Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: Programming Language
Programming Language
Jan 11 2009, 5:49 am
By: Vi3t-X  

Jan 12 2009, 4:14 am Vi3t-X Post #21

Quote from Kellimus
Quote from Vi3t-X
Yes, but I'm trying to learn something practical, and at the same time, beat my friend who is learning C# by learning something more complex.

Just because its more 'complex' doesn't mean its better...

FORTRAIN? Do you mean FORTRAN??

Anyways, I'm not sure I understand what you mean with: "Lol. But anyways, what in C++ can you relate to in anything else?"

If you want to get technical, C++ is just C with OOP (Object Oriented Programming) capabilities such as Encapsulation, Inheritance, Polymorphism, etc... The C language is things like Functions, Arrays, Structures, Pointers, etc...

I'd go with C++ honestly, its one of the most used languages out there.
Typo. Plus, I was watching Thomas the Tank Engine at that time. :omfg: :|

None.

Jan 12 2009, 5:28 am DT_Battlekruser Post #22

Mike Lat? :P

I've actually never bothered yet to look at Latova's source.

If your just learning a language to impress/outdo your friend try something like Brainfuck.

When I have free time, I think I could have a lot of fun with that :P

None.

Jan 12 2009, 1:31 pm Forsaken Archer Post #23

Learning to program/script is hardly about what specific code you use, but rather, developing the mindset to think things out rationally and put little pieces of a puzzle together in your head to tackle a larger problem, and then on towards organize/optimize it in functions, classes, structures, etc. While some languages have advantages over others, mostly depending on what it's used for, the syntax isn't really the issue, outside of getting used to writing code as code (indents, strings, operators, line ends, etc).
I would say go with C++, as it's the most mimicked language and will put you in better habits, as php doesn't require initializing variables and let you be sloppy in a lot of ways.

None.

Jan 12 2009, 3:36 pm DT_Battlekruser Post #24

I would say go with C++, as it's the most mimicked language and will put you in better habits, as php doesn't require initializing variables and let you be sloppy in a lot of ways.

If you prefer Java, it has most of these aspects, and is a little more transportable between operating systems (C++ is more strongly OS-based since it has to be natively compiled). I don't know why cheeze hates Java so much, it's my primary language right now. But IP's right, learning to program is not about the syntax, it's about turning your ideas into the language of code.

None.

Jan 13 2009, 1:21 am Falkoner Post #25

Lol. But anyways, what in C++ can you relate to in anything else?

Hmm, it covers functions, object oriented programming(classes), pointers, dynamic memory, loops, I mean, almost every other language is just an upgrade of it making it higher level, it can be both very simple, and very complex, so it's the perfect starter language.

None.

Jan 13 2009, 11:59 pm Kellimus Post #26

Quote from DT_Battlekruser

If you prefer Java, it has most of these aspects, and is a little more transportable between operating systems (C++ is more strongly OS-based since it has to be natively compiled). I don't know why cheeze hates Java so much, it's my primary language right now. But IP's right, learning to program is not about the syntax, it's about turning your ideas into the language of code.

Maybe its because Java is slow? *shrugs*

Quote from Falkoner
Lol. But anyways, what in C++ can you relate to in anything else?

Hmm, it covers functions, object oriented programming(classes), pointers, dynamic memory, loops, I mean, almost every other language is just an upgrade of it making it higher level, it can be both very simple, and very complex, so it's the perfect starter language.

Uh, Qbasic/Basic/Visual Basic is a better choice to start off Progamming than C++ is.........If you're not looking to program very complex things.

None.

Jan 14 2009, 12:31 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #27

👻 👾 👽 💪

I'd go for C or C++. VB is just horrible.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Jan 14 2009, 1:05 am Clokr_ Post #28

If you want to make programs I'd suggest C# then move to C++ if you feel like doing so.
If you want to make webpages, PHP is the way to go.

?????

Jan 14 2009, 2:24 am DT_Battlekruser Post #29

Maybe its because Java is slow? *shrugs*

We could have this debate for eons, but Java 6 is not considerably (probably less than 5%) slower outside of Swing. But yes, ultimately C++ will always be a hair faster due to Java's VM.

None.

Options
  Back to forum