Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: Website creation
Website creation
Dec 21 2010, 8:21 am
By: payne  

Dec 23 2010, 11:39 pm payne Post #21

:payne:

Quote from name:Cardinal
So, basically a chatroom/shoutbox? Stored usernames + passwords? Timestamps and user-info? Probably wouldn't take more than 2 to 3 hours to make.
Some more features too...
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4623/mapnight.png

And this isn't the final version (which contains some other little features)... I'm just too lazy to upload the image on the interwebz0r.

None.

Dec 24 2010, 1:11 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #22

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from Centreri
Payne here is asking for something with a forum, presumably a portal, and likely other features, like a DLDB, news feed, etc. Additionally, I'm fairly certain that web programmers are paid a set amount for a complete website, not on a per hour basis.
Nowhere did he ever say anything about forums ... You're the one who came up with that. D:

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Dec 24 2010, 1:35 am Fire_Kame Post #23

wth is starcraft

When i was pricing, it would cost me about $1k for a fully customized, compatible website for what I wanted. Then again, I wanted some pretty specific things.

Dec 24 2010, 1:59 am Corbo Post #24

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

Cardinal obviously has no idea on anything about web development neither the time that it takes to actually design a website, or anything at all. AofST is OBVIOUSLY OP and centreri hasn't even read the topic like. at all.

My stance here is don't do it.
It won't be hard. It won't take a lot of time and if you dedicate like a week or so to learning PHP you could probably do it by yourself by that time. In fact seeing how it is and what you want I could very much easily do it for you but my point is that when I made that chat a long time ago I had many more features planned, but you already know that since you're basically using them :P but I ended up not doing them (or telling IP not to implement them) because they all had something in common that would make them not work.

They all required the people playing to "manually" update everything. There's no way (that I know of) to get information from battle.net 2.0 and automatically post it online without someone having to minimize, and really, when you're just in a game and in full screen the last thing you want to do is post screenshots or update a random script to see how parties are setup just so someone who isn't already in game who should be already in game sees how parties are and number of players in a real time basis.

If one wants to play they should just get the hell in sc2 and contact you or someone else to play. It really is much more of a hassle than something that'd make it awesome, plus, since they rely on people having to update them people will just forget about updating them or just never do it at all.
You'll only waste your money and even if you have loads of it you'll just end up wasting like $40 at least and realise after 3 months that it is stupid and let the site die.

Check out the awesome-ass code for Turtle's header if you need my resume. >:3
About that... I made a header that looked exactly as my original photoshop design that had the marine arm, the diagonals in the planet instead of an ugly black box, a dropdown that had the same bg color as the one in the nav bar and game icon buttons that don't have any text on them. Why can't your awesome-ass code do this?

Just sayin' you have nothing to brag about and you've been doing it all over SEN and I just feel very disgusted on how things turned out and you seem to be taking the credits so k.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 24 2010, 2:18 am by Corbo.

fuck you all

Dec 24 2010, 2:19 am payne Post #25

:payne:

Quote from Corbo
Cardinal obviously has no idea on anything about web development neither the time that it takes to actually design a website, or anything at all. AofST is OBVIOUSLY OP and centreri hasn't even read the topic like. at all.

My stance here is don't do it.
It won't be hard. It won't take a lot of time and if you dedicate like a week or so to learning PHP you could probably do it by yourself by that time. In fact seeing how it is and what you want I could very much easily do it for you but my point is that when I made that chat a long time ago I had many more features planned, but you already know that since you're basically using them :P but I ended up not doing them (or telling IP not to implement them) because they all had something in common that would make them not work.

They all required the people playing to "manually" update everything. There's no way (that I know of) to get information from battle.net 2.0 and automatically post it online without someone having to minimize, and really, when you're just in a game and in full screen the last thing you want to do is post screenshots or update a random script to see how parties are setup just so someone who isn't already in game who should be already in game sees how parties are and number of players in a real time basis.

If one wants to play they should just get the hell in sc2 and contact you or someone else to play. It really is much more of a hassle than something that'd make it awesome, plus, since they rely on people having to update them people will just forget about updating them or just never do it at all.
You'll only waste your money and even if you have loads of it you'll just end up wasting like $40 at least and realise after 3 months that it is stupid and let the site die.

Check out the awesome-ass code for Turtle's header if you need my resume. >:3
About that... I made a header that looked exactly as my original photoshop design that had the marine arm, the diagonals in the planet instead of an ugly black box, a dropdown that had the same bg color as the one in the nav bar and game icon buttons that don't have any text on them. Why can't your awesome-ass code do this?

Just sayin' you have nothing to brag about and you've been doing it all over SEN and I just feel very disgusted on how things turned out and you seem to be taking the credits so k.
I like your style.

None.

Dec 24 2010, 7:48 am A_of-s_t Post #26

aka idmontie

Quote from Centreri
No you don't. You're not that good. :P

$10, I'd believe.
$50/hr is a standard rate actually, but I was being sarcastic. Asking someone to make a website for you is like asking someone to make a shed for you -- even if you have the prebuilt framework. It's something best done yourself if it is simple enough, otherwise you WILL need to end up paying someone to do it.

At my job, I actually get paid $12/hr, but most of my tasks involve maintenance on the school's website, not actually creating a website from scratch.

As per the task at hand. Make your own simple website and just focus on one feature at a time. And if you have trouble, just ask. No one will bite your head off (unless it's a common question).

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Options
  Back to forum