Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 General Discussion > Topic: SC2 Puzzle-map contest
SC2 Puzzle-map contest
Oct 14 2012, 8:40 pm
By: payne  

Oct 14 2012, 8:40 pm payne Post #1

:payne:

Before getting into the organization of such a contest, I wanted to make sure there would be participants.

Would anyone be interested into having a PUZZLE contest?
I've been dreaming about such a contest since SC2 was released.

None.

Oct 14 2012, 9:08 pm DevliN Post #2

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I'd be interested, but highly doubt there are enough people on here still working with SC2 who aren't too lazy to actually make something. :/

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Oct 14 2012, 9:16 pm Roy Post #3

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

How long will the contest be? 1 week? 2 weeks? 3 weeks? Or a year?

What's the scope of the contest? If it's just going to be a fun little project, I'll do my best to participate. If you're expecting some enterprise-level polished map, I probably would be too intimidated to enter.

Quote from DevliN
I'd be interested, but highly doubt there are enough people on here still working with SC2 who aren't too lazy to actually make something. :/
I haven't touched SC2 in ages, but only because I've had no real excuse.

Oct 14 2012, 9:33 pm payne Post #4

I guess a month would be a good time-length, if we're looking for a well polished project.
It'd allow people to try to recreate a Portal-style puzzle map, or a puzzling-style one... just like the ones who feel like only pulling out a little bit of creativity can do so as well. We could encourage whatever we want by changing the way maps will be evaluated.
It'd also give some time for the less-skilled to inform themselves and learn a bit more about the editor.

I know Devourer was interested into such a project, so we might have another contestant there! :)

None.

Oct 14 2012, 9:39 pm Dem0n Post #5

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Devourer's like gone, dude. He's barely been active in the past few months.

Oct 14 2012, 10:32 pm payne Post #6

Quote from Dem0n
Devourer's like gone, dude. He's barely been active in the past few months.
I saw him online just yesterday I believe.

None.

Oct 15 2012, 12:50 am DevliN Post #7

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Devourer still comes on often. He just lurks.

My Overwatch addiction.

Oct 17 2012, 9:46 am Devourer Post #8

Hello

Yup. However, just yesterday a friend of mine and I have been thinking about mapping again.
But it most likely would not be a puzzle map plus I would not count on my motivation.

It's sad.
Blizzard should not have changed the way of hosting custom games. Knowing that your maps have a very low popularity probability, finishing a map becomes harder and harder, especially for me to be honest.
I feel like most people like those very simple maps, so I had given it a shot and recreated the Blood Marathon, which actually became a success. Been on page 1 for several weeks when arcade launched and during the beta.
Although I do not think that I am someone whose motivation is dependent on public recognition, this somehow still bothers me quite a lot.
I love the editor though. If they fixed every bug or made the editor more fluent (regarding the data-editor), it would be perfect.

I've tried some stuff a long time ago, but it appears the map ended up corrupted and I cannot open it anymore. The editor freezes and the game starts lagging if I remember correctly.
But I've attached it, maybe it will load for you which I doubt though.

Payne, a puzzle map of yours? I would love to play it.
Sames goes for everyone else. Puzzle maps are like the very essence of mapping to me.
Oh, and I love rooms. My attached map uses the room feature. Nothing is better than rooms. Oh look, a door. I wonder what's next. A fucking spire? Some weird puzzles? Enemeis? Or Obama fighting Romney with lightsabers? Can't wait to open that door. AW SHIT. It's locked.

Oh, and payne, you may want to start a contest like this with the launch of HotS.
And yes, I come here quite often and I am not planning on changing that.

EDIT:
Oh any by the way, one of the worst decisions made by Blizzard: uploading a map as locked. Nice, I like that, but why shouldn't the uploader himself, the creator, be allowed to redownload his own file in case his local copy got somehow lost? Well, Devourer, there goes another good project which actually had a good chance. It's not that I am unable of keeping my files, but an unexpected technical issue made this happen.

Attachments:
Secrets of Ulaan x.SC2Map
Hits: 2 Size: 2930.5kb

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Oct 17 2012, 9:59 am by Devourer.

Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Oct 17 2012, 2:50 pm Ahli Post #9

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

Locking maps is like map protection in SCBW.

Locked maps can be partially recovered. Biggest problem is the extra trigger stuff for the trigger module because that isn't uploaded. You would need to use a text editor to do/change the triggers. Data stuff and file imports are very easy to recover. I'm not sure about terrain. Also the cached maps can't be opened in the editor. But it might work, if one creates a new map, saves that in a components folder and places the files from the cached maps into it. Also, I don't know about the terrain stuff, but I would try to copy these files into a fresh map.

Oct 17 2012, 10:27 pm Generalpie Post #10

Staredit Puckwork

I would, except it wouldn't be very good because I can't terrain...

None.

Oct 19 2012, 5:05 am payne Post #11

Well, I unfortunately lost access to SC2.
I will host this contest when I come back home in about a month. :)

... Prepare your ideas, and no one cares if you start mapping now. Just know there -will- be a contest. Do whatever you want, I don't like contests' restrictive rules. :awesome:
Hell, if you want, submit something that's not even a puzzle. :><:

None.

Nov 9 2012, 9:45 pm payne Post #12

I'm back.
Is there still interest in this? :)

None.

Nov 10 2012, 3:31 am DevliN Post #13

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Most likely. :)

My Overwatch addiction.