Staredit Network > Forums > Staredit Network > Topic: SEN Store and Other Needed Changes
SEN Store and Other Needed Changes
Aug 30 2010, 4:04 pm
By: Aristocrat
Pages: 1 2 36 >

Polls
Which store system do you want?
Which store system do you want?
Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
Fixed item prices 25

70%
Dynamic item prices (Current) 11

31%
Please login to vote.
Poll has 36 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Aug 30 2010, 4:04 pm Aristocrat Post #1

This is a copy of my post about the SEN Store System taken from the http://www.staredit.net/topic/2177/ topic. I decided to create a new topic for this debate, considering the magnitude of the minerals system and thus the store.

I am just about fed up with this store system.

The compendium tells me this:
Signature Enabler
Enables the use of signatures.

Average cost: 175
Rarity: 25
But the store interface shows this:

Cost: 334
4 in stock
Since it goes up to 334 minerals, can we assume it goes down to 16 minerals as well? What nonsense; just because someone scrambles in on a lucky day they can get a signature for less than a raffle ticket? Since minerals were brought back, I have yet to see any of the items cost fewer minerals than even 150% of their average cost. Something is wrong here.

But before you admins fix the randomization code, please think about this: why are the prices randomized? Are random prices necessary? The way I see it, they are completely pointless and only discourage people from using the system simply because luckier people can get the same thing for substantially less.

Here are the benefits and drawbacks of each system outlined:

Static Prices, infinite stock, all items listed:
Benefits:
  • Simple, intuitive, foolproof system.
  • Prices are stable, thus non-confusing and predictable.
  • People working towards a store item has a "goal" of mineral amount towards which they will work for by contributing positively.
  • Impossible to have glitchy price levels if the code is written and double-checked by a moderately educated Homo sapiens.
  • Fair to all users of the store.
  • Stocks never run out, thus everyone can purchase an item whenever they have enough minerals.
  • Items are always stocked, rather than disappearing from the store page because of "rarity".
  • A set value for items allows users to be appropriately compensated/charged due to any change in prices.
Drawbacks:
  • None.

Static Prices, limited stock, items randomly listed:
Benefits:
  • Novelty value.
  • ...?
Drawbacks:
  • Unstable prices, unpredictable, impossible to evaluate when an item is at a sufficiently low value.
  • The prices' fluctuation will cause some members to spend more minerals than others for the same item.
  • The random nature of the prices mean that it is occasionally cheaper to purchase two items (like PM +75) than to purchase one more expensive item that has the same function (PM +150).
  • Makes no sense. SEN does not run on minerals. We are not a market economy. Item stock is a bunch of bits in a hard drive rather than some physical limitation on how many of ________ can be given to members.

Yes, okay, IP made the store system. However, IP is not infallible, even if he does pay the bill that keeps SEN online. Things need to change.

A debate ensued, and I have copied the appropriate posts here.

Quote from Devourer
I thought I did already said that: the signature cost been made cheaper. This does not affect the items currently being in the store. Thus, you have to wait till after the next stock-reset.

Quote from Aristocrat
I thought I did already said that: the signature cost been made cheaper. This does not affect the items currently being in the store. Thus, you have to wait till after the next stock-reset.

No. Dynamic prices are horrid. Please consider revamping the store to hold items with static costs.
Quote from Devourer
Now, that's your opinion :rolleyes:

Quote from Aristocrat
Now, that's your opinion :rolleyes:

Give a good reason why we should have a store with dynamic prices instead of one where all item prices are non-varying.
Quote from NudeRaider
Because then it's a gamble. Do you wait for the item to become even cheaper or do you buy now?
Gambling is a game, and minerals are a game. Generally it makes minerals less boring.

Give a good reason why we should have a store with static items.

Quote from Centreri
Make it fair/predictable. I don't see why someone who checked the store at the right time gets it cheaply instantly, while someone else has to either pay more or wait for an extended period of time.

The reason for static prices is fairness. That for random is?

Also, you doodz promised other skins. What the hell.

Quote from Aristocrat

Read my post. I even boxed it with
tags.
Quote from DavidJCobb
I'm with Aristo on all counts. The randomization is completely and totally worthless, as is the "stock" system.

Quote from CecilSunkure
Because then it's a gamble. Do you wait for the item to become even cheaper or do you buy now?
Gambling is a game, and minerals are a game. Generally it makes minerals less boring.

Because it gives people a clear and focused goal. If the prices are randomized, then people are going to just wait for the cheapest deals, thus people won't be buying items nearly as often, and people have a less concise goal to achieve.

What gives more incentive to contribute to SEN: I need 200 minerals for a signature, and I want a signature!! or: I have 100 minerals and I want a signature; I'm going to wait until I can get a good deal at the store.

Since people are going to be waiting for the cheapest prices, the chances of being able to buy an item are cut in half, and the store's activity is thus going to be cut in half.

I say it would be more fun and meaningful to have all the available items static and in a large list, categorized by price or function -I don't care.
Quote from DevliN
I like the stock idea for rare items like name color, custom smilie, Excaliban Trophy, etc.

Quote from NudeRaider
Oh didn't read your big post before, sorry.

The problem is you guys don't see it as a game. You're making this too serious. Like a business like amazon. Where everything has fixed prices, and is always in stock. Shopping via amazon is surely very fun... No it isn't. It's just convenient. 'Cause you buy things you actually have use for. Does a shoutbox color have a use? No. It's just for fun. (And before you say it: Even though avatar+ has a use it's still not changing anything you do at SEN. It's really just for fun.)
The SEN store is more comparable to a flea market where you stroll over every now and then and check for interesting things. Granted there's too few items right now to convey that feeling, but still that's the general idea. It's more fun to check the store every now and then and when you see a good deal you're happy and if not you just come back another day. It's not like it's gonna run away or like you really need the items offered.
Also working towards a goal would encourage spam. The idea is to just relax, post like you always do and when you get the opportunity you spend your wealth.

Quote from Aristocrat
Of course, it's difficult for you to sound convincing, as someone with a custom smiley, name color, signature, title, and plentiful avatar/PM space, already possessing everything that is a part of your definition of "fun".

Shopping via amazon is surely very fun... No it isn't. It's just convenient.
And you prefer... inconvenience? I'm lost here.

Also working towards a goal would encourage spam.Like the fact that having the mineral system itself doesn't.
Quote from NudeRaider
Of course, it's difficult for you to sound convincing, as someone with a custom smiley, name color, signature, title, and plentiful avatar/PM space, already possessing everything that is a part of your definition of "fun".

Shopping via amazon is surely very fun... No it isn't. It's just convenient.
And you prefer... inconvenience? I'm lost here.

Also working towards a goal would encourage spam.Like the fact that having the mineral system itself doesn't.I have said on several occasions that every item in use and in your inventory should have been deleted to have a fresh start for everyone. It may be difficult for you to believe but I earned all these items through helpful posting and with the same store and I was always happy when I could add another item to my collection. I was never bothered by fluctuating prices. On the contrary! I saw it as a chance to get my item earlier than with fixed prices which usually worked out. So I don't understand why you don't appreciate the chance to get items cheaper, too.

I think you missed my point. I wasn't saying that the SEN store is inconvenient, it's simply a different system. I still like the comparison with a flea market. Sure, it might be less convenient than going to a store and buying a vase for a fixed price when you know they have what you like, but you can't call a flea market where you're looking for something interesting inconvenient. Well, actually, I'm sure some do, but those simply do not belong there. Those people should just press on "disable fun" and get their free sig and be happy until the end of days. Unfortunately, despite quite a few voices demanding the return of "disable fun", there's no word if or when it will return. Still I'm sure it will, eventually.

Yes, we knew it would encourage some SENners to post more than they normally would, but we love minerals so we decided that by taking appropriate measures we can keep the spam to a minimum and maybe even encourage productivity. No reason to alter regulations in a way that could make people spam more.
Quote from Devourer
Because many said that the store is totally bugged...
It is as it should be, there is nothing "horribly wrong".

Min cost: 50, max cost:150. Average: 100! Rly?! Ya!
This is all, nothing else. E.g. name color
1000-2000 average: 1500. (if these are correct values).

Stop crying about it.

Quote from Aristocrat
Because many said that the store is totally bugged...
It is as it should be, there is nothing "horribly wrong".

Min cost: 50, max cost:150. Average: 100! Rly?! Ya!
This is all, nothing else. E.g. name color
1000-2000 average: 1500. (if these are correct values).

Stop crying about it.

Are you serious? Have you clicked on the store page?

Store page:[encase]

Shoutbox Colors
Enables the use of permanently selecting any color for the shoutbox.
Cost: 560
3 in stock

Compendium:

Shoutbox Colors
Enables the use of permanently selecting any color for the shoutbox.

Average cost: 275
Rarity: 50

Assuming 560 is max value, and 275 the average, the min value must be -10 minerals.

Obviously, something is bugged here. Please stop being so insistent that nothing is broken and actually check the store page before dismissing everything.
Quote from Devourer
Actually, there is a cost modifier which increases the price by X after calculating the price.
lets say, the modifier is 25, min price 50 and max 100

Price: 90 (random) + 25 -> 115.

Quote from Aristocrat
Actually, there is a cost modifier which increases the price by X after calculating the price.
lets say, the modifier is 25, min price 50 and max 100

Price: 90 (random) + 25 -> 115.

What is the point of the modifier when you can just increase both the min price and the max price by 25 and get the same effect? The modifier effectively raises the average price. Therefore, the average price should take the modifier into account as well, otherwise it would be an erroneous display.
Quote from Devourer
IP coded it before I worked on SEN. I simply used his code, because why should I recode stuff which was already done?

Quote from NudeRaider
Because it's broken? :rolleyes:

Quote from Devourer
define broken, lol. Broken is something different, this is rather intended.

Then you have bad intentions. The example Aristo has shown is clearly stupid. The price range should be smaller.
Which do you support? The current system, or a store with static prices?

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Aug 30 2010, 9:54 pm by Aristocrat. Reason: Lolwut

None.

Aug 30 2010, 4:12 pm MadZombie Post #2

I think only two things need to be done.

1. turning off the dynamic-ness that is makes the price fluctuate based on whatever reason. Either have a stock amount of have the prices flux. One or the other not both. I prefer static prices with a certain amount of stock that gets refilled every X amount of days k thx.

2.Bring in "(Vespene) Gas" for the 'useless' boards (eg posting in null gets you gas) and then change the prices for things like signature enabler and other forum basics to have an alternative price in gas as well as mineral ( X minerals or XX gas). I mean signatures are really a "null" based item while other things that are useful should be purchased with 'useful' money.

Posting in null for signature enabler and title while posting in the more useful forums for more USEFUL( I'd name some but theirs only like 4 store items) items.

Also can we make this a "Store item suggestions" thread? K thx :3

Edit: I don't want to get rid of the limited stock because I still want the trading feature (we have that right?) to be used. If someone has spare of the item while their are none in stock the person could buy it instantly from someone for a higher price or wait for it to get stocked to get it for the actual price. I was doing that with name changes and other items when we had the old store. Sadly I didn't get to sell anything because the store feature was shut down and I lost everything. (boo)

EDIT2: Honestly the prices atm are pretty good. The only bad pricing I think are the signature enabler and the title anabler. Everything else seems to be at a good price but since it's dynamic they will change, so I still prefer static and I'm okay with these prices. I say that because I remember these were pretty much that same exact prices for the old SEN store except the income was from every forum back then so something still has to change. I wish every forum gave us all minerals again then I'd be truly happy with the store system with just that, all forums give us minerals. Everything would be perfect.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Aug 30 2010, 4:39 pm by MadZombie.

None.

Aug 30 2010, 7:34 pm DevliN Post #3

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

You quoted me twice in there. ;)

As far as I know, the Signature Enabler is actually closer to 175. The problem is that Devourer changed the price after the existing 3 went "on sale" in the store, so their value is still much higher. Once those 3 are gone and the next batch of Signature Enablers goes up, they'll be closer to the price listed in the compendium.

Also...
Quote from Aristocrat
But before you admins fix the randomization code
The Admins wont be fixing anything. It would be Devourer doing the fixing, supposing something needs to be fixed.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Aug 30 2010, 7:36 pm UnholyUrine Post #4

Read Avatar.

'nuff said

Fuck I didn't even notice they removed avatar titles

It used to say "I paid 482 minerals for this piece of crap!"

... 'nuff said

None.

Aug 30 2010, 7:46 pm Aristocrat Post #5

Quote from DevliN
As far as I know, the Signature Enabler is actually closer to 175. The problem is that Devourer changed the price after the existing 3 went "on sale" in the store, so their value is still much higher. Once those 3 are gone and the next batch of Signature Enablers goes up, they'll be closer to the price listed in the compendium.

Isn't that a bit of a problem? The shop should restock on a timer, not restock based on sales. Now no one will buy these three, thinking that if they wait then they can get things for cheaper.

None.

Aug 30 2010, 7:50 pm DevliN Post #6

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I didn't say it wasn't a problem. It's just not something I can fix. This is all on Devourer.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Aug 30 2010, 8:20 pm Undead-Fox Post #7

Personally, I'd rather have no prices for basic forum functions.
Perhaps anything that makes stuff LOOK cool, but taking away titles and signatures... like I've said elsewhere, this is the only forum in this style I've been on that
takes that stuff away and charges ridiculously large amounts of fake money to get them.

Even if I had the minerals to do so, I wouldn't buy them.

[ADD]
And to those who think that things like signatures are just to throw in a cool picture for people to look at..? Look at the post right above me...
Is there a picture there? Nope. Is it useful, simple, unobtrusive advertising for his projects? Why yes, yes it is.

None.

Aug 30 2010, 8:26 pm Vrael Post #8

Or we could stop whining about the SEN store and just start buying stuff. O WAIT MY BAD I FORGOT THE SEN STORE IS SUPER SERIOUS AND MUST BE PERFECTLY FAIR IN ALL ASPECTS AND WE MUST COMPLAIN UNTIL IT IS SO.

Secondly, Aristocrat you can shut your trap. I noticed in that super huge post that you attacked NudeRaider's credibility, which means you are automatically wrong. No one may attack NudeRaider's credibility and live!!!

None.

Aug 30 2010, 8:31 pm Centreri Post #9

Relatively ancient and inactive

You used to be cool, man. What happened to you?

Also, Aristo's right.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 30 2010, 8:56 pm by Centreri.

None.

Aug 30 2010, 9:20 pm FoxWolf1 Post #10

I like the idea of dynamic prices, so long as it's executed well, because it creates hope-- that is, if there's something you really want but are unlikely to ever get enough minerals for, you can keep checking the store and maybe you'll get lucky on a price.

Of course, if it isn't working properly, and is raising the prices and not lowering them, that's bad-- but it's also a different issue from fixed vs. dynamic pricing in general.

None.

Aug 30 2010, 9:47 pm Azrael Post #11

I don't want the dynamic system anymore because it's clearly broken with no sign of being fixed. I say just scrap it and make the static price the current average cost, at least until the system can be fixed so everything isn't 200% of its "average" price all the time.

Aug 30 2010, 9:52 pm CecilSunkure Post #12

You quoted me twice.

None.

Aug 30 2010, 9:56 pm Aristocrat Post #13

Quote from CecilSunkure
You quoted me twice.

I blame "multiquote" breaking. Fixed now.

None.

Aug 30 2010, 11:28 pm poison_us Post #14

Back* from the grave

A simple function based on number of items in stock would be better than either static or random dynamic. Some basic economics would be cool. Basically, what we have is a scatter plot with random values, and what I'd like to propose is more like a quadratic function.

For whichever item that's above and has the min and max at 50 and 150, respectively, I mean something like this (x's are item stock, y's are item cost at each price):

f(x)=ciel(150-(1.1floor(x)^2-floor(x)))
Sorry it looks so crappy, but I did it in roughly 5 minutes, and I don't really care much for how it looks. It's the concept that matters. Also, you're gonna want to open in a new tab...

EDIT: For those who are interested, the values look all step-like because you can't have fractional parts of an item. The prices are this:
1: 150
2: 148
3: 144
4: 137
5: 128
6: 117
7: 104
8: 88
9: 70
10: 50
And yeah, at about 4 I realized that a sine curve would have sufficed, and actually might have been better, but meh. That's another option.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 30 2010, 11:33 pm by Nasus.

Aug 30 2010, 11:47 pm Lingie Post #15

I was brought here and I support the static prices. Either that, or force a limit of certain items to certain people.

Lingie#3148 on Discord. Lingie, the Fox-Tailed on Steam.

Aug 30 2010, 11:48 pm Aristocrat Post #16

That would be a cool idea, Nasus, if we didn't have to purchase rudimentary forum functions like signatures.

None.

Aug 30 2010, 11:55 pm poison_us Post #17

Back* from the grave

In my opinion, static prices are stupid, but the random prices are even dumber. The idea of an item limit is great, though. If items are increased by 1 at least once a week, then the function above would be viable. Think about it: if the "average" is 100, then there would have to be at least 8 items to buy below the average. If more expensive/less used items are increased less often than the cheap ones, then that would make the function that more viable.

Long story short, this random crap is stupid. I support static pricing, but above static (although few will agree with me), stock-based pricing. I have never checked the store and seen any item with average or less-than-average cost. At least static prices would be reliable, and above that function-based stock pricing (in addition to a limit of items per member) would benefit far more members than the current random pricing pile of crap.

EDIT: Aristo, even always high static prices are better than the damn near always high random prices. Function-based would at least alleviate the always/nearly always high prices, and would be somewhat reliable.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 31 2010, 12:00 am by Nasus.

Aug 31 2010, 12:30 am Neki Post #18

I also support static prices, even though my want for minerals has greatly diminished due to the long awaited wait just for it to be restored basically to how it was before they were taken away. SEN shouldn't need to strip features to make the store more useful, the more logical choice would be to add cooler features.. Instead of SEN doing "oh hey, we have a store now, look at this new cool stuff you can buy", it is now "oh hey, since we can't think of anything, so we took all that free stuff you had before and now we're making you buy it, yay! minerals are so funz." It's like SEN downgraded the forums with the induction of minerals.

None.

Aug 31 2010, 1:00 am MadZombie Post #19

Weren't sigs given out before after a certain amount of posts or days on SEN instead of having to pay for them? Maybe that was another board....

Anyways let them have their sigs. Personally I don't see signatures as a necessity and the only reason I'm not okay with them being a store item is that we can't get minerals from any forum. Beh.

None.

Aug 31 2010, 1:21 am NudeRaider Post #20

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

You are all arguing in circles. The main problem is that Devourer is not fixing anything at the moment. You can put up thousands of polls with awesome ideas or complaints, easy to implement or not - it will not get done for now.

Also fixing the store values to be in reasonable boundaries would be just as easy as making prices static so there's no argument either.
Same for "disable fun" for all of you who want instant sigs rather than earn it: It *should* have been implemented right when the minerals came back, but it wasn't and bitching about the "downgrade" won't help either because nothing is done atm. Neither adding "disable fun" nor removing the mineral system so you can stop right here, right now with your futile complaints.

In addition we've decided to give everyone some starting capital of roughly 200-300 minerals so the first item isn't really far away anymore. I'm sure this would have helped immensely in calming those who have been stripped of a valuable feature. Unfortunately, like everything else, this has been postponed until someone codes it.

Thanks for your support, Vrael, my beloved zealot of rage. :D
But I think most people realized that I've just shed light on the reasoning that's behind the current mineral system. And since the whole staff decided on it there's no credibility to be lost for myself. It's a matter of opinion anyway.

Options
Pages: 1 2 36 >
  Back to forum