Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Believing in god or santa...
Believing in god or santa...
Feb 4 2009, 4:29 am
By: Dungeon-Master
Pages: < 1 2 3

Feb 4 2009, 10:40 pm ClansAreForGays Post #41

Oh, well in that case
Quote from echo
And you're saying matter/energy cannot be created or destroyed.
I am also saying that something that can not be created now destroyed can only logically exist if it simply always was. If matter was created, it would not be natural and would require faith, at least more faith than to assume it simply always was(Occam's Razor). This is why I really didn't think you responded to KK.
I can say God cannot be created or destroyed.
I am not arguing that, and I don't think anyone else is. Again, I really think you should be asking why the matter seemingly arbitrarily changed it's state(from here you could argue that an outside force must have acted upon it).

Because right now it almost sounds like your saying that because we all know matter exists and that it can not be created or destroyed, then god must exist since he can not be created or destroyed. Or are you really just still talking about "something has to start from somewhere."

Feb 4 2009, 10:54 pm Vi3t-X Post #42

I find it strange that a man on a cross is a symbol of Christianity.

In the old days, those who the Roman Empire deemed bad were hung and flocked on a Wooden Cross, and left to die.
Why is it then, that the cross is an important part of Christianity?

The cross was not uncommon in the Roman Eras. So why is it so important now?
Why is a man strung on a Cross (Jesus), so important?

None.

Feb 4 2009, 11:17 pm MillenniumArmy Post #43

Quote from Vi3t-X
Jesus Christ died for our sins, which is like the foundation to our walk in Christianity.

None.

Feb 4 2009, 11:28 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #44

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from Echo
Then how did things come to existance? How were the components of the big bang theory created? By your terms, something has to start from somewhere.
Why must there be a starting point? Who says they 'came into existance'? As far as I can contemplate things were always there, and always will be there.
Which makes the human species an infinitely small and insignificant blip in the universe... but I'm sure everyone already knew that.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Feb 4 2009, 11:44 pm by FaRTy1billion.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Feb 4 2009, 11:31 pm l)ark_ssj9kevin Post #45

Just here for the activity... well not really

There are too many religions for only one to be true, and we are only talking about the human's religion.
It's possible that Christianity is true, while it is also possible for Judiasm. It's even possible for a "council of Gods", but that contradicts with alot of monothesims.

Religion, to me, is fiction, fiction will strong themes and tells you how you should act, like your conscience.

guy lifting weight (animated smiley):

O-IC
OI-C

"Oh, I see it"

Feb 4 2009, 11:40 pm Dungeon-Master Post #46

Quote from Vi3t-X
I find it strange that a man on a cross is a symbol of Christianity.

In the old days, those who the Roman Empire deemed bad were hung and flocked on a Wooden Cross, and left to die.
Why is it then, that the cross is an important part of Christianity?

The cross was not uncommon in the Roman Eras. So why is it so important now?
Because i do not believe in any god doesn't means I do not care, i've been studying religions at school, and the cross was chosen as a symbol because it is the way the savior died to repent for our sins.

Actually, the deeper you go into a religion, the harder it is to believe.
Example: Jesus was born to save our souls from the sins we made -- This is plausible...
Jesus is the same person as god -- Yea... well...
Jesus was born from a virgin -- One of the things that makes all that unbelievable (yet it is not the only reason i am an atheist)
Jesus made a blind man see, and he ressurected when he died -- Another thing that makes this harder to believe...

Theese are just example of the impossible things that happens in this religion, correct me if I'm wrong, because my teacher actually told this to me. It makes sense and looks normal for anyone that believes in God, wich is okay, but i can't simply believe in any exploit Jesus made.

None.

Feb 4 2009, 11:43 pm l)ark_ssj9kevin Post #47

Just here for the activity... well not really

I never really studied the bible, but wasn't Jesus the son/prophet of God?

guy lifting weight (animated smiley):

O-IC
OI-C

"Oh, I see it"

Feb 5 2009, 12:12 am Echo Post #48

Quote from l)ark_ssj9kevin
I never really studied the bible, but wasn't Jesus the son/prophet of God?
Jesus is the son of God. Jesus is also God in terms of Trinity, in which there is God, the Holy Spirit, and Jesus.

None.

Feb 5 2009, 6:58 am Hercanic Post #49

STF mod creator, Modcrafters.com admin, CampaignCreations.org staff

Quote from NudeRaider
http://www.proofthatgodexists.org/proof.php
Is it me or are they having logic problems?
Indeed.

"Only in a universe governed by God can universal, immaterial, unchanging laws exist." Assumption. Why?

"Only in a universe governed by God can rational thinking be possible." Assumption. Why?

"We use rational thinking to prove things. Therefore... The Proof that God exists is that without Him you couldn't prove anything." Ow... brain...violated...

Feb 5 2009, 8:34 am InsolubleFluff Post #50

Isn't it a bit unfair that Humans, in specific Athiests have solve equations to life in order to be better then some supernatural being with magic powers? I mean come on the odds are slightly stacked. By the way it's only possible for all religions to be right if they stop being ignorant and accept they are all worshipping the same thing but through different beliefs. And for the record I was getting A* GCSE in religious education so i'm not particularly impressed ay anyone making that claim...

None.

Feb 5 2009, 11:23 am TriggR_HappE Post #51

Quote from name:Shocko
Isn't it a bit unfair that Humans, in specific Athiests have solve equations to life in order to be better then some supernatural being with magic powers?

Lol, how do you strive to be better than something you don't believe in? :P

None.

Feb 5 2009, 12:05 pm The Great Yam Post #52

Quote from CAFG
I am also saying that something that can not be created now destroyed can only logically exist if it simply always was. If matter was created, it would not be natural and would require faith, at least more faith than to assume it simply always was(Occam's Razor). This is why I really didn't think you responded to KK.

Again, I really think you should be asking why the matter seemingly arbitrarily changed it's state(from here you could argue that an outside force must have acted upon it).

Because right now it almost sounds like your saying that because we all know matter exists and that it can not be created or destroyed, then god must exist since he can not be created or destroyed. Or are you really just still talking about "something has to start from somewhere.
The problem with an "eternal universe" is very deep: As far as modern physics are generally concerned, matter/energy does not simply sit around. There is this very important mechanism called work. Now, I know you guys aren't scientists (or even greater apes), so lemme break it down for you: When matter/energy do basically ANYTHING, they are using up energy and converting it to heat (entropy).

Over a long enough time frame, granted that there is not some mechanism recycling this rising entropy, the universe CANNOT have had matter for an infinite time period. The way we generally understand the mechanics of our universe, we need a creation date, God or not. Please leave the fifth grade physics out of here.

None.

Feb 5 2009, 6:20 pm JaFF Post #53

Quote from Hercanic
"We use rational thinking to prove things. Therefore... The Proof that God exists is that without Him you couldn't prove anything."
This is the most well-engineered logical fallacity I've ever seen.

None.

Feb 5 2009, 7:55 pm ClansAreForGays Post #54

Quote from Hercanic
Quote from NudeRaider
http://www.proofthatgodexists.org/proof.php
Is it me or are they having logic problems?
Indeed.

"Only in a universe governed by God can universal, immaterial, unchanging laws exist." Assumption. Why?

"Only in a universe governed by God can rational thinking be possible." Assumption. Why?

"We use rational thinking to prove things. Therefore... The Proof that God exists is that without Him you couldn't prove anything." Ow... brain...violated...
Quote from proofthatgodexists
Are you gay?
Does your mom know you're gay?

Feb 5 2009, 7:59 pm ClansAreForGays Post #55

Quote from The Great Yam
Quote from CAFG

Again, I really think you should be asking why the matter seemingly arbitrarily changed it's state(from here you could argue that an outside force must have acted upon it).

Because right now it almost sounds like your saying that because we all know matter exists and that it can not be created or destroyed, then god must exist since he can not be created or destroyed. Or are you really just still talking about "something has to start from somewhere.
The problem with an "eternal universe" is very deep: As far as modern physics are generally concerned, matter/energy does not simply sit around. There is this very important mechanism called work. Now, I know you guys aren't scientists (or even greater apes), so lemme break it down for you: When matter/energy do basically ANYTHING, they are using up energy and converting it to heat (entropy).

Over a long enough time frame, granted that there is not some mechanism recycling this rising entropy, the universe CANNOT have had matter for an infinite time period. The way we generally understand the mechanics of our universe, we need a creation date, God or not. Please leave the fifth grade physics out of here.
You actually assumed we were discussing an already expanded universe, and not a singularity?

Feb 6 2009, 12:30 am The Great Yam Post #56

What? Weren't we discussing both? And it's not "already expanded", it's "currently expanding". Whether or not this expansion can continuously increase maximum entropy is something of an unknown, though I would think it wouldn't. Granted, my knowledge of physics is limited to mostly non-mathematical, basic explanations, but I understand the concepts.

The current, standard model of the creation of universe is based around a singularity: the Big Bang. The Universe does not "just exist" under this model, we need to find out HOW it came about. Models like string theory (also called m-theory), imaginary space, and "the Big Squish" have about the same amount of evidence as God (in the strict sense of a creating force, not a molding force). They are purely theoretical models that rely on unobserved phenomenon, unfalsifiable claims, and some currently unmeasurable (and unobserved!) items.

God is generally considered a singularity, correct? As is the big bang? Was my argument too good or something? I see plenty of holes!

Post has been edited 6 time(s), last time on Feb 6 2009, 12:39 am by The Great Yam.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3
  Back to forum