Staredit Network > Forums > Media, Art, and Literature > Topic: Favorite Books/Authors
Favorite Books/Authors
Mar 26 2008, 9:33 pm
By: Centreri
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4

Oct 29 2011, 8:52 am Azrael Post #61

"Fight Club" by Chuck Palahniuk.

"The Art of War" by Sun Tzu.

"The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas.

"Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen.

"His Dark Materials" by Philip Pullman.

"A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens.

Just some random stuff I enjoyed.

Oct 29 2011, 10:47 am EzDay281 Post #62

I haven't really touched much in the way of books in way too long.
Going to head to the library after work on tuesday, though. That'll be fun. This thread will probably come in handy when that happens.

Aldous Huxley's Brave New World is certainly an interesting read. Much better, I'd say, than The Giver.
Dunno how it would stand up to age, but I really enjoyed K.A. Applegate's Everworld series back in middle school. Pretty short, though.

I also preferred Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul over Hitchhiker's guide. Might have something to do with the latter being a (relatively) long series that I read broken up over a third my life.

None.

Oct 29 2011, 6:40 pm Rantent Post #63

Walter Moers is an incredible author I've been loving recently. He writes german "childrens" stories. My favorites are The 13-1/2 Lives of Captain BlueBear, and Rumo and His Miraculous Adventures. I honestly laughed on every page of the former, and read the latter in a day. They are both roughly 700 pages.

None.

Oct 30 2011, 9:35 am LoveLess Post #64

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

Eric Nylund and anything he has ever written.

None.

Nov 10 2011, 4:58 pm Sand Wraith Post #65

she/her

Quote from MrrLL
Quote from Praetor
aahahahaha I have one joke in my post along with actual content and it gets deleted in this goddamn spam hole!! ahahahahahaha sen sucks maplantis moderators ftw
Apologies for being off topic; but I'm posting this here to clear this up: I removed the insult from his post, and he added it back a few minutes later. So, I just picked off the entire post. :)

To go on topic a bit.. I have plenty of favorites, but my recent one is "Things Fall Apart" by Chinua Achebe. May have been a book filled with words that an American could never pronounce, but it was really interesting to learn about their cultures and lifestyles.

I just read Things Fall Apart this summer. An amazing book in every aspect.

Also, Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness; another amazing book. It was fairly dense, but I learned at least one new word.

Had to read both of these for Post-Colonial English, but I regret nothing.

Nov 10 2011, 5:15 pm MetalGear Post #66

The best stuff you can ever read is the truth about the world, reality, culture, society; the stuff they don't tell you.

"A Language Older Than Words" by Derrick Jensens.

The book is basically about the true nature of our society, and once you start looking into our history, it's easy to tell the falsity behind which most of us stand and live our lives.

Here's an extract:

In order for us to maintain our way of living, we must, in a broad sense, tell lies to each other, and especially to ourselves. It is not necessary that the lies be particularly believable. The lies act as barriers to truth. These barriers to truth are necessary because without them many deplorable acts would become impossibilities. Truth must at all costs be avoided. When we do allow self-evident truths to percolate past our defenses and into our consciousness, they are treated like so many hand grenades rolling across the dance floor of an improbably macabre party. We try to stay out of harm's way, afraid they will go off, shatter our delusions, and leave us exposed to what we have done to the world and to ourselves, exposed as the hollow people we have become. And so we avoid these truths, these self-evident truths, and continue the dance of world destruction.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4
  Back to forum