Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: My degree is best degree.
My degree is best degree.
Nov 29 2010, 4:29 am
By: Fire_Kame
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4

Polls
Is your degree best degree?
Is your degree best degree?
Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
Yes 9

41%
No 2

10%
I don't has one. 11

50%
Please login to vote.
Poll has 22 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Dec 15 2010, 10:08 pm Decency Post #61

I have nothing against art degrees, I have something against schools like mine that have something like 40% art majors. I'm sorry, but there are not that many art teachers and the vast majority of them are not good enough to do it professionally.

So yeah, it's perfectly okay to me to look down on people who are going to be a drain on society and they know it and they choose to do it anyway. A lot of people just have to accept that it should've never been more than a hobby to them.

None.

Dec 16 2010, 5:53 am Fire_Kame Post #62

wth is starcraft

I had an art teacher that spent two months on 'cubism' by which I mean he had us draw the same damn chair from different angles on sheets of tracing paper, overlay them and as he put it 'follow random lines' okay, whatever. >.> His favorite piece a student had ever done was a baby shirt made out of aluminum foil.

Dec 16 2010, 9:57 pm Centreri Post #63

Relatively ancient and inactive

I had an art teacher in high school who I liked. He kept giving random art assignments, I kept making them in Photoshop. It was swell. It was easy, but it wasn't a real art class. From what I hear from Art students at my school, it's challenging, so I respect what they do.

I essentially respect effort. If the art students here barely worked, then I'd look down on them. Likewise, when I see people with majors like business doing little with their time, I look down on them.

KAME

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 16 2010, 10:03 pm by Centreri.

None.

Dec 16 2010, 10:11 pm NicholasBeige Post #64

Out of 10,000 artists, 1% will have talent, and 0.01% of them will be truly amazing. And for something as subjective as 'Art', the 0.01% of one group of 10,000 artists might appeal to you, whereas the 0.01% of another group of 10,000 might find you despising their work. It is for this reason that people who go on to study a Masters degree in art, often do their dissertation on 'What is Art?'.

You can't just have a broad generalised hatred for 'all arts' because then you're a pretty depressing and sad individual who should probably just go to the kitchen, grab a fork, and scrape out your lonely eyeballs.

Besides, someone on the previous page had quoted someone else saying that Geography is an art. They were obviously misguided and confused.

There are 'The Arts', also known as 'Humanities'. These include, History, History of Art, Philosophy, Sociology, Anthropology, Politics, Theology, Literature etc... There are opposed to 'Art' which is obviously Painting, Sculpting, Drawing, Filming etc... 'The Arts' also includes, to a certain degree, business oriented degrees, such as Management and Human Resources. Whereas, the more mathematical and economic side of things such as obviously, Maths and Economics, are more clustered towards Science.

Then there are 'Earth Sciences', which include: Geology, Archaeology, Soil Sciences, Chemistry (to a certain degree) etc... Many of these are included within Geography.

Then there are the 'Pure Sciences', which typically include (Maths?), Chemistry, Biology and Physics. However, then we have Geography, which encompasses as mentioned, Earth Sciences, but also some of 'The Arts' - literature is covered, politics is definitely covered (see Geopolitics), history is covered (see Geographical Tradition), . However, it also encompasses Cartography and GIS (which is basically databases and programming).

This very simplified (beleive it or not) categorisation of knowledge doesn't even mention Computer Sciences or Engineering. Or a vast other number of subjects and degrees.

In short: do what you like to do, don't judge others for doing what they like to do.

None.

Dec 16 2010, 10:12 pm Centreri Post #65

Judging is fun; I'll stick to it.

None.

Dec 16 2010, 10:13 pm NicholasBeige Post #66

Lemme guess. Lawyer?

None.

Dec 16 2010, 10:32 pm Fire_Kame Post #67

wth is starcraft

Quote from Centreri
I essentially respect effort. If the art students here barely worked, then I'd look down on them. Likewise, when I see people with majors like business doing little with their time, I look down on them.

KAME
When my corporation takes over the world, you're first :awesome:

Dec 16 2010, 10:38 pm Centreri Post #68

No, Cardinal. Engineer. Why? Because I don't pretend to be perfectly non-judgemental?

Kame: If you need an evil robot army, you know who to call. ;D

None.

Dec 16 2010, 10:38 pm Fire_Kame Post #69

wth is starcraft

Quote from Centreri
Surely not the communists...

Dec 17 2010, 12:24 am poison_us Post #70

Back* from the grave

Quote from Fire_Kame
Quote from Centreri
If you need two chemicals to react extremely violently, but don't want the residue of conventional explosives, your favorite Chem major is here ;D

Dec 17 2010, 2:10 am Fire_Kame Post #71

wth is starcraft

Quote from poison_us
Quote from Fire_Kame
Quote from Centreri
If you need two chemicals to react extremely violently, but don't want the residue of conventional explosives, your favorite Chem major is here ;D
Wouldn't you rather to toxicity risk analysis? ;D

Dec 17 2010, 2:44 am poison_us Post #72

Back* from the grave

Quote from Fire_Kame
Quote from poison_us
Quote from Fire_Kame
Quote from Centreri
Wouldn't you rather to toxicity risk analysis? ;D
No, I'd rather combine Hydrazine with Dinitrogen Tetraoxide ;D

Dec 17 2010, 8:45 am CaptainWill Post #73

If you need someone to chronicle your world-dominating exploits, then I'm your man.

None.

Dec 17 2010, 5:24 pm poison_us Post #74

Back* from the grave

Until I blow him up, dissolve his bones while keeping his skin and other flesh largely intact, suffocate him with sulfur hexafluoride, etc.

Dec 17 2010, 11:17 pm Fire_Kame Post #75

wth is starcraft

Quote from CaptainWill
If you need someone to chronicle your world-dominating exploits, then I'm your man.
Ah yes...everything is falling into place >: D

Dec 18 2010, 1:44 am MadZombie Post #76

If you need someone to make a Pixar movie on the rise of your empire, then I'm your man.

None.

Dec 20 2010, 9:20 pm FatalException Post #77

Quote from name:FaZ-
I have nothing against art degrees, I have something against schools like mine that have something like 40% art majors. I'm sorry, but there are not that many art teachers and the vast majority of them are not good enough to do it professionally.

So yeah, it's perfectly okay to me to look down on people who are going to be a drain on society and they know it and they choose to do it anyway. A lot of people just have to accept that it should've never been more than a hobby to them.
You know that there are A LOT of different types of art major, right? That list only contains visual arts, as well. Your art teacher wasn't your only teacher to be an art major.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4
  Back to forum