Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Projects > Topic: Biophysics
Biophysics
Dec 9 2008, 11:30 am
By: Biophysicist
Pages: < 1 « 5 6 7 8 >

Jan 19 2009, 3:31 am Biophysicist Post #121

I feel that in this case, simpler isn't better. And why do you and KK think you can tell me what to do in my mod, anyway? I know you are trying to help and I'm not mad or annoyed or anything, but doing it this way would make it a lot more like how I had originally intended it and IMO better. Forgive me if this sounds rude, but I'm going to use my new idea and go with the EUDs.

Now, DatEdit, MPQDraft, WinMPQ, and so on are compatible with any patch, right? (I don't need FireGraft [or MemGraft or StarGraft] because I'm using the EUD actions.) And what's the latest patch that had EUD actions enabled?

None.

Jan 19 2009, 3:38 am poiuy_qwert Post #122

PyMS and ProTRG developer

No offense to you, but I doubt you will be able to pull it off. Even making it in a plugin is a lot harder then you seem to think, and doing it with EUD's would be 1000 times harder.

Jan 19 2009, 3:44 am Biophysicist Post #123

Me is confused. Didn't people used to use EUDs for this sort of thing all the time? And I'm sure if I bugged FaRTy enough he'd give me any advice I need. I understand how EUD conditions work, actions can't be that different... As far as I can tell, it would just be a bunch of trigger duplication and modification, which is time-consuming but easy.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, of course.

None.

Jan 19 2009, 3:47 am poiuy_qwert Post #124

Changing the buttons displayed or anything like that will be really hard if not impossible.

Jan 19 2009, 3:50 am Biophysicist Post #125

But... I saw a screenshot of someone who did it... Wouldn't DoA have the memory addresses where they are stored?

EDIT: Woah, 'nother idea. Why don't I put all the spells in a submenu and set each spellto hvr a specific unit as its requirement? Then I can use a EUD condition to read which unit is selected and give/remove units to enable the correct spells? This is probably the best method.

None.

Jan 19 2009, 3:53 am poiuy_qwert Post #126

You probably saw a screenshot of someone that changed unit graphics and unit attacks, which is WAY simpler then what you want.

Jan 19 2009, 4:00 am poiuy_qwert Post #127

Thats a much better idea, easily possible, you just gotta learn how to do EUD's and where the offsets are.

Jan 19 2009, 4:10 am Biophysicist Post #128

I'm really excited now. This mod just got over 9000 percent epicer.

BUT, problem: Now the only way to see what spells a unit has equipped is to open the casting submenu, which could get annoying. Anyone have any ideas? Actually, there would only be enough space to put eight spells in one submenu, so if I wanted the 10+ spells I originally wanted, I'd need to use two submenus somehow... Would that be too annoying?

None.

Jan 19 2009, 5:10 am Corbo Post #129

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

When EUDs got discovered people only got to use them for like 2 weeks or maybe even less before Blizzard patched the EUD actions. So I guess saying "Didn't people used to use EUDs for this sort of thing all the time?" is wrong. Mappers had so little time to play with EUD actions even if there was an EUD action enabler for the blizzard patch then blizzard patched again scrambling all the memory offset and suddenly the EUD enabler was heavily discouraged.

fuck you all

Jan 19 2009, 8:02 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #130

👻 👾 👽 💪

EUDs are apparently more popular in Asian countries where they don't play on the latest patches. For a mod I'd suggest plugin over EUDs as you have more dynamic control over the flow of data.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Jan 19 2009, 1:55 pm Symmetry Post #131

Dungeon Master

Quote from name:TassadarZeratul
And why do you and KK think you can tell me what to do in my mod, anyway? I know you are trying to help and I'm not mad or annoyed or anything, but doing it this way would make it a lot more like how I had originally intended it and IMO better. Forgive me if this sounds rude, but I'm going to use my new idea and go with the EUDs.

You asked 'why don't I use EUDs' and we gave you our honest opinion. But if you think you can pull it off, go right ahead.

:voy: :jaff: :voy: :jaff:

Jan 19 2009, 2:41 pm Biophysicist Post #132

@KK: Sorry, I shouldn't post while sleep-deprived and annoyed at my brother.

@FaRTy: Do you mean for conditions or actions? Because had an idea that means I don't need to use EUD actions, but you might have missed it because I posted it as an edit. If you meant for conditions (or both), me is to dumb to understand plugins. If someone could instructeth me in the holy mystery of plugins, then the meaning of your post would be revealed.

None.

Feb 10 2009, 4:02 am RoryFenrir Post #133

I was contracted by TZ to make the units for this mod, we decided to have sea creature based flying units.

Here is my model for the Pheonix, one of the 3 minion units. It is based off of a stingray as you can probably tell.
This is the movement, 4 frames. All these units will be like zerg units, with 9 frame rotations instead of 17.

here is a close up of the model.

"The Rampant is sharky, the Phoenix is stingrayish, the Bastion is the eel-like one, and the Overcruiser looks like a jellyfish on steroids."

None.

Feb 10 2009, 4:24 am Biophysicist Post #134

Well, now that this thread has been necro'd, there is a new feature I would like to mention: You can now upgrade your ships' armor, speed, and attack range (individually for each ship, of course), and "re-configure" their weapons. For example, you can give a Phoenix a Lurker-style attack (doesn't need to be Burrowed) or a Glaive Wurm attack.

Also, the Cellular Assault (Glaive Wurm) spell has been removed. I am going to replace it with something, as well as add another spell.

EDIT: One of the added spells will be Spawn Broodlings, the other will be a teleportation spell (assuming I can pull it off).

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 10 2009, 1:29 pm by TassadarZeratul.

None.

Mar 6 2009, 1:10 pm Magicide Post #135

Sleeping wolves wake hungry.

BUMP.

Just wanted to tell you to FINISH ALREADY

And that a Blink-like ability would be fucking awesome >_>

Keep it up.

Mar 6 2009, 11:24 pm RoryFenrir Post #136

hope to see this soon, and ill get that unit fixed on monday :)

None.

Apr 29 2009, 7:54 pm Biophysicist Post #137

Epic necrobump is epic.

I had an idea which might make this mod a lot cooler. Namely, giving people the ability to upgrade their unit's damage, speed, and armor. (Each unit would be individualy upgraded :hurr: ) (I wanted to do this before but couldn't figure out how to until now.) You'd be able to upgrade all of those stats up to three times. Each upgrade would spawn a small but distinct underlay (like a colored ring or something) so you can easily tell which units have which upgrades. (Also, double-clicking on a unit will select all nearby units of the same type, regardless of their upgrade levels, unlike with a morph system or something.) What I'm not sure of is how much of an effect each upgrade should have. Should it be like "lol rampant + full upgrades = kills twenty bastions" (exaggeration :hurr: ) or should it be a subtle effect? (Also, I could probably do vision upgrades as well, should I? I think it would just add needless complexity.)

I was also debating adding in a few more units. The problem is I don't see how to make them different from the existing units without giving them instrint spells or something, which I don't want to do. There aren't any more roles that need filling, really, because a properly configured unit can more or less carry out any role...

Your thoughts?

(And yes I know this has taken WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to long, you don't need to say it. There are reasons why it is, both technical and personal.)

None.

Apr 29 2009, 8:57 pm poiuy_qwert Post #138

How do you plan to upgrade damage/speed/armor? If you are planning to edit the dat files in memory, that will effect all of that unit type for every player. The only other way I can thinkto do it would be hard for you to do imo.

Apr 29 2009, 9:08 pm Biophysicist Post #139

Exactly how I'm going to do it is pretty complicated, but I can give you the general idea easily: The damage upgrade involves spawning an attacking overlay (like the Archon's attacking overlay). The speed upgrade involves spawning an overlay that uses setflspeed in the init animation. The armor upgrade involves using a plugin to constantly set the unit's shield value based on the value of one of the unused offsets. (Shields are being used as "fake armor", like in some UMS maps. Like if you upgrade a unit's Armor once, the unit will be constantly set to having one shield point.)

What's the way you thought of that would be too hard for me to do?

None.

Apr 30 2009, 1:59 am RoryFenrir Post #140

that sounds awsome if you can do it, i am really looking forward to seeing this mod, and im glad you are finishing it seeing as how i have invested interest :)

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 5 6 7 8 >
  Back to forum