Staredit Network > Forums > Serious Discussion > Topic: Homosexuality: Nature vs. Nurture
Homosexuality: Nature vs. Nurture
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Aug 31 2007, 7:41 pm
By: Armony
Pages: < 1 « 14 15 16 17 1819 >

Polls
Nature or Nurture?
Nature or Nurture?
Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
Nature 28

34%
None.
Nurture 23

28%
None.
Both 27

33%
None.
Can't decide 6

8%
None.
Please login to vote.
Poll has 84 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Jul 8 2008, 7:22 pm A_of-s_t Post #301

aka idmontie

Quote from Lt.Church
Edit: by buying a book on how to argue i assume you mean debating?
Debating and arguing are the same thing. They both use rhetoric -- which was invented by the greeks. This is what all arguements boil down to: how well you can use rhetoric to your advantage. Rhetoric includes pretty much everything about debating/arguing -- the fallacies, the tactics, the ethos, pathos, and so on.

So yes, I bought a book on debating, since that means arguing as well. But please, back on topic.

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Jul 14 2008, 9:36 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #302

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from BAGLES
Quote from Excalibur
Quote from Falkoner
As I said, it may not be a direct correlation, but Rome, and Greece both began to accept homosexuality in their cultures and were soon wiped out.
How did their acceptance of homosexuality have anything to do with the downfall of their empires? And that's purely rhetorical. If you knew as I know that it had nothing to do with it, than you shouldn't have mentioned it, and you failed to correctly respond to the question you answered it with.

Well, to be honest, there was no way Rome could have ruled over such a large empire for such a large amount of time. Really, I think the historical evidence pointed towards inbreeding, and I think malfunctions in their sewage systems, plus all the barbarians (The Vandals, to name one). Besides, both cultures had accepted homosexuality for quite some time, if you want to use that argument, then the counter argument is that England never accepted homosexuality, and it died out (Also see, the 3rd Reich, the Mongol Horde, Imperial Japan, and anything else I forgot to mention)
Not to mention thier love of thier fancy lead plumbing, lead preservatives, lead acetate, and various other lead uses that involved consuming it or things in contact with it!

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Jul 14 2008, 5:58 pm A_of-s_t Post #303

aka idmontie

Quote from O)FaRTy1billion[MM]
Quote from BAGLES
Quote from Excalibur
Quote from Falkoner
As I said, it may not be a direct correlation, but Rome, and Greece both began to accept homosexuality in their cultures and were soon wiped out.
How did their acceptance of homosexuality have anything to do with the downfall of their empires? And that's purely rhetorical. If you knew as I know that it had nothing to do with it, than you shouldn't have mentioned it, and you failed to correctly respond to the question you answered it with.

Well, to be honest, there was no way Rome could have ruled over such a large empire for such a large amount of time. Really, I think the historical evidence pointed towards inbreeding, and I think malfunctions in their sewage systems, plus all the barbarians (The Vandals, to name one). Besides, both cultures had accepted homosexuality for quite some time, if you want to use that argument, then the counter argument is that England never accepted homosexuality, and it died out (Also see, the 3rd Reich, the Mongol Horde, Imperial Japan, and anything else I forgot to mention)
Not to mention thier love of thier fancy lead plumbing, lead preservatives, lead acetate, and various other lead uses that involved consuming it or things in contact with it!
AND homosexuals are usually depicted working at steel mills -- CONNECTION?

Personal GitHub
TwitchTV

Jul 14 2008, 7:29 pm Sael Post #304

As George Carlin put it, "A lot of gay men stay in the closet because they're interested in fashion." A lot of people simply can't respect religious reasoning in issues today. Thankfully, sane people refuse to accept "god said it was so" as any sort of argument at all. I'm surprised (perhaps naively so) to see people still using religion to fuel their own bigotry on these forums. I've got a better question to ask than whether or not homosexuality is natural or a choice: who really gives a shit one way or another? As soon as you can prove to me that homosexuality harms you or anyone at all, then I will start listening to your side of the argument. That's what this thread is really about - is homosexuality moral? Who does it hurt? I can list a number of ways that being openly homosexual helps folks: gays and lesbians feel more acceptance if they aren't forced to cover up their feelings. Homosexuality is no more a choice than it is a choice for heterosexuals to desire the opposite gender. Thinking that homosexuals wake up in the morning, stretch up, and exclaim to the world, "I feel like being homosexual today!" is preposterous. Genetic predispositions and upbringings aside, I have little doubt that scientists and psychologists will write up a pretty reasonable explanation within the next few years.

None.

Jul 15 2008, 8:55 am Lt.Church Post #305

well i think god may have alil gay in him as quoting the bible
Quote from Exodus 33:20-23
20 And again he said: Thou canst not see my face: for man shall not see me and live.

21 And again he said: Behold there is a place with me, and thou shalt stand upon the rock. 22 And when my glory shall pass, I will set thee in a hole of the rock, and protect thee with my right hand, till I pass: 23 And I will take away my hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face thou canst not see.
if that doesnt signify its natural to most of the religious people like falkoner(well maybe not mormons lol) then i dunno what would =P

None.

Jul 15 2008, 5:07 pm Falkoner Post #306

What? How are you pulling gay out of that? I admit, it's a bit comical for him to say "and thou shalt see my back parts" but in Biblical language, it does not mean what it would mean in our day, it just means that he won't be facing you.

None.

Jul 16 2008, 5:55 am Kaias Post #307

Quote from Lt.Church
well i think god may have alil gay in him as quoting the bible
Quote from Exodus 33:20-23
20 And again he said: Thou canst not see my face: for man shall not see me and live.

21 And again he said: Behold there is a place with me, and thou shalt stand upon the rock. 22 And when my glory shall pass, I will set thee in a hole of the rock, and protect thee with my right hand, till I pass: 23 And I will take away my hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face thou canst not see.
if that doesnt signify its natural to most of the religious people like falkoner(well maybe not mormons lol) then i dunno what would =P
Total misinterpretation.

None.

Jul 16 2008, 7:22 am MillenniumArmy Post #308

Church is not serious about his post.

None.

Jul 16 2008, 10:29 am The Great Yam Post #309

I'm faithful, not necessarily religious (strange enough to say it, I've taken on rather mystical beliefs).

I am also bisexual, and I see absolutely no reason for there to be an Angry God who creates gay people than gets all pissed off and gives them AIDS and tells people to kill them.

But the key thing is this: It happens in nature all the time. It happens in nurturing all the time. It happens, whether you can admit it or not, no one is making it happen, there is no real science of a "gene" or a "hormone" or a "pre-birth event" that leads to it. It's just a part of life, and honestly, you only really spend 11 minutes on it, tops.

After that you're just getting bored.

None.

Jul 16 2008, 11:47 am Screwed Post #310

Quote from Sael
As George Carlin put it, "A lot of gay men stay in the closet because they're interested in fashion." A lot of people simply can't respect religious reasoning in issues today. Thankfully, sane people refuse to accept "god said it was so" as any sort of argument at all. I'm surprised (perhaps naively so) to see people still using religion to fuel their own bigotry on these forums. I've got a better question to ask than whether or not homosexuality is natural or a choice: who really gives a shit one way or another? As soon as you can prove to me that homosexuality harms you or anyone at all, then I will start listening to your side of the argument. That's what this thread is really about - is homosexuality moral? Who does it hurt? I can list a number of ways that being openly homosexual helps folks: gays and lesbians feel more acceptance if they aren't forced to cover up their feelings. Homosexuality is no more a choice than it is a choice for heterosexuals to desire the opposite gender. Thinking that homosexuals wake up in the morning, stretch up, and exclaim to the world, "I feel like being homosexual today!" is preposterous. Genetic predispositions and upbringings aside, I have little doubt that scientists and psychologists will write up a pretty reasonable explanation within the next few years.

Thank you. Totally agree with you man. This debate has missed the key issue, the morality of homosexuality. Nurture or nature, choice or no choice are totally irrelevant and redundant.

For example, whether you are born to like eating chocolate or you choose to eat chocolate is irrelevant really. What matters is its EFFECT on people. What we should be debating about are the repercussions/effects of a homosexual individual and its impact on themselves, society, and others. The cause does not matter unless you have identified and justified the effect of the "outcome".

None.

Jul 16 2008, 2:22 pm Lt.Church Post #311

Quote from MillenniumArmy
Church is not serious about his post.
im glad someone got that millennium is my man =). I dont really see how big an impact someone being gay would have other than offending people who dislike gays,maybe i few less kids born but we need more kids adopted anyways :rolleyes:

None.

Jul 17 2008, 7:41 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #312

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from Sael
I can list a number of ways that being openly homosexual helps folks: gays and lesbians feel more acceptance if they aren't forced to cover up their feelings.
And they seem to be more accepting of other people, including non-gays. I've had friends who are part of the gay community and you can talk about anything with them and not feel silly.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Aug 8 2008, 10:54 pm Madroc Post #313

There was a study done that boys with 3 (or 4?) or more sisters were significantly more likely to realize their homosexuality.

None.

Aug 9 2008, 12:02 am KyleIs1337 Post #314

I do not believe in homosexuality! Sexual relations should be between a Man and a Woman.

None.

Aug 9 2008, 12:18 am EzDay281 Post #315

I do not believe in homosexuality! Sexual relations should be between a Man and a Woman.
Thank you for this completely pointless post.
Care to elaborate on your opinions?

None.

Aug 9 2008, 12:53 am KyleIs1337 Post #316

I am a Christian. And God says that in the Bible. I believe the Bible.

None.

Aug 9 2008, 1:12 am Money Post #317

Quote from KyleIs1337

So your religion is automatically correct? That's very far from true.

I'm not a Christian, but the Bible wasn't written by "God"?

None.

Aug 9 2008, 1:45 am A_of-s_t Post #318

aka idmontie

Quote from KyleIs1337
... I realize that you are 12 and have yet to realize that human's are flawed and that the Bible was written by said flawed people. We can therefor assume that the Bible itself is flawed, and thus, your perspective is flawed.

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion, no matter how... under developed it is.

Personal GitHub
TwitchTV

Aug 9 2008, 5:54 am Zombiechao Post #319

I am also bisexual, and I see absolutely no reason for there to be an Angry God who creates gay people than gets all pissed off and gives them AIDS and tells people to kill them.

This assumes god intended man to be a moral being in the first place and that he cared that a couple of half wit ape like creatures (adam and eve) fucked the same sex when they were created. God only imposed such rules after it was too late to change human nature.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 10 2008, 2:43 am by A_of-s_t.

None.

Aug 13 2008, 7:09 pm JaBoK Post #320

Quote from KyleIs1337
I do not believe in homosexuality!
Well, if you don't believe in homosexuality, then what do you call it when two guys do each other?

I do not believe in germany!
Phear my awesome logic!

Anyways, I personally believe that the tendency towards homosexuality is genetic, though the decision on whether or not to act on it is purely personal (no duh) and if that is the case, we can derive that all homosexual relations are for the purposes of personal enjoyment (just like 99% of heterosexual relations) and should therefore be looked at in the same way. People enjoy it, it doesn't hurt anyone, and it's none of your business unless you're involved. Honestly, unless you're gonna go so far as to spurn using condoms, birth control, or having sex before marriage, then you've really got no right to call homosexuality immoral. For that matter, even if you do believe in all of that, you should keep your opinions to yourself, I'd even argue against it being morally acceptable to teach that stuff to your kids, but that's another debate entirely.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 14 15 16 17 1819 >
  Back to forum