Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Showcase > Topic: Temple Siege M8e
Temple Siege M8e
Oct 27 2009, 4:30 am
By: Moose
Pages: < 1 « 5 6 7 8 948 >

Nov 6 2009, 6:42 am ClansAreForGays Post #121

Is mid open? (relative to top and bottom)

Nov 6 2009, 7:53 am Decency Post #122

I'll probably think it's terrible because you don't play TS at all as far as I know. =p

None.

Nov 6 2009, 8:49 pm Excalibur Post #123

The sword and the faith

Quote from ClansAreForGays
Is mid open? (relative to top and bottom)
Mid is more open but I haven't finalized the mid design quite yet.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Nov 6 2009, 10:14 pm OlimarandLouie Post #124

How about making the south temple's players spawn further upwards, so they don't have to walk around the temple (it takes a tad longer) to get where they are going in the opening rush.

None.

Nov 7 2009, 4:57 am DrakeClawfang Post #125

That would be a good idea, yeah.

None.

Nov 10 2009, 11:49 pm rockz Post #126

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Quote from Mini Moose 2707
Quote from rockz
I realize this is late balance and all, and probably not worth the time, but it seems like bottom has a slight advantage due to the way SC creates units. ... Has this been discussed? (there's 70 pages in this thread, and I definitely haven't read it all).
It's something I've thought about, whether or not I've discussed it. It's like this for a lot of spells and would be a big reason that I would favor an east-west terrain over northwest-southeast if anyone were to remake it for some relatively distant future. Some examples:
  • Medics for Medic's L1 spawn to her south side. Rarely significant, but a fact.
  • Volt's L1 Scourges die from left to right, so there's slightly more time for Scourge on the right to travel and hit someone.
  • Light Mage's L2 Reavers are spawned to his south side. (fixed in 1.5, M8+)
  • Light Mage's L4 Reavers are spawned to his south side.
  • The effectiveness (damage and trapping) of Mutant's L2 greatly varies with his position.
  • Archer's L1 doesn't create evenly.
  • Archer's L2 Companions spawn to his south side.
  • Dark Mage's Orb spawned to her south side. More significant than Medic's L1, but roughly as rare.
  • The way Dark Mage's L4 Broodlings spawn around the affected players allows them to survive easily if they are fast enough and run to the side/up. This one is perhaps the one that bothers me most.
  • Mech's L1 Tanks spawn to its south. Sometimes it saves your life, sometimes it can trap you.
  • Mech transforms move you to the south.
  • Special Ops' L1 lays mines to his south side. An advantage if you're retreating north.
Might as well put this response in the M8+ topic, since it's being updated. Sorry if there's confusion.
Medics, dark orbs, and other summons just don't bother me much. They aren't really meant to be used in a combat situation. Light mage's reavers and mech's siege tanks don't bother me much either, since they have such range, and they are so slow. The tanks pose a little bit of problem, but not as much as the vult, and in this case, it's entirely situational. You can't exactly chase most people in a goliath.

Is there a reason mech transforms displaces you? Not that I don't appreciate being able to jump out of a trap and being invisible for half a second, but it doesn't make much sense. Vultures, goliaths, and tanks all have the same unit size, which I would think removes any possibility of glitching on terrain.

Mutant is small enough and fast enough to make me not particularly worry about the balance aspect. Anyone can do equally well on either team. You pretty much just want to get in front of them, which isn't to hard for the smallest unit in the game.

Archer's l1 has troubled me a little. I toyed with stacking mutalisks, but unfortunately, I can't find a way other than for the player to physically make them from disabled larva sprites. It would be an instant thing at the beginning of the game to just make 4 mutalisks should the player choose archer. This would let them be stacked directly over the archer. I suppose it wouldn't be hard to do a 1x1 grid and put the mutas on the scourges either. If he doesn't make the mutalisks, then it would revert to the normal l1, for the noobs who don't do it. This also has the side effect of letting you hotkey your mutas, which is something I'd love to do.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Nov 11 2009, 12:12 am Moose Post #127

We live in a society.

Quote from rockz
Might as well put this response in the M8+ topic, since it's being updated. Sorry if there's confusion.
Medics, dark orbs, and other summons just don't bother me much.
To clarify, I never said all of these things actually bother me. I was just giving examples of position-related imbalances, no matter how trivial. (and some are quite trivial indeed)

Quote from rockz
Light mage's reavers and mech's siege tanks don't bother me much either, since they have such range, and they are so slow. The tanks pose a little bit of problem, but not as much as the vult, and in this case, it's entirely situational. You can't exactly chase most people in a goliath.
It was more of a range thing. You're in range of Mech's L1 at 12 tiles from the tanks... which is 11 tiles from the Mech himself on the north and 13 on the south. Same thing with different numbers for Reavers... that becomes a factor for LM using L4 to take down cannons but staying out of range.

Quote from rockz
Is there a reason mech transforms displaces you?
Actually, the reason is that I didn't look at the triggers closely enough. I just need to change the order of the Move Actions and we're good.

Quote from rockz
Mutant is small enough and fast enough to make me not particularly worry about the balance aspect. Anyone can do equally well on either team. You pretty much just want to get in front of them, which isn't to hard for the smallest unit in the game.
Some fronts are better than others. Play around with positioning and you'll see the differences.

Quote from rockz
Archer's l1 has troubled me a little. I toyed with stacking mutalisks, but unfortunately, I can't find a way other than for the player to physically make them from disabled larva sprites. It would be an instant thing at the beginning of the game to just make 4 mutalisks should the player choose archer. This would let them be stacked directly over the archer. I suppose it wouldn't be hard to do a 1x1 grid and put the mutas on the scourges either. If he doesn't make the mutalisks, then it would revert to the normal l1, for the noobs who don't do it.
I don't get what you're saying here. Would the Mutas be over the Archer at all times or what's going on here?

Quote from rockz
This also has the side effect of letting you hotkey your mutas, which is something I'd love to do.
Yes, but we could do that anyway if we wanted to just reuse the same Mutalisks by giving them to the caster player and back to neutrals when the spell isn't in use.

Nov 11 2009, 12:36 am wish4me Post #128

Quote from Mini Moose 2707
Quote from rockz
Archer's l1 has troubled me a little. I toyed with stacking mutalisks, but unfortunately, I can't find a way other than for the player to physically make them from disabled larva sprites. It would be an instant thing at the beginning of the game to just make 4 mutalisks should the player choose archer. This would let them be stacked directly over the archer. I suppose it wouldn't be hard to do a 1x1 grid and put the mutas on the scourges either. If he doesn't make the mutalisks, then it would revert to the normal l1, for the noobs who don't do it.
I don't get what you're saying here. Would the Mutas be over the Archer at all times or what's going on here?

The muta's could be off to the side stacked. Enclosed in a 1x1 square with triggers (such as constantly moving them back). Then moved above the archer when the L1 is casted.

None.

Nov 11 2009, 12:38 am Moose Post #129

We live in a society.

Don't they just spread back out when you move them via trigger?

Nov 11 2009, 1:16 am rockz Post #130

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Pre-placed disabled unit sprite larvae can morph into any unit, and that unit will have no collision box. Since air drift is based off of image size, they will drift like normal, but when you move them via triggers they will stack in the air.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Nov 11 2009, 3:28 am ClansAreForGays Post #131

This sounds really cool.

Nov 11 2009, 3:29 am Excalibur Post #132

The sword and the faith

Quote from rockz
Pre-placed disabled unit sprite larvae can morph into any unit, and that unit will have no collision box. Since air drift is based off of image size, they will drift like normal, but when you move them via triggers they will stack in the air.
Does the wiki know this? Because this is the first I've heard of such a thing.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Nov 11 2009, 4:48 am rockz Post #133

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

I thought it was common knowledge that disabling via triggers cloaks the unit, while placing a disabled unit sprite removes its collision box.

It creates a rock sprite for each one when you enable it (you have to enable it to be able to build). If you look at it when it's being enabled, it will crash.

Attachments:
Sprites.scx
Hits: 3 Size: 38.66kb

Nov 11 2009, 5:28 am Decency Post #134

Very strange that that pi shaped rock sprite always indicates a crash... I kind of wonder why that is. =o

My only thought for balance is to make things like the Mech's vultures and Siege Tanks spawn in turn. First below, then to the left, then above, then to the right, then below, etc. This would let a smart player avoid the collision 100% of the time, and allow players to chase in all directions equally.

The same could be done with Orbs and Medics.

None.

Nov 11 2009, 7:46 am UnholyUrine Post #135

@Rockz: is this the same concept as stacking marines? Or am I completely missing the mark.... :P

@Mech transforms move you to the south: This is due to my worrying the "Death trigger" will fire because no mech units are on the arena.... Therefore, I moved the new mech unit before moving the old unit back. I'm sure Moose can fix this, as he seem to know my triggers better than I do now :D.

None.

Nov 11 2009, 10:21 am Decency Post #136

Quote from UnholyUrine
@Rockz: is this the same concept as stacking marines? Or am I completely missing the mark.... :P

@Mech transforms move you to the south: This is due to my worrying the "Death trigger" will fire because no mech units are on the arena.... Therefore, I moved the new mech unit before moving the old unit back. I'm sure Moose can fix this, as he seem to know my triggers better than I do now :D.

That will make the Mech a lot weaker, I abuse that all the time. I had figured that was the cause of his switch always moving him out of a surround but I didn't believe you'd actually do something that obvious... How can you think a trigger is going to run during another instantaneous trigger!?

None.

Nov 11 2009, 4:27 pm rockz Post #137

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Yes, stacked marines work the same way.

@ mech jumping out of a surround: I don't think anyone will like the change. I just think it makes no sense, and switching forms is already powerful. You get half a second where nobody can attack you, so if you keep switching back and forth between l1 and l2, the surround should eventually disappear, and you get off an attack every time you switch.

Nov 11 2009, 7:50 pm Norm Post #138

This is due to my worrying the "Death trigger" will fire because no mech units are on the arena....
Wait a sec... Why wouldn't you detect it by when the player actually has his heroes killed? Detection based on their presence in the arena is very limiting IMO...

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 11 2009, 7:59 pm by Doodan.

None.

Nov 12 2009, 12:30 am MEMEME670 Post #139

Just figured out something.

In ANY game, assuming it isnt played on #LL in some private place, fast hitters like mutant have a slight advantage in the start.

Because, mutant can cast l2 on you, and you can click away, but you wont move for a little bit, and during that little bit you'll take damage.

Something i discovered, made me think.

None.

Nov 12 2009, 5:30 am Decency Post #140

... his L2 is also delayed from when he builds it.

I don't think anyone really gains from latency, it just makes the game less about reacting and more about guessing.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 5 6 7 8 948 >
  Back to forum