Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Showcase > Topic: The MAZE OF INSANITY
The MAZE OF INSANITY
Aug 4 2008, 12:37 am
By: Rantent  

Aug 4 2008, 12:37 am Rantent Post #1

The Maze of Insanity

Plot summary
"OH NO" Captain Stugart screams through the intercom, "We've hit an interdimensional portal!"
"Not again" Says first mate Nate Oregano Jr, who is known throughout Asia as one of those people who signs his name with lots of excess scribbles, "We've only been here since last tuesday."
The rest of the crew sleeps peacefully.
Then the Ship explodes.
BANG!

Somehow the crew has survived, but are stranded in the middle of space. (AND TIME FOO!)
"I would like to note that we are able to survive without oxygen, which is odd, to say the least." Remarks Sir. Gilligan Twocraver, who remains as a brilliant example of a horsefly.
"Well it IS another dimension" Quips Tom, causing great laughter among the rest of the crew.
From afar one of them, the computerized Dodecahedron, notices a strange building with one of those brightly lit Vegas signs poking out of it. Pointing it out using clicks and whistles, the computer overloads and shuts down. (It must be a PC.)
"Hey we should go there, maybe they have T&A!" Montgomery Roy Robinson exclaims, followed by many "Mhmms" from the rest of the crew.
And so the heroes (heroes?) set out on the journey to the strange building in the distance, each of them not knowing what their journey has in store for them, and not knowing how long it will be before they can taste the sweet nectar that is fourthmeal.
Note: this plot does not actually appear in the game, nor will it ever appear anywhere, it was simply used to waste your (and my) time.
WARNING, PLAYING THIS MAP WITH NOOBS WILL MAKE THEIR HEADS EXPLODE.
[attach=1493] <-- its revised somewhat.
ALSO, here's a map you can play with the NOOBs who's head might have exploded in the other map.
[attach=1494]

Attachments:
Maze of Insanity.scx
Hits: 26 Size: 41.46kb
Suicide mates.scm
Hits: 15 Size: 36.16kb

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Aug 7 2008, 5:17 am by Rantent.

None.

Aug 4 2008, 12:45 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #2

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from Rantent
O.O LET'S DO IT.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Aug 4 2008, 4:30 am Atlos Post #3

This map frustrates me to the max but somehow we beat it the other day.

None.

Aug 4 2008, 5:12 am MillenniumArmy Post #4

I like the concept.

but

I think it's too unorganized and messy. Especially since there are up to 7 zerglings that will have to cram through these narrow DT walls. Many times we've gotten stuck at our spawns and all the dying lurker visuals can really confuse people. Because when you have lurkers dying, you draw the attention of the players and they'll be like "Cool, lurkers dying" without actually trying to comprehend what they did wrong. The more often the lurkers die, the more attention you will be drawing away from the mechanics and purpose of the game. I think this effect is intensified by the space terrain too. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but when I played this, people were really confused, said this map sux (one guy said it sucked just as badly as labyrinthos RPG) and left. You should somehow clear up this confusion. This game is too complex for you to simply say "just follow each other's paths."

IMO I think you should use scourges or something instead of zerglings because ground units hog space; and space is very limited especially in some of your narrow DT corridors. This could help, because when your lings spawn and when one of your teamates is in the way; you may accidentally run into a DT as you try to go around the ling (thus confusing the player even more).

As for some tips. This is just my opinion but maybe could you add some "hints" or something? Like you know, temporary DT detectors, puzzle-like clues which require one to think deeply before finding the hidden "direction." Etc etc.

None.

Aug 4 2008, 5:20 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #5

👻 👾 👽 💪

Fix the checkpoint! With more than 1 zergling you get stuck there and can't move. If someone leaves, it clogs it up and you can't move ever.

Wtf. Labarynthos was awesome.

EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Aug 4 2008, 4:01 pm Rantent Post #6

Millennium:
But, I suppose I could actually put some effort into the map...
Mission briefing definitely needs to explain more.
But the big problem with fixing the checkpoint is that if players are close to the wall, and not dying, then they can try to hop it.
ANd yeah, I've been contemplating using scourges, but its so fun to see people curse out the path finding system.

Quote from Urmom(U)
This map frustrates me to the max but somehow we beat it the other day.
Was that before the revisions?

None.

Aug 4 2008, 5:13 pm The_z0r Post #7

Oooo... Gotta try this one. Looks like something that would suit me. :P

None.

Aug 4 2008, 8:08 pm MillenniumArmy Post #8

Yes, playing this map with noobs will make their head explode. And this should be because of the complexity and difficulty of the maze, not because of the functions or mechanics of the map if you know what i mean.

None.

Aug 4 2008, 8:08 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #9

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from Rantent
But the big problem with fixing the checkpoint is that if players are close to the wall, and not dying, then they can try to hop it.
What? Just make the little area bigger so that they aren't close to the wall. Yesterday someone left and we all had to quit because we were being spawned on the wall and couldn't move.

Aug 5 2008, 1:15 am Rantent Post #10

rofl, yeah I could do that I suppose.

None.

Aug 5 2008, 2:56 am The_Effect Post #11

NGM Leader

lol this map is hilarous and gets me frustrated lol
good job

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 5 2008, 5:09 am by The_Effect.

----- Next Generation Mappers (Leader)
www.comingsoon.com

current map list:
-- Black Hawk Down v2.0e (BETA)
-- Area 51
-- Aliens SE
-- Helms Deep v.NGM
-- Scope V2.1c
-- Narco's V2 (BETA)
-- Wild lands RPG
-- Sanctuary RPG (BETA)

Aug 7 2008, 5:19 am Rantent Post #12

mildly revised version is uploaded, as well as another map which will have you giggling over death for no reason at all, but which is entirely a worthless piece of junk that spewed from a nonsensical volcano gun idea.

None.

Aug 7 2008, 11:34 pm Craftstar2 Post #13

I was able to kill one of the dragoon savepoints around the middle.

None.

Aug 8 2008, 1:45 am BiOAtK Post #14

ITTTTTTTTTSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEE!!!1111!!!!111111oneone1111!!!!!!!1!1!!11

None.

Aug 8 2008, 7:15 pm Rantent Post #15

I was able to kill one of the dragoon savepoints around the middle.
You think I wouldn't let you kill things in a SC map? ;)

None.

Options
  Back to forum