Staredit Network > Forums > Serious Discussion > Topic: Ways to remove Carbon Dioxide?
Ways to remove Carbon Dioxide?
May 12 2008, 9:45 am
By: KrayZee
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5

May 24 2008, 2:28 am Brontobyte Post #81

I herd about this video on the news the other day and decided to give it a gander. This video is absolutely amazing in ever concept. Its a must watch for any of you out there that are desperately looking for a renewable source of energy. In the video a guy creates a engine that works on water. No big deal there right? WRONG! He later explains how he has traveled 100 miles on 4 oz of water. Yeah thats not a typo, 1/4th of a pound of water, which is 1/16th of a 8 pound gallon of water. Simply amazing! He also has created a torch that can heat up most metals in seconds but then is cool to the touch. He does it by using a process called electrolysis. In this process, a current, usually electricity, is traveled through water, H2O which then breaks it into HHO or HOH. It pretty much breaks the O(xygen) away from the two H(ydrogen) atoms. The H(ydrogen) can then be used in combustion to create energy.

Calculations:
8 pounds = 1 gallon
1 gallon = 128 oz
4 oz = 100* miles
128 oz/1 gallon/8 pounds of H2O is equal to 12,800* miles of travel by car.

Video:

Water Power

*Not exactly this amount.

None.

May 24 2008, 2:45 am A_of-s_t Post #82

aka idmontie

There's a problem with the water concept. Water will be diverted from the drinking supply to power cars, engines, machines, ect. I live in Arizona, and they have rationed how much water we can use -- which was pretty bad. I would hate to have to ration water every year because some one made everything run on water.

There's anyother problem, where do we get the energy for electrolysis? (If that is explained in the video, sorry, I can't watch it)

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

May 24 2008, 2:53 am Brontobyte Post #83

Quote from A_of-s_t
There's a problem with the water concept. Water will be diverted from the drinking supply to power cars, engines, machines, ect. I live in Arizona, and they have rationed how much water we can use -- which was pretty bad. I would hate to have to ration water every year because some one made everything run on water.

There's anyother problem, where do we get the energy for electrolysis? (If that is explained in the video, sorry, I can't watch it)

There is enough water in the oceans for the whole world to use. The only byproduct would be again, water. If you could power the electrolysis process by falling water then we have it made. There are obviously some problems, Hydrogen being highly explosive for starters, and again your problem, living in parts of the world where water is rationed. If it could be used in as many parts in the US as possible it would drastically cut down on the amount of fuel we consume as a country.

None.

May 24 2008, 3:08 am A_of-s_t Post #84

aka idmontie

A way to remove carbon dioxide from the air would be to use the chemical reaction that plants use. I really don't see why we can't duplicate this reaction:

nCO2 + nH2O → (CH2O)n + nO2

This produces formaldehyde and oxygen. Formaldehyde (CH2O) can then be used to embalm our dead. Or, through a chemical reaction:

3 CH2O + 3 H2S → (CH2S)3 + 3 H2O

We can produce trithiane and water. I don't really know any use for trithiane though...

Personal GitHub
TwitchTV

May 24 2008, 3:24 am Brontobyte Post #85

We have so many land fills and garbage dumps, I don't see why we don't use Methane CH4 to some extent.

Hydrogen

|

Hydrogen - Carbon - Hydrogen

|

Hydrogen

None.

May 24 2008, 3:26 am A_of-s_t Post #86

aka idmontie

Quote from Brontobyte
We have so many land fills and garbage dumps, I don't see why we don't use Methane CH4 to some extent.
Some companies are already doing that. I'll see if I can't find a link.

EDIT: I think I found a good one. Linky.

Personal GitHub
TwitchTV

May 24 2008, 3:36 am Brontobyte Post #87

I personally think that we should be drilling into Alaska for its wide abundance of crude oil. Some people think other wise. I would bet that this would decrease the cost of gas. I had this idea the other day in Economics class. WalMart is a huge discount store started by Sam Walton. The store has so much buying power that they can buy an huge amount of bulk product for cheaper then another store could who was buying half or even less then what WalMart was. With all of the profit that the Waltons are making, they should open up 20 lane gas stations around the United States and sell gas for a ridiculous price so that people would be drawn to there service without question. Sure, they would loose a lot of there profits, most likely in the millions to billions range, but think of what that would do to the economy. How much more money people would have in there pockets now that instead of buying gas for 1 week at $200 they could be buying it for say $100. Multiply this decrease by the amount of people that would turn there heads in the direction of "Cheap Gas" Instead of ~$ a gallon and you have a large number of people that would be saving/spending money. This would increase the economy by stimulating moral number one, boosting the spending power of the family, people would be buying cars, buying goods, traveling, ect...

Good Idea? Bad Idea? O_O'

None.

May 24 2008, 3:38 am Doodle77 Post #88

Quote from Brontobyte
Calculations:
8 pounds = 1 gallon
1 gallon = 128 oz
4 oz = 100* miles
In order to split apart the H and O in water you need a considerable amount of electricity (it is called electrolysis after all). This electricity must be produced by some other means. In other words, you can't actually get any energy out of water, but you can use it as a means of storing energy that was previously produced at a power plant.

None.

May 24 2008, 3:45 am Brontobyte Post #89

Quote from Doodle77
Quote from Brontobyte
Calculations:
8 pounds = 1 gallon
1 gallon = 128 oz
4 oz = 100* miles
In order to split apart the H and O in water you need a considerable amount of electricity (it is called electrolysis after all). This electricity must be produced by some other means. In other words, you can't actually get any energy out of water, but you can use it as a means of storing energy that was previously produced at a power plant.
It still is an idea that could motivate some backyard engineer who knows some chemistry to come up with some crazy idea that will be patented and created into the next car of the future.

None.

May 24 2008, 4:09 am Doodle77 Post #90

Quote from Brontobyte
Quote from Doodle77
Quote from Brontobyte
Calculations:
8 pounds = 1 gallon
1 gallon = 128 oz
4 oz = 100* miles
It still is an idea that could motivate some backyard engineer who knows some chemistry to come up with some crazy idea that will be patented and created into the next car of the future.
The idea has been around for a while, havent you heard of fuel cells? Thats what hydrogen powered cars are.

None.

May 24 2008, 4:23 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #91

👻 👾 👽 💪

And the electrolysis devices I've seen as fueling stations use solar energy.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

May 26 2008, 9:31 pm Moose Post #92

We live in a society.

CO2 can be compressed into a liquid and buried underground. Intersting alternative, though between the landfills and radioactive waste and whatever else we put down there, I don't think that this is the best long-term solution.

May 26 2008, 11:51 pm Brontobyte Post #93

Quote from Mini Moose 2707
CO2 can be compressed into a liquid and buried underground. Intersting alternative, though between the landfills and radioactive waste and whatever else we put down there, I don't think that this is the best long-term solution.
We could always launch it into space and blow it up. This would probably cost a lot, but it would work.

None.

Jun 4 2008, 5:13 pm Tank_7 Post #94

List as many ways in what ways that may remove CO2 completely in the 21st Century.

Dude... plants & trees use CO2 and give out oxygen. We NEED a healthy amount of CO2. Don't you ever try to remove it completely.

The general balance of CO2 is: Plants use CO2, make Oxygen. Animals/Mammals (including humans) use Oxygen, make CO2. So the arguement is that vehicles are adding enough CO2 to cause a problem and the plants aren't keeping up (Although there is a corresponding increase in plant growth I think) There are other factors than just vehicles though. As the world population grows, so does agriculture, assuming "x" percent of people are farmers. Livestock/Cattle make methane which is a greenhous gas.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5
  Back to forum