Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Assistance > Topic: A few questions dealing with modding
A few questions dealing with modding
Jul 17 2008, 2:03 am
By: Mahajarama  

Jul 17 2008, 2:03 am Mahajarama Post #1

Hi, I am new to both this community and the concept of modding, so I apologize for asking what may seem to be "newbish" questions. I may edit this topic from time to time to add more questions (To prevent flooding of topics).

First question: Is there a way to make larvae spawn around a certain unit, other than a hatchery/lair/hive? I tried toggling the "Script (Spread creep & spawn larva)" AI action in datedit; however, it's not doing anything.

Thanks in advance.

None.

Jul 17 2008, 2:06 am FlyingHat Post #2

Quote from Mahajarama
Hi, I am new to both this community and the concept of modding, so I apologize for asking what may seem to be "newbish" questions. I may edit this topic from time to time to add more questions (To prevent flooding of topics).

First question: Is there a way to make larvae spawn around a certain unit, other than a hatchery/lair/hive? I tried toggling the "Script (Spread creep & spawn larva)" AI action in datedit; however, it's not doing anything.

Thanks in advance.
Hi, we're all glad to have you in the community. To answer the question, there is no way to make larvae spawn around a moving unit because larvae are hardcoded. Meaning that Blizzard coded the unit so that current modding tools cannot mess with it. Other hardcoded things include mind control, the queen, the siege tank's transform animation, and quite a few other units. It's best to leave them alone to avoid crashes. Unless if you're making a simple graphical change or if you're just making minor changes in DatEdit.

None.

Jul 17 2008, 2:43 am WoAHorde Post #3

Although not exactly what you're asking, it is possible to build Larva from a building like a Marine from a Barracks, and if I remember correctly, will wonder around. It's wondering won't be limited to around the building it was created from, however.

None.

Jul 17 2008, 3:37 am Mahajarama Post #4

Oh, I see. Then again, I believe I read, somewhere on this forum, that it is indeed possible to make larva spawn around a certain unit.

Here it is: (Unless I'm misinterpreting what these individuals are saying)

Quote from IskatuMesk
Quote from O)FaRTy1billion[MM]
Quote from Polaris
-can i make a spawn larva in other buildings(like spawning Pool?)
I believe so.
You can do it in memory editing, so I can only assume you can do it with DatEdit.
I did it to a marine. :D The larva follow it everywhere they can.

I've never seen this option in datedit.

Link: http://www.staredit.net/topic/3092/

Now, this quote brings another question to surface: What is memory editing?

None.

Jul 17 2008, 4:09 am Corbo Post #5

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

Memory editing is what people, wrongly, call "grafting".
It involves the modification of starcraft's tech tree, along with other variables like spellcasting and abilities useage.
Basically, it's something like making marines build out of a supply depot and giving a medic the stasis field spell and so on..
Firegraft, the current tool we use for memory editing, also brings several exe edits that allow you to modify things that not even with memory editing your could. Like the cloaking field ability useage, spider mine count and much more.
You might want to check up firegraft, I recommend arming yourself with the modding tool package

fuck you all

Jul 17 2008, 4:22 am Mahajarama Post #6

Oh, so that is how they do it.

As for the modding tools package, I have already downloaded the entire package. Furthermore, the Firegraft application in the package is not supported by the current version of Starcraft. Since I want my first mod to be able to be played on battle net, with no problems, I am assuming that I am not able to utilize Firegraft.

None.

Jul 17 2008, 5:12 am A_of-s_t Post #7

aka idmontie

Quote from Mahajarama
Oh, so that is how they do it.

As for the modding tools package, I have already downloaded the entire package. Furthermore, the Firegraft application in the package is not supported by the current version of Starcraft. Since I want my first mod to be able to be played on battle net, with no problems, I am assuming that I am not able to utilize Firegraft.
Downgrade SC with Farty's downgrading program.

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Jul 17 2008, 6:43 am Corbo Post #8

Don't listen to AofsT, even when downgrading is an option you still won't be able to play it on b.net.

Must of the current mods require downgrading because the use of firegraft and what we do is play on alternate servers like shadowflare's realm where version check is disabled and we can play with our friends and so but not on b.net.

If you'd like your mod to be playable on b.net you'll have to say no to firegraft.

fuck you all

Jul 17 2008, 6:47 am A_of-s_t Post #9

aka idmontie

Quote from Corbo
Don't listen to AofsT, even when downgrading is an option you still won't be able to play it on b.net.

Must of the current mods require downgrading because the use of firegraft and what we do is play on alternate servers like shadowflare's realm where version check is disabled and we can play with our friends and so but not on b.net.

If you'd like your mod to be playable on b.net you'll have to say no to firegraft.
Shadowflare's Realm is better than b.net. Less noobs.

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Jul 17 2008, 10:27 am ShadowFlare Post #10

lol, less people, too. :P Of course, when you are trying to play a mod, that doesn't really matter. You are likely going to be using a method other than battle.net to find someone to play, anyway.

Hehe, but still... I don't think I want too many people regularly on my server at all times of the day.

None.

Jul 17 2008, 4:07 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #11

👻 👾 👽 💪

I've never seen more than like 4 people on it throughout the day.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Jul 17 2008, 4:20 pm NirvanaJung Post #12

lol .....

None.

Jul 17 2008, 7:48 pm Corbo Post #13

Quote from ShadowFlare
lol, less people, too. :P Of course, when you are trying to play a mod, that doesn't really matter. You are likely going to be using a method other than battle.net to find someone to play, anyway.

Hehe, but still... I don't think I want too many people regularly on my server at all times of the day.

You know, we use it to play Diablo 2 too :P

fuck you all

Jul 17 2008, 10:15 pm Symmetry Post #14

Dungeon Master

Stay on topic. I don't want to have to close this:

Quote from Mahajarama
I may edit this topic from time to time to add more questions (To prevent flooding of topics)..

:voy: :jaff: :voy: :jaff:

Jul 20 2008, 8:22 pm The Great Yam Post #15

Another thing to note about modding is that if you change any of the game's integral memory you will desync with any player not running the mod, because you cannot play Starcraft with someone Starcraft is interpreting game actions different than yours.

IE, you have made a mod that makes a non-cloaking unit able to cloak. Your Starcraft will allow that unit to cloak, but when that action is interpreted on their computer, it will be invalid, and it will desync the game (essentially dropping people on both ends).

You would never be able to play your mod on Battle.net unless EVERYONE was running it and you updated with every patch and redistributed it to every player. Not gonna happen.

None.

Jul 21 2008, 8:48 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #16

👻 👾 👽 💪

Or if it is an SCMLoader map and they are running SCMLoader. :P

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Jul 23 2008, 3:00 am Mahajarama Post #17

I have yet another question to ask:

Recently, I have began to use Firegraft for my mod. More specifically, I have used Firegraft to mess around with some of the EXE edits. A few of the options in the list, however, do not appear to be functioning. For instance, the "Allow all races to Enter Nydus Canal" does not function. Furthermore, the "Multiple SCVs on build" does not function when I enable it. Am I missing something here?

None.

Options
  Back to forum