Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Theory and Ideas > Topic: Harm Detection VHP
Harm Detection VHP
Nov 19 2009, 8:44 pm
By: Kaias  

Oct 20 2011, 8:28 pm Lanthanide Post #21

Quote from ImagoDeo
Wasn't necessary for their campaign. Therefore it didn't go in the editor. It's useless to complain about now, really... SC2 happened and Blizz has mostly left behind BW.
Apart from this being a massive gravedig, I'll point out that being able to Set death counts wasn't necessary for their campaign either, and yet they added it in the 1.08 patch or something.

So that argument doesn't hold any weight.

None.

Oct 20 2011, 11:53 pm Sacrieur Post #22

Still Napping

With EUD/EPDs, there is no need to use this system. You can detect any HP of any unit.

None.

Oct 21 2011, 12:59 am UnholyUrine Post #23

Well, I would think the bigger problem is that this limits it so the map can only have One unit being harmed for that One computer player at one time.

It's definately doable for things like bosses or arenas..

None.

Oct 21 2011, 2:43 am Lanthanide Post #24

Quote from Sacrieur
With EUD/EPDs, there is no need to use this system. You can detect any HP of any unit.
You can detect the HP of any unit whose unit ID you can reliably track. That's not the same thing as "any unit".

None.

Oct 26 2011, 5:59 am ImagoDeo Post #25

Quote from Lanthanide
Quote from Sacrieur
You can detect the HP of any unit whose unit ID you can reliably track. That's not the same thing as "any unit".
You can detect the HP of any unit whose unit ID you can reliably track on a PC. That's not the same thing as "any unit whose unit ID you can reliably track".

None.

Oct 26 2011, 1:42 pm Roy Post #26

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Quote from ImagoDeo
Quote from Lanthanide
Quote from Sacrieur
You can detect the HP of any unit whose unit ID you can reliably track on a PC. That's not the same thing as "any unit whose unit ID you can reliably track".
No, Lanthanide is correct; you can write those same EUDs/EPDs for Mac computers as well with equal functionality.

However, EUDs/EPDs are not very practical for these kinds of systems unless your map is running under a very strictly closed environment, which is why vHP and DDS systems are favored over them.

Oct 31 2011, 1:09 am Kaias Post #27

I never liked using EUDs/EPDs, the fun for me was working around the limitations. That and I wanted my maps to live passed the next patch so that I could pop the map open in 10 years and still be able to play it easily (although I wouldn't be surprised if there is never another patch to change the addresses).

Quote from UnholyUrine
Well, I would think the bigger problem is that this limits it so the map can only have One unit being harmed for that One computer player at one time.

It's definately doable for things like bosses or arenas..
Like Yoshi suggested earlier in the thread, it would be fantastic for one of those single player maps that goes through 20x12 rooms.

See Energy Health Scan for another neat concept like this one.

None.

Nov 4 2011, 7:10 am Sacrieur Post #28

Still Napping

Quote from Lanthanide
Quote from Sacrieur

I did devise a system that enables one to find the index ID of any unit you wish.

None.

Options
  Back to forum