I'm missing Maplantis
Nov 13 2008, 4:10 pm
By: Devourer
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4

Nov 27 2008, 5:50 pm Moose Post #61

We live in a society.

I want it.

Since you won't put it into SEN yourself, you might as well let me try it. -_-

Honestly, though, you're an admin here and you're aiding the construction of competitor sites instead of helping the one you're admin of? That's pretty fucked up.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Nov 27 2008, 6:02 pm by Mini Moose 2707.

Nov 27 2008, 6:23 pm mikelat Post #62

I'll get to work on throwing onto a server somewhere.

Quote from Mini Moose 2707
Honestly, though, you're an admin here and you're aiding the construction of competitor sites instead of helping the one you're admin of? That's pretty fucked up.
I'm not aiding anybody specifically. I'm releasing the source of maplantis to EVERYBODY. It can be used to help any site if they have the knowledge and motivation to do something with it, including SEN. I think somewhere along the way you forgot what the whole point of these map making sites was.

And frankly its pretty selfish for you to tell me what to do with my site. I may want to help out around here but you don't own me nor do you own Maplantis. Maplantis was a site intended for helping other people and it will continue to do that in new ways.

Releasing source code will take a few minutes out of my time. Coding SEN however is a completely different story, it's something I'm not motivated to do because simply I feel like I'm going back and coding something I've already done. Plus Latova requires my attention that I'm sitll not giving it enough of.

None.

Nov 27 2008, 6:39 pm Moose Post #63

We live in a society.

Quote from name:Yoshi
And frankly its pretty selfish for you to tell me what to do with my site. I may want to help out around here but you don't own me nor do you own Maplantis. Maplantis was a site intended for helping other people and it will continue to do that in new ways.
And it isn't selfish to sit on an admin position and do nothing besides look pretty and promise you'll become motivated to do something when SC2 comes out?
You "may" want to help out here? You either do or you don't. If you don't know if you want to help out, who does? LOL. Regardless, I call bullshit. What have you done that a Global Moderator couldn't have since you were hired? (okay, other than firing Esponeo.) I've been holding back a long time, but I can't say that your adminship here since the Maplantis merger has been nothing short of a farce.

Post has been edited 5 time(s), last time on Nov 27 2008, 6:48 pm by Mini Moose 2707.

Nov 27 2008, 7:04 pm Greo Post #64

Are you suggesting that Mods/Admins should be doing more enforcing, less posting? The only difference between them and regular members is that they can moderate.

None.

Nov 27 2008, 7:04 pm BlueWolf Post #65

I smell a split from SEN once again. I'm with Moose.

None.

Nov 27 2008, 7:07 pm Excalibur Post #66

The sword and the faith

Quote from name:BluEditor
No matter whats said here, Yoshi isn't making any new site. Trust me on that one.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Nov 27 2008, 7:08 pm Devourer Post #67

Hello

Quote from Excalibur
Quote from name:BluEditor
No matter whats said here, Yoshi isn't making any new site. Trust me on that one.

I'm afraid that you are right :(

Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Nov 27 2008, 7:15 pm mikelat Post #68

Quote from Mini Moose 2707
And it isn't selfish to sit on an admin position and do nothing besides look pretty and promise you'll become motivated to do something when SC2 comes out?
You "may" want to help out here? You either do or you don't. If you don't know if you want to help out, who does? LOL. Regardless, I call bullshit. What have you done that a Global Moderator couldn't have since you were hired? (okay, other than firing Esponeo.) I've been holding back a long time, but I can't say that your adminship here since the Maplantis merger has been nothing short of a farce.
Thats exactly what I said I'd probably be doing when we merged (I said something about maybe coding one or two things, but that didn't work out). Unfortunately when you agreed to a merge you were thinking more about "removing competition" then you were about what I'd do.

If it really bugs you that much that I got other things to do then go remove me as admin. However I'm not the only staff here that goes inactive when I got other things I want to do. The merger deal included me being staff, but it did not include you being able to tell me I can't release maplantis source code.

None.

Nov 27 2008, 7:19 pm Falkoner Post #69

Quote from Yoshi
There's plenty of other map making and modding sites out there. SEN and Maplantis just happen to be related because they were both made by the same person.

Yeah, I've seen the other sites, and compared to what I see here, they're jokes.

None.

Nov 27 2008, 7:19 pm BlueWolf Post #70

Maybe It worries him that releasing maplantis source will once again bring competition. I still want the source. If the community expects something from an admin, then the admin should get to work.

None.

Nov 27 2008, 7:21 pm Greo Post #71

Quote from name:
Quote from Yoshi
There's plenty of other map making and modding sites out there. SEN and Maplantis just happen to be related because they were both made by the same person.

Yeah, I've seen the other sites, and compared to what I see here, they're jokes.
*cough* starcraft.org *cough*

None.

Nov 27 2008, 7:21 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #72

👻 👾 👽 💪

Members at SEN have spawned all sorts of little communities, and most of them didn't stick around (even Maplantis itself, and that wasn't very little.) Even with Maplantis source code snippets (possibly taken from the whole), I doubt that anything will be different. I don't see how releasing it to anyone/everyone is relevant to any significant well-being (If you do see a significance, please feel free to inform me and anyone else who may want to know.)

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Nov 27 2008, 7:39 pm Greo Post #73

Quote from name:
Members at SEN have spawned all sorts of little communities, and most of them didn't stick around (even Maplantis itself, and that wasn't very little.) Even with Maplantis source code snippets (possibly taken from the whole), I doubt that anything will be different. I don't see how releasing it to anyone/everyone is relevant to any significant well-being (If you do see a significance, please feel free to inform me and anyone else who may want to know.)
This, and I think that this is getting over complicated and way off topic.

None.

Nov 27 2008, 8:01 pm Centreri Post #74

Relatively ancient and inactive

I'm already on board. Been on board for a while. Just haven't been able to do things without permissions and shit like that. I'm just sick of the connection not ever working.
I thought you'd done stuff for Maplantis. What'd you make for SEN? Something to do with clans?

None.

Nov 27 2008, 11:08 pm Matt Burch Post #75

Quote from Centreri
I'm already on board. Been on board for a while. Just haven't been able to do things without permissions and shit like that. I'm just sick of the connection not ever working.
I thought you'd done stuff for Maplantis. What'd you make for SEN? Something to do with clans?
"Currently" doing things for clans. But hard to do stuff, because when I am not working or at University, and have time to do the coding, the offline-sen isn't working!!! Or SFTP gives me errors. :(

I am bugging IP everytime I do have time to code, and the sftp doesn't work, or the site doesn't load. Not much is happening, and I'm not actually getting much of a response from IP.

I already have made several changes to it. There isn't much to do with clans atm though. There's been several new pages added. Such as content for maps/mods/files that have been uploaded to the DLDB and tagged for that clan. There's also informational pages added for any sort of information wanted. Such as rules, faqs, how-to-join, what the clan is, etc... (Instead of posting it inside the forum) Right now I'm trying to get into a convo with IP to get sftp working again, but no such luck in getting his attention.

I've already made a few posts saying I'm not doing anymore work on this, but everytime I do that, a week later I finally get a response saying it's back working. So w/e.. I just piece away at it every once in a while.

Now for maplantis, I've been recreating the skin using my own code for scripts/functions from my other site. Only just taking the layout, skin, and images from http://www.staredit.net/maplantis . So like I already have everything coded, I just need to insert the maplantis layout. And now apparently need a new name for it. I can get registering, logging in, and posting all skinned properly this weekend.

Yoshi, if this is the way I do "bring it back" what sort of info do you still want on it, in the footer, considering that it is not run on Latova anymore? (from your previous list) I will be more than happy to post any sort of thanks/message about your contributions before.

Having the open-source code would be of great help in having everything set up faster. I am not doing this just to have it as "my" site. I just see people wanting it back, and not too many people enthusiastic about recreating it themselves; So I am giving it a shot to please the people who are wanting it back.

If MA gets unaddicted to WoW, and would like some help with stardepot, I would like to help out with that instead of remaking maplantis.

None.

Nov 27 2008, 11:44 pm mikelat Post #76

Quote from Greo
Quote from name:
Quote from Yoshi

Don't knock SC.org. They're a great site, they work hard there.

Quote from Matt Burch
Now for maplantis, I've been recreating the skin using my own code for scripts/functions from my other site. Only just taking the layout, skin, and images from http://www.staredit.net/maplantis . So like I already have everything coded, I just need to insert the maplantis layout. And now apparently need a new name for it. I can get registering, logging in, and posting all skinned properly this weekend.

Yoshi, if this is the way I do "bring it back" what sort of info do you still want on it, in the footer, considering that it is not run on Latova anymore? (from your previous list) I will be more than happy to post any sort of thanks/message about your contributions before.

Having the open-source code would be of great help in having everything set up faster. I am not doing this just to have it as "my" site. I just see people wanting it back, and not too many people enthusiastic about recreating it themselves; So I am giving it a shot to please the people who are wanting it back.

If MA gets unaddicted to WoW, and would like some help with stardepot, I would like to help out with that instead of remaking maplantis.
If you're actually running latova, the copyright it has will be fine. If you're using the skin, a thanks on maybe your "about" or "staff" page will be fine.

I didn't think you liked Maplantis or the whole Maplantis philosophy, although I'm glad someone is trying to make a successor.

I'll see if I can find some time tonight to post it up... I'll link to a blog post I'll make on my latoblog outlining how the map generator works and stuff like that.

None.

Nov 28 2008, 2:32 am Symmetry Post #77

Dungeon Master

Quote from name:Yoshi
Quote from Greo
Quote from name:
Quote from Yoshi

Don't knock SC.org. They're a great site, they work hard there.

I actually interpreted that the other way around, that he was pointing out sc.org as an exception to that. Care to clarify, greo? :P

:voy: :jaff: :voy: :jaff:

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4
  Back to forum