Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Mapping Tools > Topic: Imported sound problem
Imported sound problem
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Jan 28 2011, 4:25 am
By: PIESOFTHENORTH  

Jan 28 2011, 4:25 am PIESOFTHENORTH Post #1

I made sure the sounds that I were importing were mono in audacity but when I import them they don't work. I had previously put some sounds in and they worked, but this is the first time I've tried putting sounds in with SCMDraft.

None.

Jan 28 2011, 4:31 am Roy Post #2

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

1. Be sure the name of the wav files do not have spaces in them.
2. Be sure they are proper wav files. The "Play Preview" should work in SCMDraft.
3. Be sure they are 16-bit and not 8-bit, because 16-bit compresses better in the map. (Not required or a cause of the wav files not working; this is just a strongly urged suggestion).
4. Be sure your triggers are properly referencing the wav files.

#1 is most likely your problem.

P.S.: StarCraft supports stereo wav files. Most people don't know this, but it's tried and true. Mono is just a significantly smaller file size.

Jan 28 2011, 5:31 am PIESOFTHENORTH Post #3

If it's 32 bit, or 10 megabytes, how do I make it 16 bit, or smaller?
(still mono we're talkin)

None.

Jan 28 2011, 9:05 am rockz Post #4

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

16 bit in the pulldown menu.
set project rate in the bottom left (don't use the one in the pulldown menu, that's a lossless transform and just speeds up or slows down the audio).

The smallest you should ever do is 16 bit, 8000 Hz. "decent" sound quality is at 16 bit, 11025 Hz. Since wav files are completely uncompressed, we can actually use the bitrate to calculate the size based on duration. 16 bit, 11025 Hz is 21.5 kB/s. 16 bit 8000 Hz is 15.6 kB/s. This adds up pretty fast, so a minute would be 1.26 MB, which might be far to much for you map.

Typically 16 bit audio compresses to less than 50% of its original size, which means it will be smaller than 8 bit audio inside the mpq.

Make sure the files you're putting in are playing OUTSIDE of SCMDraft, as sometimes files don't save right in audacity (use the beta version too, it's better).

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Jan 29 2011, 3:37 am PIESOFTHENORTH Post #5

woo hoo thanks!

None.

Options
  Back to forum