o hai
Dec 24 2009, 2:20 am
By: Sacrieur  

Dec 26 2009, 6:59 am Sacrieur Post #21

Still Napping

Quote from Fire_Kame
I think we're going to get along rather well... :blush: also...via post your pic topic. Its nice to see someone who freeruns. My bf tried to teach me PK at one time, but my shoes have no grip. Soooo when I get rich and can afford the gosu K Swiss shoes...I'll probably try again.

Haha, you don't need K-Swiss Ariakes. Just strap on some good running shoes and you'll be fine really.

Real men use vibrams (I would actually be using them in those pics except for it was bloody ten degrees outside):

None.

Dec 26 2009, 8:13 pm Fire_Kame Post #22

wth is starcraft

D: those look intense. Are they in women sizes, too? My feet are waaaay too small for men sizes. XD

Dec 27 2009, 6:01 pm Sacrieur Post #23

Still Napping

Why yes, they do come in girl's sizes. If you're looking at these you should know they have NO padding at all. You'll feel stuff. If you step on a rock the wrong way it can hurt. The plus side is that it protects your foot while truly simulating being barefoot. I love running barefoot so these were absolutely awesome.

Oh and Ciara, while I'm pretty confident in my ability with triggers, I'll be looking for some terrainers for a new map I'm planning.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 27 2009, 6:20 pm by Apollo.

None.

Dec 27 2009, 7:50 pm Fire_Kame Post #24

wth is starcraft

wtf. That's lame, I want padding. You might enjoy running barefoot but I don't want to ruin my joints...

Dec 27 2009, 8:11 pm Sacrieur Post #25

Still Napping

Quote from Fire_Kame
wtf. That's lame, I want padding. You might enjoy running barefoot but I don't want to ruin my joints...

On the contrary traditional shoes cause more joint injuries than barefoot. It is a misconception that we need to wear shoes. We weren't born with them. Running with shoes promotes improper running form (heel to toe) instead of landing on the ball of your foot like you should. Many lower joint and foot problems can be traced back to shoes (flat arches for example). We're better off without them.

Most of the concern would be about knee injuries. With proper conditioning and landing technique it can be avoided. Barefoot helps this since landing from anything improperly will hurt. Really there isn't any reason to take drops over 2 - 3 feet anyway. And we (APK) encourage new practitioners to not take drops over a foot for their first year of training.

None.

Dec 27 2009, 8:19 pm Jack Post #26

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Landing on the ball of your foot is bad for running long distances, so running shoes are good for that. Sprints require running on the ball of your foot, so running spikes are designed so that you run on the ball of your foot.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Dec 28 2009, 12:17 am Fire_Kame Post #27

wth is starcraft

What about shock absorption?

Dec 28 2009, 2:24 am Sacrieur Post #28

Still Napping

Quote from name:zany_001
Landing on the ball of your foot is bad for running long distances, so running shoes are good for that. Sprints require running on the ball of your foot, so running spikes are designed so that you run on the ball of your foot.

Where did you hear that? Because it isn't true...

This should quell any doubts about the negative effects of shoes.

As for shock absorption. Your lower leg actually acts like a spring when you land on the ball of your foot. It compresses and then springs back. This the way our bodies were designed to work. This way the impact of running and landing is not being transferred to the knee.

None.

Dec 28 2009, 3:45 am Fire_Kame Post #29

wth is starcraft

Hmm. I naturally run on the ball of my foot, in or out of shoes. Actually, its more like "leaping" at that point, so I guess that's why the point was a little lost on me.

Dec 28 2009, 4:28 am FatalException Post #30

Around here, when people are starting, they typically go to gyms... Learn how to land on a spring floor.

None.

Dec 28 2009, 5:43 pm Marine Post #31

Quote from name:Apollo
Oh and Ciara, while I'm pretty confident in my ability with triggers, I'll be looking for some terrainers for a new map I'm planning.

I can help if you want :D

None.

Options
  Back to forum