Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Terrain > Topic: Terrain from a jpg map. Retrace?
Terrain from a jpg map. Retrace?
Mar 30 2010, 2:03 pm
By: major  

Mar 30 2010, 2:03 pm major Post #1

Hi, I want to make a map of Europe. Similar to all the Diplo maps.
I'm using SCMDraft 2. Is there a fancy way of retracing a picture there? Maybe some other application can do that?
Or do I have to switch between scmdraft and preview application and do everything by hand/eye?

Less important question. Sometimes, on jungle tileset, some of my tree doodas seem to loose the upper part, as if someone chopped it down. Why? How can I fix it?

None.

Mar 30 2010, 2:18 pm Devourer Post #2

Hello

You probably are asking for SCPM or better: MapSketch. This can convert images into scbw maps.

And your bug with the doodads: this happens because the upper parts a "sprites" and not terrain. In the SCM-Draft you can find all sprites on the left tree navigation, keep in mind that placing certain sprites will crash the game on start or when viewing it.

Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Mar 30 2010, 4:25 pm Excalibur Post #3

The sword and the faith

I did exactly what you're doing for Diplomacy: Empires. Here's how I did it:

I used paint to create an image 512x512 which I drew Europe and the bodies of water on with black borders and two distinct fill colors. I used SCPM to turn said image into a 256x256 map. Then in SCMD's profile options I set the unit limit extremely high. I then used scourges to mark the water/land borders, and used the ISOM tool to make everything nice and terrain-able.

On your tree question: You're over the sprite limit or the protector you're using is causing the issue. SC can allow 499 sprites but its best to stay below 400 for Valks and other units that use them a lot to attack.

Good luck with your map. :)

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Mar 30 2010, 5:32 pm major Post #4

Thanks. That was very helpful.
I'm surprised that no one has come up with an application like SCPM that would let you draw with basic rgb values and then soften it up to a proper terrain.

None.

Mar 30 2010, 7:59 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #5

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from major
I'm surprised that no one has come up with an application like SCPM that would let you draw with basic rgb values and then soften it up to a proper terrain.
Because that is far more complicated than it is worth. ;o

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Mar 31 2010, 12:42 am Aristocrat Post #6

A SCMDraft plugin could accomplish that if you can somehow generate a grid corresponding to the isometric tiles.

None.

Mar 31 2010, 11:30 am major Post #7

Quote from O)FaRTy1billion[MM]
Quote from major
Because that is far more complicated than it is worth. ;o

You're right. I managed to retrace a map of Europe following Excalibur's advice in less than 30 minutes. But it would take much more figuring out if he didn't say how to do it.

None.

Mar 31 2010, 2:41 pm Excalibur Post #8

The sword and the faith

Just used this method for a North America map I may or may not finish. Thanks to Canada and the northern isles, it took just under 4000 scourges to outline the damn thing. :P

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Options
  Back to forum