Windows 7
Oct 3 2009, 1:42 pm
By: Zxblqcktptyjsplkn
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >

Oct 24 2009, 1:28 am Syphon Post #41

Weird. No-one seems to care about Win7. No new threads, no new posts in this thread, nothing. Microsoft's in trouble.

You realise it actually came out in February, right?

None.

Oct 24 2009, 2:08 am DevliN Post #42

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I'm sure most people didn't.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Oct 24 2009, 3:07 am Syphon Post #43

The people who'd care enough to write about it on the internet do.

None.

Oct 24 2009, 12:26 pm ShadowFlare Post #44

Of those who are using it, even if it wasn't a prerelease version they could have been using it for around 2 or 3 months. There are probably many people who have installed it in advance, using it in trial mode, waiting until they could buy (or acquire in any way) a key for it and activate their installed copy. Just like Vista, it is possible to get up to four 30 day trial periods with full functionality.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 24 2009, 12:32 pm by ShadowFlare.

None.

Oct 24 2009, 4:03 pm Zxblqcktptyjsplkn Post #45

I know it came out in February, but few consumers downloaded the trial. A lot of the more tech-savvy people did, but I don't actually know anyone in my real life who did. No-one seems to care about the February release, or this one.

None.

Oct 24 2009, 5:33 pm Falkoner Post #46

Just like Vista, it is possible to get up to four 30 day trial periods with full functionality.

And I actually set up a scheduled program on the server at my workplace that would reactivate Windows Server 2008 every like 20 days with the rearm command, then change the activation amount back to 0 :P

None.

Oct 24 2009, 6:54 pm Fire_Kame Post #47

wth is starcraft

I'm seriously concerned about compatibility with Microsoft programs and Windows7. I know that's a really dumb thing to be concerned about...but I need this program for school. The story: I got the program as a download from Microsoft for free. I set up an account with my school for it. I can't download it again. If I buy the program it is upwards of $300. Its Access.

Also,
GOD DAMMIT DOODLE77 YOUR SIGNATURE NEEDS TO DIE.

Oct 24 2009, 6:57 pm Voyager7456 Post #48

Responsible for my own happiness? I can't even be responsible for my own breakfast

Yeah I'd really like to know if there are any compatibility issues too... anyone experience any hardware problems after installing it?

How about the modders among us, do the modding tools function properly?

all i am is a contrary canary
but i'm crazy for you
i watched you cradling a tissue box
sneezing and sniffling, you were still a fox

Modding Resources: The Necromodicon [WIP] | Mod Night
My Projects: SCFC | ARAI | Excision [WIP] | SCFC2 [BETA] | Robots vs. Humans | Leviathan Wakes [BETA]

Oct 25 2009, 8:38 am MasterJohnny Post #49

Quote from Fire_Kame
I'm seriously concerned about compatibility with Microsoft programs and Windows7. I know that's a really dumb thing to be concerned about...but I need this program for school. The story: I got the program as a download from Microsoft for free. I set up an account with my school for it. I can't download it again. If I buy the program it is upwards of $300. Its Access.

Also,

Set up a virtual machine in windows 7 with w/e os you want

As for me in regards to this topic, I think the price tag is too much for these "new" features is too pricey. I am already on Vista Ultimate and it just does not seem too different.

I am a Mathematician

Oct 25 2009, 1:46 pm JamaL Post #50

I have yet to experience any problems running any program Vista could run (I haven't run any modding tools since the install, though. How lazy of me.).

None.

Oct 26 2009, 9:53 am Syphon Post #51

I know it came out in February, but few consumers downloaded the trial. A lot of the more tech-savvy people did, but I don't actually know anyone in my real life who did. No-one seems to care about the February release, or this one.

Ars just wrote a 15 page review. People care, and people are eating it up. I don't know anyone who got Leopard, though. :)

Also, in February, so many people tried to download it from Microsoft, they brought down their servers.

Think about that for a second. Microsoft's servers got brought down.

Quote from Fire_Kame

Also,

Why can't you download it again?

None.

Oct 26 2009, 2:16 pm BeDazed Post #52

Also,
Uhh... You could try breaking the law and pirate. <.< And not spend $300.

None.

Oct 26 2009, 7:05 pm ShadowFlare Post #53

If you still have the original installer and key somewhere, you should probably be able to reinstall it and use it afterward.

None.

Oct 27 2009, 4:33 am DevliN Post #54

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Yay, apparently Windows 7 doesn't play well with StarCraft and Blizzard's only response is "StarCraft is not Windows 7 compatible." So far it seems like my StarCraft will forever be 1.15.2 as it cannot figure out how to install the patch.

My Overwatch addiction.

Oct 27 2009, 4:39 am poiuy_qwert Post #55

PyMS and ProTRG developer

Try BWAI Downgrader, or get SCD3 and ask someone for their 1.16.1 "downgrade" file.

Oct 27 2009, 4:43 am DevliN Post #56

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Hmm does BWAI Downgrader still have the issue where it doesn't recognize the registry entry for the downloaded StarCraft installation? Or was that SCD3 that did that?

EDIT:
Nevermind, BWAI worked great. Now I have to figure out how to fix this color mess. I read that leaving the screen resolution changer open fixes it, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

My Overwatch addiction.

Oct 27 2009, 4:57 am Kaias Post #57

Quote from DevliN
Hmm does BWAI Downgrader still have the issue where it doesn't recognize the registry entry for the downloaded StarCraft installation? Or was that SCD3 that did that?

EDIT:
Nevermind, BWAI worked great. Now I have to figure out how to fix this color mess. I read that leaving the screen resolution changer open fixes it, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
I was able to run Broodwar just fine but I also have the color distortion problem. Using Window Mode (Chaos Launcher) resolved this nicely, as well as being convenient for Mapping.

None.

Oct 27 2009, 5:07 am DevliN Post #58

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Yeah, it was running fine for me, it just couldn't connect to Battle.net, and every time I downloaded the patch (including getting the .exe from the site itself), it wasn't able to patch itself.

But all is well, and BWAI saves the day.

My Overwatch addiction.

Oct 27 2009, 1:13 pm ShadowFlare Post #59

Did you install Starcraft to Program Files and then not run it with "Run as administrator" ? If you installed it there, you either need to run Starcraft with the "Run as administrator" right-click command or you would need to change the permissions on your Starcraft folder.

When you know an older program is going to want to write to things in its own folder, it is easiest to install it elsewhere in a place where you won't need to do "Run as administrator" or mess with permissions, like C:\Users\Public or your own user's folder. I keep a "Programs" folder in each of those locations for such uses, using the one in Public if the program needing write access is one I want all users to be able to access or the one in my own folder if the program is just for me. Of course, for a single user system it doesn't matter which is used.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 27 2009, 1:20 pm by ShadowFlare.

None.

Oct 27 2009, 4:25 pm DevliN Post #60

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Ah, okay. I actually thought I set the permissions up so (based on something a friend told me as I complained about the Blizzard Downloader not working without "Run as administrator") that I wouldn't have to deal with that, but I'll give that a shot when I get home later tonight.

I'm still very used to XP, so definitely thank you for the info. :)

My Overwatch addiction.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum