Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Theory and Ideas > Topic: TinyMap Compressor
TinyMap Compressor
Jul 30 2008, 3:17 am
By: O)FaRTy1billion[MM]
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Aug 3 2008, 4:46 pm Falkoner Post #41

Well, LW, the biggest thing I think you could help with is getting WAV compression working, because at the moment TinyMap sucks with WAVs. The main problem is, it can't compress them whatsoever, and since he completely remakes the CHK, he can't just transfer them over in their current state.

None.

Aug 3 2008, 4:47 pm Falkoner Post #42

Okay, this is weird, on the forum list it says I posted, but I can't see the post, and I've refreshed multiple times now..

EDIT: And now that I double post, it appears..

None.

Aug 3 2008, 4:49 pm The_z0r Post #43

Farty had that problem. Maybe something is up with this thread.

None.

Aug 3 2008, 5:08 pm LegacyWeapon Post #44

Quote from Falkoner
Well, LW, the biggest thing I think you could help with is getting WAV compression working, because at the moment TinyMap sucks with WAVs. The main problem is, it can't compress them whatsoever, and since he completely remakes the CHK, he can't just transfer them over in their current state.
WAV file compression in the MPQ or WAV file compression before putting it back into the MPQ?

None.

Aug 3 2008, 5:24 pm Brontobyte Post #45

RPD(v3).scx
Source 95583 100.000%
OSMap 52553 54.982%
OSMap2 70465 73.721%
ProEdit 57643 60.307% Destroys unit names.
Ube2 56178 58.774%
Ube3 48 0.050% Invalid scenario.
TinyMap 53467 55.938%
Winner: OSMAP... I'll have to look into this and make TinyMap better. ;)
(Now I'm sad. :C)

Aw, my map broke the mold? O_O'

It has max locations, tons of trigger comments, tons of custom units name, ect...

WTF is up with all of your .rar files? .zip plz.

None.

Aug 3 2008, 7:03 pm Kaias Post #46

Quote from Falkoner
Okay, this is weird, on the forum list it says I posted, but I can't see the post, and I've refreshed multiple times now..

EDIT: And now that I double post, it appears..
Maybe it has to do with it starting a new page

None.

Aug 3 2008, 9:42 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #47

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from Falkoner
WAVs and CHK are unrelated. I did get WAV compression working, it's just not as good as some other things. OSMap 1 and 2 seem to have the same WAV compression as TinyMap. TinyMap destroys the listfile (it is wasted space), so it is hard to tell.

Just get WinRar, Brontobyte. Everything I put is in .rar.

Post has been edited 4 time(s), last time on Aug 3 2008, 9:49 pm by FaRTy1billion.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Aug 3 2008, 10:13 pm Ahli Post #48

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

osmap2 has no wav compression, or?
or do you call converting the wav to a 0kb file compression? or what did I do wrong all the time? >_<
I don't like tha fact that you have no errors with tinymap... :|
But as far as we know you, you will find our problem.

(and why don't you use 7-zip? ^^)

Aug 3 2008, 10:18 pm Falkoner Post #49

Why can't you do the exact same WAV compression SC does again? That seems to work very very well..

None.

Aug 3 2008, 10:27 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #50

👻 👾 👽 💪

I compared it and TinyMap does it better than StarEdit by about 2KB. Some files, obviously, don't compress as well. I think that has to do with the type of WAV file being used.

Quote from Ahli
osmap2 has no wav compression, or?
or do you call converting the wav to a 0kb file compression? or what did I do wrong all the time? >_<
I don't like tha fact that you have no errors with tinymap... :|
But as far as we know you, you will find our problem.

(and why don't you use 7-zip? ^^)
OSMap2 compresses WAVs...
TinyMap had tons of errors, I just fixed all the ones I found. It isn't really doing anything that has a lot of variation to error a lot... It's 1 function that does the same thing every time.

EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Aug 3 2008, 10:28 pm Falkoner Post #51

What about SCM Draft, does it do better than that? When you enter a WAV file into SCM you have the option to comrpess it with different qualities.

None.

Aug 3 2008, 10:29 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #52

👻 👾 👽 💪

I have no idea. I don't know what SCMDraft does. I don't even know if it was StarEdit that compressed these. I'm just comparing default map to OSMap and TinyMap.

In RUSH some of the default files are better, and some are worse than TinyMap.

EDIT:
SCMDraft has the same options as TinyMap except it also has "No Compression". I could find a WAV library and figure out what compresses and sounds best...

StarEdit didn't compress my wavs at all. O.o
If I could figure out how to resample I could make it force PCM 16kHz 16bit. I still need to test mono/stereo...
LOL. I don't hear a significant change in quality in any of these.

PCM 16kHz 8/16Bit Mono/Stereo Comparison

Mono        Stereo
Program    8Bit  16Bit  8Bit  16Bit
[Default]  618K  1236K  1236K 2472K
StarEdit   618K  1236K  1236K 2472K
            100%  100%   100%  100%
SCMDraft   618K  335K   1236K 671K
            100%   27%   100%   27%
WinMPQ     595K  336K   823K  668K
             96%   27%   67%    27%

Winner: 16Bit Mono

I just remembered my start file was 16bit Mono... I need a 16Bit stereo for more accurate results.

Post has been edited 5 time(s), last time on Aug 3 2008, 11:59 pm by FaRTy1billion.

Aug 4 2008, 5:21 pm Brontobyte Post #53

Quote from O)FaRTy1billion[MM]
I have no idea. I don't know what SCMDraft does. I don't even know if it was StarEdit that compressed these. I'm just comparing default map to OSMap and TinyMap.

In RUSH some of the default files are better, and some are worse than TinyMap.

EDIT:
SCMDraft has the same options as TinyMap except it also has "No Compression". I could find a WAV library and figure out what compresses and sounds best...

StarEdit didn't compress my wavs at all. O.o
If I could figure out how to resample I could make it force PCM 16kHz 16bit. I still need to test mono/stereo...
LOL. I don't hear a significant change in quality in any of these.

PCM 16kHz 8/16Bit Mono/Stereo Comparison

Mono        Stereo
Program    8Bit  16Bit  8Bit  16Bit
[Default]  618K  1236K  1236K 2472K
StarEdit   618K  1236K  1236K 2472K
            100%  100%   100%  100%
SCMDraft   618K  335K   1236K 671K
            100%   27%   100%   27%
WinMPQ     595K  336K   823K  668K
             96%   27%   67%    27%

Winner: 16Bit Mono

I just remembered my start file was 16bit Mono... I need a 16Bit stereo for more accurate results.

Even though 16Bit Mono won, which would sound better? 16Bit Stereo.

None.

Aug 4 2008, 5:47 pm Falkoner Post #54

Nope, because SC doesn't player Stereo, it simply does Mono, even if given a stereo file :) OH! That could be another compression feature! Make them all Mono! Also, 16 bit always compresses better with SC than 8 bit, SC can't compress 8 bit at all.

None.

Aug 4 2008, 8:05 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #55

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from Falkoner
Nope, because SC doesn't player Stereo, it simply does Mono, even if given a stereo file :)
I did not know that... Let us see if it is true. I'll make a file that uses ONE channel, but is stereo.

Quote from Falkoner
OH! That could be another compression feature! Make them all Mono!
What do you think the point of me doing this was...?

Quote from Falkoner
Also, 16 bit always compresses better with SC than 8 bit, SC can't compress 8 bit at all.
It can compress 8bit, just not as well. SCMDraft doesn't even try, which is fail. StarEdit didn't compress any of them.

Also, all of those sound files when I listened to them sounded the same. That may not be true for everything, but whatever.

Aug 4 2008, 8:32 pm Falkoner Post #56

I did not know that... Let us see if it is true. I'll make a file that uses ONE channel, but is stereo.

I mean that I think it automatically combines them into both channels, you could test it with a song or something that uses one channel or the other, you'll see that it just plays it out both.

None.

Aug 4 2008, 8:57 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #57

👻 👾 👽 💪

That's what I said...

Aug 6 2008, 6:02 am ClansAreForGays Post #58

I also get permission denied 70 when I open an uncompressed map that I just compressed, and when I just want to close the program.

When I try to Compress I get the errors 63 and then 55, and it gives me this -

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 6 2008, 7:06 am by ClansAreForGays. Reason: Uploaded wrong file

Aug 6 2008, 9:45 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #59

👻 👾 👽 💪

Can you send me the original map? Also, open it with what?
63 = bad record number
55 = file already open

I don't see how 63 happens... it is very controlled. 55... O.o

I wish VB let me see which line the error happened on... I could give you a version that spams you with message boxes with incrementing numbers.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 6 2008, 7:04 pm by FaRTy1billion.

Aug 7 2008, 4:45 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #60

👻 👾 👽 💪

I *may* have fixed the problem! I'll upload the build later.

Issues:
- In MBRF WAV writing it used the wrong indexing variable for which triggerblock to read. In my map it kept reading WAV 12800, which is obviously invalid.
- When writing SCM maps, I had BW sections check >= 63, instead of > 63 so TinyMap would attempt to write BroodWar sections in an SCM map.

Hopefully this fixes it.

(@Mods: Sorry for double post. People'd be less likely to read this unless it showed new, and I didn't feel like waiting for someone to post or telling someone to make a spampost.)

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 >
  Back to forum