Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Discussion > Topic: Problems with Current Modding Tools
Problems with Current Modding Tools
Mar 4 2015, 3:49 am
By: Sand Wraith
Pages: < 1 « 8 9 10 11 1223 >

Jun 13 2017, 1:19 pm poiuy_qwert Post #181

PyMS and ProTRG developer

Quote from KYSXD
Is it possible to add an option (or tool) to PyGRP to create .txt files in order to later import on PyICE.

For example:

If you have a .grp with 200 frames and you want
- GndAttkInit animation from frames 0x00 - 0x65 (6 frames animation if I'm count correctly)
- Death animation from 102 - 199 (98 frames animation)
the tool could have options to add the playfram command, wait, goto, etc... for all the frames to the file.

This would be very helpful when writting iscripts for units with a lot of frames.

I hope I'm explaining myself.
There is already the "Graphics Insert/Preview" window which is accessible from the iscript editor window (second last button on the toolbar next the the Sound Previewer, or Ctrl+W) to help with stuff like that. Did you not know of that feature or is it just not useful as it is? I would prefer to improve the tools in PyICE rather then add the functionality to PyGRP.

Quote from KYSXD
Edit: Also, an option to preview iscript animations could be useful too.
Quote from Pr0nogo
Previewing iscripts would be phenomenal. I think FaRTy worked on a tool for this earlier, but integrating it directly into PyICE would be a dream come true.
I do wan't to do this. I have already written a lot of code for it in PyMAP (which will probably never be completed/useful) with the intention of also using it in a previewer for PyICE, but I have not found the time to do it yet.

Quote from Pr0nogo
upon opening a script to edit it in the latest edition of PyICE, the program hangs for a solid minute or so (exact time seems to vary). Same thing happens when saving a modified script.
Hmm. So it hangs for a solid minute and then works fine otherwise? Are there any logs in Logs\PyICE.txt after this happens/after closing the app? Does it only happen with certain iscript.bin files or certain iscript entries you are editing? I can try and reproduce it when I get home but if I can't and there are no logs then it will be hard to figure out

Jun 13 2017, 7:09 pm Pr0nogo Post #182

Here is the log I found. The lag happens with any iscript file, fresh or otherwise. It functions correctly but the lag when saving and opening iscript entries is pretty debilitating.

Jun 13 2017, 7:23 pm poiuy_qwert Post #183

Quote from Pr0nogo
Here is the log I found. The lag happens with any iscript file, fresh or otherwise. It functions correctly but the lag when saving and opening iscript entries is pretty debilitating.
Hmm, nothing too out of the ordinary. Could you try opening Libs/trace.py and change both DEBUG and FSYNC to = False instead of True, and see if that fixes it? I have been leaving those on to hopefully log errors better, but it could cause lag when lots of logging goes on. It doesn't seem like there is much in your log file but worth a try until I can try and reproduce it when I get home.

Jun 13 2017, 8:13 pm KYSXD Post #184

Quote from poiuy_qwert
Quote from KYSXD
Is it possible to add an option (or tool) to PyGRP to create .txt files in order to later import on PyICE.

For example:

- GndAttkInit animation from frames 0x00 - 0x65 (6 frames animation if I'm count correctly)
the tool could have options to add the playfram command, wait, goto, etc... for all the frames to the file.

This would be very helpful when writting iscripts for units with a lot of frames.

There is already the "Graphics Insert/Preview" window which is accessible from the iscript editor window (second last button on the toolbar next the the Sound Previewer, or Ctrl+W) to help with stuff like that. Did you not know of that feature or is it just not useful as it is? I would prefer to improve the tools in PyICE rather then add the functionality to PyGRP.

I never noticed that :lol:

Is there any documentation of how it works?

Jun 13 2017, 8:25 pm poiuy_qwert Post #185

Quote from KYSXD
Quote from poiuy_qwert
Quote from KYSXD

For example:

I never noticed that :lol:

Is there any documentation of how it works?
No there is no documentation, but it should be fairly straight forward if you give it a try. But I realized I don't think it supports exactly what you wanted. I think it only supports generating individual commands, not "animations" with multiple commands. I'll have to think about this.

Jun 13 2017, 9:46 pm Pr0nogo Post #186

Quote from poiuy_qwert
Hmm, nothing too out of the ordinary. Could you try opening Libs/trace.py and change both DEBUG and FSYNC to = False instead of True, and see if that fixes it? I have been leaving those on to hopefully log errors better, but it could cause lag when lots of logging goes on. It doesn't seem like there is much in your log file but worth a try until I can try and reproduce it when I get home.
Unfortunately, I don't think I have the program needed to edit the .py file. I run it and it opens a command prompt-esque box for a short while before closing.

Jun 13 2017, 10:04 pm Moose Post #187

We live in a society.

Quote from Pr0nogo
Quote from poiuy_qwert
Unfortunately, I don't think I have the program needed to edit the .py file. I run it and it opens a command prompt-esque box for a short while before closing.
Open it with a text editor. You should see the source code and be able to change the values for DEBUG and FSYNC near the top.

What's happening is that the default action for a .py file on your system is to pass it to the Python interpreter. Since this code is for a library, it just makes the log folder, defines and sets up things, and then exits because there isn't actually anything to do. (the main program would call the code inside this file from other files)

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jun 13 2017, 10:19 pm by Mini Moose 2707.

Jun 13 2017, 11:21 pm Pr0nogo Post #188

Thanks moose!

After changing those lines from True to False, the lag appears to have been resolved.

Jun 14 2017, 1:04 am poiuy_qwert Post #189

Quote from Mini Moose 2707
Quote from Pr0nogo
Quote from poiuy_qwert
Open it with a text editor. You should see the source code and be able to change the values for DEBUG and FSYNC near the top.

What's happening is that the default action for a .py file on your system is to pass it to the Python interpreter. Since this code is for a library, it just makes the log folder, defines and sets up things, and then exits because there isn't actually anything to do. (the main program would call the code inside this file from other files)
Very thorough answer, thanks!

Quote from Pr0nogo
After changing those lines from True to False, the lag appears to have been resolved.
Ah so it was that. I have removed some excess log statements and I have disabled DEBUG by default now. The FSYNC part is the part that makes it really slow, but with DEBUG off, it will only matter if actual errors are happening which should be fine. If you ever find you are having a slowness issue you can try disabling FSYNC again to see if that fixes it.

Jun 25 2017, 6:38 am poiuy_qwert Post #190

I have released an update to PyTILE which has removed the old import/export system and replaced it with the new import/export system. Exporting graphics and settings are now separate features because the de-duplication happening in the graphics import makes it very hard to know what a settings import is doing. Settings exports/imports have changed, groups and megatiles settings are now exported/imported separately. I have also changed the export format, the group format is very similar to before, the megatile format is much better now. An example export:
Code
# Exported from /tileset/test.vf4
# Export of MegaTile 1
MegaTile:
    Height:
        LLMM
        LMHH
        LMHH
        LLMM
    Walkability:
    Block Sight:
    Ramp:

They can also omit layers to only import certain settings (if you just want to import height for example), as well as use question marks to make masks. For example if you want to change a bunch of megatiles and make the left side unwalkable and the right side walkable without affecting the middle or other layers, you would use:
Code
MegaTile:
    Walkability:
        0??1
        0??1
        0??1
        0??1

Jun 27 2017, 3:47 am poiuy_qwert Post #191

Quote from KYSXD

For example:

I have added a new Code Generator to PyICE (red gear in editor) which should help with this type of thing. It comes with some presets to hopefully help with the barrier to entry and for convenience. It can be a little complex, so if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
I have also added preview range support to the Graphics Previewer (like PyGRP has).

Quote from KYSXD
Edit: Also, an option to preview iscript animations could be useful too.
Quote from Pr0nogo
Previewing iscripts would be phenomenal. I think FaRTy worked on a tool for this earlier, but integrating it directly into PyICE would be a dream come true.
I'm planning to work on the iscript animation previewer next (though issues for any tool will stay highest priority, if any are reported). If anyone has or can get the old ICE and take some screenshots of the previewer so I can get some ideas, that would be awesome!

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 27 2017, 3:57 am by poiuy_qwert.

Jul 1 2017, 1:11 am Pr0nogo Post #192

When pressing 'enter' to search for an entry in PyDAT, the focus is removed from the search field, forcing users to click on the search field again in order to search multiple times.

When attempting to export multiple groups in PyTILE, an internal error is thrown. Attempting to export single groups yields a different error (I think).

Jul 1 2017, 2:29 am poiuy_qwert Post #193

Quote from Pr0nogo
When pressing 'enter' to search for an entry in PyDAT, the focus is removed from the search field, forcing users to click on the search field again in order to search multiple times.

When attempting to export multiple groups in PyTILE, an internal error is thrown. Attempting to export single groups yields a different error (I think).
Should all be fixed now, thanks!

Jul 1 2017, 2:30 am Pr0nogo Post #194

Hey, while you're at it, you can probably look into this:

PyLO holds on to stardat.mpq, making it impossible to launch starcraft (or at least a mod, haven't tested with the classic starcraft.exe). You have to close it to be able to launch them.

Jul 1 2017, 3:08 am poiuy_qwert Post #195

Quote from Pr0nogo
PyLO holds on to stardat.mpq, making it impossible to launch starcraft (or at least a mod, haven't tested with the classic starcraft.exe). You have to close it to be able to launch them.
I changed something, hopefully that fixes it.

Jul 1 2017, 5:50 am Pr0nogo Post #196

Bizarrely, the search fix for PyDAT fixed it in all areas except images.dat. That one still loses focus after searching.

PyTILE and PyLO appear fixed now. Thanks!

Jul 1 2017, 12:45 pm poiuy_qwert Post #197

Quote from Pr0nogo
Bizarrely, the search fix for PyDAT fixed it in all areas except images.dat. That one still loses focus after searching.
Should be fixed now. There also seemed to be issues with the Extra Overlay Placements section in images.dat, that should be fixed now too. Thanks!

Quote from Pr0nogo
PyTILE and PyLO appear fixed now. Thanks!
Perfect, thanks!

Jul 1 2017, 5:59 pm Pr0nogo Post #198

Excellent! Nice work. I'll get the fixes and report any other issues I find later on.

Jul 3 2017, 2:34 am poiuy_qwert Post #199

I released a new version, it includes:
1) Re-enable the update checker. It stopped working because it depended on BWAI.com, but now it is checking github.
2) I started updating settings handling, starting with PyGRP. My main goals are recording the last path for things separately, for convenience. For example PyGRP used to track everything as 'lastpath', but now it tracks 'opengrp', 'savegrp', 'importbmp', and 'exportbmp' separately. I'll be rolling that out to more programs slowly, if anyone has any program they would prefer me to prioritize, please speak up.
3) I changed the UI in PyGRP for selecting the import/export style (single bmp, etc.).

I'm also still hoping someone has or can get the old ICE and take some screenshots of the iscript previewer so I can get some ideas for PyICE :(

Jul 3 2017, 2:55 am Corbo Post #200

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

2) I started updating settings handling, starting with PyGRP. My main goals are recording the last path for things separately, for convenience. For example PyGRP used to track everything as 'lastpath', but now it tracks 'opengrp', 'savegrp', 'importbmp', and 'exportbmp' separately. I'll be rolling that out to more programs slowly, if anyone has any program they would prefer me to prioritize, please speak up.

Holy shit. Thanks. Do TILE then BIN

fuck you all

Options
Pages: < 1 « 8 9 10 11 1223 >
  Back to forum