Staredit Network > Forums > Lite Discussion > Topic: Speech Flaws
Speech Flaws
Mar 25 2011, 12:28 am
By: TiKels  

Mar 25 2011, 12:28 am TiKels Post #1

It's an interesting subject and in rare occasions it can be completely unnoticeable. I am curious as to what speech flaws you all may or may not have.

I personally, and you will never notice it, say a lot of words with a "CH" sound as opposed to a "T" sound. Such as the words "Tree" "Treasury" "Treaty" and I'm sure there are others. Of course, I don't say all my T's like that. The word "That" ends on a normal "T" sound. I actually find it awkward saying these words correctly. It's uncomfortable.

Can't think of a word that I have the "CH" sound other than at the beginning of the word.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Mar 25 2011, 12:38 am Decency Post #2

I start saying words and think of a more appropriate word halfway through, combining the two. It's strange and happens a lot.

None.

Mar 25 2011, 12:42 am payne Post #3

:payne:

Quote from name:FaZ-
I start saying words and think of a more appropriate word halfway through, combining the two. It's strange and happens a lot.
Very common. :P

None.

Mar 25 2011, 1:05 am LoveLess Post #4

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

I whistle my S when it's the first letter of a word. And I tend to mumble when I first start talking, but gradually get louder.

None.

Mar 25 2011, 1:15 am Observer12425 Post #5

Zero volume control. Zero.

None.

Mar 25 2011, 1:18 am Decency Post #6

Quote from payne
Quote from name:FaZ-
Very common. :P

I've never noticed anyone else do it. =o Also, I say "wool" instead of well.

I had speech class in Kindergarten, evidently I talked way too fast and was often unintelligible. Doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

None.

Mar 25 2011, 1:41 am Dem0n Post #7

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

APPARENTLY, the correct way to say 'pull' is 'p-uh-ll', and not 'pool.' White peoples say I say it wrong, but I refuse to believe that the 'u' is pronounced with the short 'u' sound. >>

Mar 25 2011, 1:51 am TiKels Post #8

Both of them sound right to me dem0n. And I'm a certified white person.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Mar 25 2011, 2:41 am Fire_Kame Post #9

wth is starcraft

I didn't start speaking until I was three. I was in speech therapy from then until seventh grade. Now I'm not that bad. The last thing I worked on were "er" "ir" "ur" "ar" for some reason I had issues. But I'm fine now. Apparently I mix up "een" and "ing" but for the life of me I don't hear a difference.

Mar 25 2011, 3:00 am Raitaki Post #10

Quote from TiKels
Can't think of a word that I have the "CH" sound other than at the beginning of the word.
Retreat? Untrain? Contract? Control? Castrate? Sentry? Rancher? Ranch? Rich? Richer? Richest?

None.

Mar 25 2011, 3:25 am MillenniumArmy Post #11

what's up y'all?

None.

Mar 25 2011, 3:38 am Decency Post #12

Whoever reported that, wrong. As someone from Massachusetts I can speak to the effect that saying something like that will make the majority of us think you're dumber than any stutter will ever do.

Which is kind of strange, because having a pronoun for second person plural would solve a lot of communication issues.

None.

Mar 25 2011, 3:58 am Fire_Kame Post #13

wth is starcraft

Quote from MillenniumArmy
what's up y'all?

When I read that, this came to mind:

Mar 25 2011, 4:31 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #14

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from TiKels
I personally, and you will never notice it, say a lot of words with a "CH" sound as opposed to a "T" sound. Such as the words "Tree" "Treasury" "Treaty" and I'm sure there are others. Of course, I don't say all my T's like that. The word "That" ends on a normal "T" sound. I actually find it awkward saying these words correctly. It's uncomfortable.
That's not unusual. ;o I say those the same way.

I fail at speaking entirely. If you want to hear incomprehensible babbling, just listen to me try to say something meaningful. I'll switch words, letters, and thoughts around ... change mid-sentence how my opinion or thought is worded and just shuffle what I was originally saying and what I am now trying to say... I'll just kinda stumble over what I'm trying to say. This is caused by a huge problem I have with thoughts & ideas -> language.. It doesn't help having to actively translate my thoughts into words as I say them.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Mar 25 2011, 4:37 am by FaRTy1billion.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Mar 25 2011, 5:15 am Fire_Kame Post #15

wth is starcraft

Oh if we're talking about how we form sentences...sometimes when I type online I'm a bit incoherent. Like I use the wrong tense or form or something, but it technically make sense.

Mar 25 2011, 5:42 am UnholyUrine Post #16

Aphasia??

None.

Mar 25 2011, 6:14 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #17

👻 👾 👽 💪

I was exaggerating a bit ... Really the only thing is the translating thoughts to words... It is far easier to think in ideas than to think in words, but then I have to figure out how to turn ideas into words.. which causes a lot of stumbling around what I'm saying and especially with ADHD which causes me to forget what I'm talking about as I'm thinking about what I'm saying (which causes the changing how I word things mid-sentence, causing me to combine both ways I was saying it thing).

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Mar 25 2011, 7:42 am RIVE Post #18

Just Here For The Pie

It is "wah-TER" not "wader", but I will rarely pronounce the 't' in 'water'.

Also, when going into detail, I tend to pause before an important noun or verb as if I have suffered from a stroke and my memory is fading.

None.

Mar 25 2011, 3:57 pm IskatuMesk Post #19

Lord of the Locker Room

Quote from TiKels
It's an interesting subject and in rare occasions it can be completely unnoticeable. I am curious as to what speech flaws you all may or may not have.

It's quite noticeable in my casts. My thoughts become sidetracked very easily. So, stuttering is one of the biggest things, followed by completely replacing entire words or parts of sentences with others. Half the time I don't even notice it until I verify the cast, upon which I facepalm.

I think the habit of saying "uh" and "um" in spoken sentences is probably the biggest and most aggravating thing you'll see in people's speech. Sometimes you can use these forms intentionally for an intended effect, but in most instances it just irritates the shit out of you instead.

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Mar 27 2011, 2:12 am BeDazed Post #20

I speak too fast. They sometimes turn into meaningless babbles.

None.

Options
  Back to forum