Staredit Network > Forums > Serious Discussion > Topic: Ways to remove Carbon Dioxide?
Ways to remove Carbon Dioxide?
May 12 2008, 9:45 am
By: KrayZee
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 >

May 15 2008, 4:58 am Jello-Jigglers Post #41

Quote from FatalException
How would the money be spent?
Ask the UN IPCC. I'm fairly certain they have as many brilliant minds working at this as they can afford, soas to pick the most plausible(cheapest) "solution". The fact of the matter is, if the top 25 wealthiest people on the earth put every dime they have together to take that route, it would only account for approx. 754 billion dollars. Where are we gonna come up with the minimum 1.6 and some odd TRILLION dollars. Lol how are you gonna convince the top 25 wealthiest to just hand over their money for that matter.

This doesn't answer my question. The iron wouldn't be 'junk'. Your body needs iron, too. It's not like we'd just be throwing iron bars and old scrap metal into the water...
Enough iron in your body can kill you... I saw it on X-men once :bleh: . On a serious note, our bodies run in a balance; Iron deficiency causes many of diseases such as anemia which, if goes untreated can kill you: hemochromatosis is one case of over-absorption of iron, and can kill you as well.

The earth, as the body, runs in a balance. Dumping masses of iron into oceans could be catastrophic.

None.

May 15 2008, 8:15 am Rantent Post #42

Doing anything would eventually catastrophic. So it doesn't matter what we do, so long as we don't do anything.
Honestly though, all we really have to do is wait for nature to evolve something that will survive on massive ammounts of CO2 and feed on animals. (Same situation happened when plants were polluting oxygen millions of years ago.)

None.

May 15 2008, 8:55 am BeDazed Post #43

We should just turn ourselves into machines with nano technology so that we won't have to use oxygen, nor breathing.

None.

May 15 2008, 10:02 am candle12345 Post #44

Why does it need to cost money?
People are retarded. Survival of the species?
No, not for you, cheapo. Come back later when you have cash LOLFAIL.

None.

May 15 2008, 12:59 pm Jello-Jigglers Post #45

Quote from Rantent
Doing anything would eventually catastrophic. So it doesn't matter what we do, so long as we don't do anything.
Honestly though, all we really have to do is wait for nature to evolve something that will survive on massive ammounts of CO2 and feed on animals. (Same situation happened when plants were polluting oxygen millions of years ago.)
I agree. That's a good call. That's a dang good call. :)

None.

May 15 2008, 1:37 pm KrayZee Post #46

Quote from candle12345
Why does it need to cost money?
People are retarded. Survival of the species?
No, not for you, cheapo. Come back later when you have cash LOLFAIL.
You tell me why is needs cash. Just exactly why do cities repair themselves costing millions to billions of dollars after an Earthquake, Hurricane, Tsunami, or any other natural disasters?

None.

May 15 2008, 1:42 pm candle12345 Post #47

Rhetorical question.

None.

May 15 2008, 6:15 pm Twitch Post #48

Quote from Jello-Jigglers
Ask the UN IPCC. I'm fairly certain they have as many brilliant minds working at this as they can afford, soas to pick the most plausible(cheapest) "solution". The fact of the matter is, if the top 25 wealthiest people on the earth put every dime they have together to take that route, it would only account for approx. 754 billion dollars. Where are we gonna come up with the minimum 1.6 and some odd TRILLION dollars. Lol how are you gonna convince the top 25 wealthiest to just hand over their money for that matter.

This doesn't answer my question. The iron wouldn't be 'junk'. Your body needs iron, too. It's not like we'd just be throwing iron bars and old scrap metal into the water...
Enough iron in your body can kill you... I saw it on X-men once :bleh: . On a serious note, our bodies run in a balance; Iron deficiency causes many of diseases such as anemia which, if goes untreated can kill you: hemochromatosis is one case of over-absorption of iron, and can kill you as well.

The earth, as the body, runs in a balance. Dumping masses of iron into oceans could be catastrophic.
That may be true but without enough iron in your body you can become like myself and be anemic.

None.

May 15 2008, 9:41 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #49

👻 👾 👽 💪

They don't dump raw iron into the ocean... it's an iron compound that the plankton consume and overjoy upon.
But you could abuse water's tendency to dissolve CO2 by removing it from the oceans (as I said before... >.>) I really doubt it'd be practical, though.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

May 15 2008, 11:00 pm MasterJohnny Post #50

looks like nobody is against my ban all incandescent and cfl light bulbs
everybody get lower wattage and more efficient power supplies and switch from desktops to laptops

I am a Mathematician

May 15 2008, 11:05 pm candle12345 Post #51

Enough iron in your body can kill you... I saw it on X-men once :bleh: . On a serious note, our bodies run in a balance; Iron deficiency causes many of diseases such as anemia which, if goes untreated can kill you: hemochromatosis is one case of over-absorption of iron, and can kill you as well. The earth, as the body, runs in a balance. Dumping masses of iron into oceans could be catastrophic.

No it wouldn't.
Scientists do a shitload of research before they dump a ton of iron into the sea.
The plankton eats the iron filings really fast, and it does nothing adverse. [Unless like, a fish gets hit on the head]
Iron isn't toxic. It isn't explosive. It isn't going to do anything, and more iron in our fish diet [via food chain] can only be good for us and the animals that eat it.

None.

May 15 2008, 11:45 pm Jello-Jigglers Post #52

No it wouldn't.
Scientists do a shitload of research before they dump a ton of iron into the sea.
The plankton eats the iron filings really fast, and it does nothing adverse. [Unless like, a fish gets hit on the head]
Iron isn't toxic. It isn't explosive. It isn't going to do anything, and more iron in our fish diet [via food chain] can only be good for us and the animals that eat it.
No, not what it does to the fish, what it does to the bodies of water... Adding things into a system that weren't there before causes weird things to happen: ie. adding green house gases to the atmosphere. Imagine that! Plus, the really offender is N2, not CO2. N2 is 296 times more efficient as a green house gas than CO2. Also, methane produced from cows accounts for 18% of the green house gases in the atmosphere, and it is 29% more efficient than CO2.

None.

May 16 2008, 1:30 am FlyingHat Post #53

[Citation needed]

Nitrogen is completely harmless, it does not significantly contribute to global warming. Nitrogen dioxide is the culprit you're talking about.

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/articles/article/nitrogenthebadguyofglobalwarming1160583306/ Shitty Article.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_dioxide Wikipedia ftw bitch.

Also, methane produced from cows accounts for 18% of the green house gases in the atmosphere, and it is 29% more efficient than CO2.
Well, we can stop this be eating more cows. Fuck you vegetarians.

Post has been edited 4 time(s), last time on May 16 2008, 3:48 pm by FlyingHat. Reason: lawl typo

None.

May 16 2008, 1:35 am KrayZee Post #54

No it wouldn't.
No, not what it does to the fish, what it does to the bodies of water... Adding things into a system that weren't there before causes weird things to happen: ie. adding green house gases to the atmosphere. Imagine that! Plus, the really offender is N2, not CO2. N2 is 296 times more efficient as a green house gas than CO2. Also, methane produced from cows accounts for 18% of the green house gases in the atmosphere, and it is 29% more efficient than CO2.
Greenhouse gases are natural, they don't 'technically' come from greenhouses 99.999% of the time. If you're asking to cut all vegetation to reduce Nitrogen, you're asking for a wasteland. We breathe Nitrogen into our noses every second.

None.

May 16 2008, 2:07 am fm47 Post #55

Can iron not rust, causing terrible water pollution?

None.

May 16 2008, 2:15 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #56

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from fm47
Can iron not rust, causing terrible water pollution?
Quote from O)FaRTy1billion[MM]
They don't dump raw iron into the ocean... it's an iron compound that the plankton consume and overjoy upon.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

May 16 2008, 4:23 am Jello-Jigglers Post #57

Quote from KrayZee
Greenhouse gases are natural, they don't 'technically' come from greenhouses 99.999% of the time. If you're asking to cut all vegetation to reduce Nitrogen, you're asking for a wasteland. We breathe Nitrogen into our noses every second.
Duh. It's called a green house gas cause it insulates sunlight, like unto a green house. Thanks flying hat for the correction, it isn't N2 that's bad, it's the NO2(?). The effect of it is, that and methane are both way more effective in retaining light/heat energy.

lol and a citation isn't needed, just Google it you'll find what you're looking for :)

I want to upload this awesome paper that shows all about that:
[attach=1026]

There's lots of good info in it, but I wanna emphasis The first table and first few paragraphs.

None.

May 16 2008, 4:45 am KrayZee Post #58

You're the one saying 'Duh', yet you clearly said N2 is bad. And NO2 can't be reduced as much as CO2, you'll have to get rid of PM2.5 first.

None.

May 16 2008, 4:49 am WoAHorde Post #59

No it wouldn't.

Nitrogen isn't a greenhouse gas; water vapour and CO2 however, are. More Carbon Dioxide and other minute greenhouse gases raise the temperature, causing more water vapour to exsist in the atmosphere. After a point, you're on a positive feedback loop and you're well on your way to becoming Venus.

None.

May 16 2008, 12:45 pm Jello-Jigglers Post #60

Quote from KrayZee
You're the one saying 'Duh', yet you clearly said N2 is bad. And NO2 can't be reduced as much as CO2, you'll have to get rid of PM2.5 first.
I knew it was NO2, it just came out weird idk. Forgot the O somewhere in the mix of things. Mah bhad.
Where did PM2.5 come from? Does that have anything to do with anything?

Quote from WoAHorde
Nitrogen isn't a greenhouse gas; water vapour and CO2 however, are. More Carbon Dioxide and other minute greenhouse gases raise the temperature, causing more water vapour to exsist in the atmosphere. After a point, you're on a positive feedback loop and you're well on your way to becoming Venus.
We already decided it is actually nitrous oxide, not nitrogen...

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 >
  Back to forum