Staredit Network > Forums > Staredit Network > Topic: Propose establishing a SEN IRC channel:
Propose establishing a SEN IRC channel:
May 2 2010, 9:36 pm
By: Aristocrat  
Polls
Use #SEN on quakenet as SEN's official IRC chat?
Use #SEN on quakenet as SEN's official IRC chat?
Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
Yes 3

12%
Hell yes! 4

15%
No 20

75%
Please login to vote.
Poll has 27 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

May 3 2010, 5:23 pm Forsaken Archer Post #21

You want a private messaging system... in the shoutbox?

None.

May 3 2010, 5:39 pm rockz Post #22

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Quote from Excalibur
IRC is for old people. No one who was born in the last 20 years has any reason to use IRC. At all.
Damn, I'm old then.

Shoutbox is all we need. I don't IRC much anyway. It's far from being dead, but it's also far from being mainstream and useful, what with web 5.0 coming out soon (I can only assume).

Quote from name:isolatedpurity
You want a private messaging system... in the shoutbox?
we can already whisper.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

May 6 2010, 5:22 pm Forsaken Archer Post #23

Been lurking in teamliquid's channel. They seem to hand out beta keys occasionally. So if you want one, you could ask politely.

Protips: Download mirc, it's a lot better than just visiting with the webpage. Set your colors/fonts as you wish.
I might possibly do some mirc scripting later to allow some level of integration with SEN, depending on the popularity. It actually might be end up being nice having a dedicated chatroom. While we do have the shoutbox, in irc you can do so much more.

None.

May 6 2010, 8:26 pm The Starport Post #24

Like what?

None.

May 6 2010, 9:41 pm Doodle77 Post #25

SEN used to have an IRC channel. It wasn't used enough to justify keeping.
http://web.archive.org/web/20050204065829/staredit.net/?pg=irc

None.

May 7 2010, 12:26 am Aristocrat Post #26

Quote from Centreri
If it NEEDS Java to run, I'm against it.

TL's IRC page is a worst-case scenario obv. Quakenet's webchat is all AJAX based.

It can be embedded in SEN with this:

Code
<iframe src="http://webchat.quakenet.org/?randomnick=1&channels=SEN" width="PAGEWIDTH" height="400"></iframe>

None.

May 7 2010, 12:39 am EzTerix Post #27

I agree with Excalibur. Using IRC instead of shoutbox is more of a downgrade than anything else.

None.

May 7 2010, 2:31 am CaptainWill Post #28

I've always been a fan of IRC due to its flexibility and comprehensive nature. It has its weaknesses but there is a reason why it has endured for so long as a communications protocol. Battle.net copied a lot of IRC commands.

None.

May 7 2010, 8:08 pm Aristocrat Post #29

Quick glitch: "Anwser" in polls.

People keep saying that IRC has drawbacks, but I have yet to see a reason besides "we don't like it, too lazy to change, I agree with <admin> because he's an admin and is thus infallible, we've always been at war with Eastasiausing the shoutbox...".

None.

May 12 2010, 8:44 am CaptainWill Post #30

I also support IRC but there doesn't seem to be much point if a majority is against it.

We would need to get infrastructure in place and get people registered with NickServ to avoid namestealing and whatnot.

None.

May 12 2010, 8:27 pm Forsaken Archer Post #31

Well if we stay with the current server, you register your nick with Q, a bot who is always in the channel.

None.

May 13 2010, 1:22 am l)ark_ssj9kevin Post #32

Just here for the activity... well not really

Is it possible to have a read-only version of op SEN hosted on SEN? As in, we could see in the perspective of the SEN bot. I'm not entirely sure what client the Bot is on but is it possible to export the chat log and host it onto SEN in real-time or close to real-time?

guy lifting weight (animated smiley):

O-IC
OI-C

"Oh, I see it"

May 13 2010, 1:30 am Jack Post #33

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Webbot does what you want, kev. I use one for op RCDF sometimes.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Options
  Back to forum