Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Musical taste expansion - suggest bands/songs
Musical taste expansion - suggest bands/songs
Aug 18 2009, 4:02 am
By: JamaL
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >

Aug 19 2009, 1:14 am Corbo Post #41

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

Miley Cyrus, Hilary Duff, Lindsay Lohan, Jonas Brothers, High school musical are good too! I don't know how you people didn't mention them!

fuck you all

Aug 19 2009, 1:15 am Neki Post #42

Muse ("Supermassive Black Hole"; "Map of the Problematique"; "Feeling Good"; "Apocalypse Please")
You need some Bliss and Starlight in here, I love those songs. Though for some reason, I can't get into Coldplay, I just can't stand their song style. I think maybe it's just too slow for me, I need upbeat and catchy. That's why I like Paramore, Billy Talent and Rise Against I guess. :P

None.

Aug 19 2009, 1:20 am dumbducky Post #43

I like You Won't Know. I just think The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me is a terrible album because of crap like Welcome to Bangkok. Fortunately, I have hope that Daisy could be awesome.

tits

Aug 19 2009, 1:26 am Excalibur Post #44

The sword and the faith

As an album it doesn't stand well but that was due to the leak and how badly the band took it. Welcome To Bangkok wasn't that bad either, they could've done worse.

@Ultimo
Paramore is awesome and Hayley is SO hot. Do want. ;-;

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Aug 19 2009, 1:35 am Hug A Zergling Post #45

Quote from Excalibur
The lack of good music here is disturbing.

I also think the topic is pointless due to how music varies and musical taste with it. Example being I think things like Pink Floyd and Muse are some of the worst shit I've ever heard. Yet they're up on top of your list, so I really can't see how this topic has much of a point or purpose.
I was surprised at you Ex. I thought you would have a little bit more respect.

Quote from name:zany_001
Yeah. RAP AND POP FOR THE WIN! Akon - Put the Blame on Me, Beautiful, So Lonely.
But if ANYONE was to have disrespect for this, I'd understand.

Try listening to something a little less mainstream. Or else, before you know it, you'll be listening to a digital voice reading of the same lyrics over and over to a simple "4-4" bass beat that took 2 minutes to produce.

Oh wait, that IS what you're listening too.

None.

Aug 19 2009, 3:43 am dumbducky Post #46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYS5NtRXlZQ
Why I despise Autotune. They took a women who couldn't sing and turned it into an electronic computerized piece of crap.

tits

Aug 19 2009, 3:47 am l)ark_ssj9kevin Post #47

Just here for the activity... well not really

Quote from O)FaRTy1billion[MM]
Quote from l)ark_ssj9kevin
Stratovarius "Stratosphere" "Stratofortress" are two instrumental metal, which is awesome.
What about non-instrumentals? ;o Phoenix, Speed of Light, Tomorrow, etc.
They're awesome too, I just didn't want to yell "ANOTHER METAL BAND!"

guy lifting weight (animated smiley):

O-IC
OI-C

"Oh, I see it"

Aug 19 2009, 4:13 am Jack Post #48

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from Hug A Zergling

Yeah. RAP AND POP FOR THE WIN! Akon - Put the Blame on Me, Beautiful, So Lonely.

Try listening to something a little less mainstream. Or else, before you know it, you'll be listening to a digital voice reading of the same lyrics over and over to a simple "4-4" bass beat that took 2 minutes to produce.

Mainstream is win, I don't have complicated musical tastes. Cept maybe tchaikovsky and Dave Brubeck, Calling elijah, I dunno who else.
The akon stuff was a joke, although i listen to him for the beats, and Put the blame on me.
Do you know any good nonmainstream rap?

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Aug 19 2009, 4:21 am Kyrax Post #49

Quote from Excalibur

I also think the topic is pointless due to how music varies and musical taste with it. Example being I think things like Pink Floyd and Muse are some of the worst shit I've ever heard. Yet they're up on top of your list, so I really can't see how this topic has much of a point or purpose.

I do believe you mean 2-step....Akon/Hip-Hop/Nu-Skull Rap BS isn't '4 on the floor'... :\

None.

Aug 19 2009, 4:23 am Kyrax Post #50

Quote from dumbducky
Why I despise Autotune. They took a women who couldn't sing and turned it into an electronic computerized piece of crap.

Auto-tune should be burned!! :><:

None.

Aug 19 2009, 2:03 pm Hug A Zergling Post #51

Quote from Kyrax
Quote from Excalibur

I do believe you mean 2-step....Akon/Hip-Hop/Nu-Skull Rap BS isn't '4 on the floor'... :\

Autotune is the exact reason I hate mainstream.

Non-mainstream rap? I don't know. I don't like rap, but I have respect for Public Enemy. And 2puc.

None.

Aug 19 2009, 4:01 pm JamaL Post #52

Quote from Excalibur
All right, I've been meaning to do this for MadZombie, and as pointless as I think this topic is, lets give it a whirl:

God Tier:
Circa Survive (Act Appalled, In The Morning and Amazing, Kicking Your Crosses Down) ((Anything Anthony Green touches turns to gold.))
Glassjaw (Trailer Park Jesus, Cosmopolitan Bloodloss, The Number No Good Things Can Come Of) ((Trailer Park Jesus is the source of my signature.))
Lydia (I Woke Up Near The Sea, December, Now The One You Once Loved Is Leaving) ((Male + Female vocal blending = <3 ))

High Tier:
Brand New (Degausser, You Wont Know, Limousine) ((New album due out soon.))
Envy On The Coast (Green Eyes Don't Lie, Vultures, Tell Them That She's Not Scared) ((Wish I had more room in God Tier for them.))
Bright Eyes (Four Winds, Hit The Switch, The Calendar Hung Itself) ((I think everyone who knows this band knows how hard it is to pick 3 songs out of all the material they have, but I tried.))

Mid Tier:
Coheed & Cambria (The Crowing, In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3, Gravemakers and Gunslingers) ((Notice the lack of Welcome Home you hipster losers?))
Arctic Monkeys (Fluorescent Adolescent, Mardy Bum, Brianstorm) ((Newer addition to my library, but awesome.))
Copeland (Pin Your Wings, Brightest, No One Really Wins) ((Wish they'd make some GOOD new material.))

And I won't bother with lower tiers at this time. There you have it, nine bands with three songs each. Get to it.

Oddly enough, I've listened to everything in your high and middle tiers in the past, but have heard nothing of your 'God Tier'.

>> I have acquired and listened to Circa Survive, Glassjaw and Lydia. Their style is a little different than what I normally listen to, but I consider that a good thing... they definitely have potential. I'll keep listening.

Bright Eyes is amazing, by the way.

Quote from dumbducky

Yes -- non-mainstream is infinitely preferable.

None.

Aug 19 2009, 5:02 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #53

👻 👾 👽 💪

Stratovarius "Stratosphere" "Stratofortress" are two instrumental metal, which is awesome.
We could be like my friend and yell "POWERGLOVE!" :P Though, personally, I'm not that big of a video game music fan (though they are fun to blast sometimes).

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Aug 19 2009, 7:56 pm Hug A Zergling Post #54

We could be like my friend and yell "POWERGLOVE!" :P Though, personally, I'm not that big of a video game music fan (though they are fun to blast sometimes).
I LOVE the Powerglove. It's so bad.

None.

Aug 19 2009, 10:43 pm BiOAtK Post #55

I like some mainstream. But honestly I consider most mainstream to lose its musical and emotional purity that makes it feel like the artist truly means it. For example, I like Eminem's stuff. But I love Immortal Technique. And RATM. And stuff like the first two MCR albums and alot of my local punk/emo/screamo acts. Because they're playing for the music, not for money.

None.

Aug 20 2009, 1:28 am Hug A Zergling Post #56

Quote from BiOAtK
I like some mainstream. But honestly I consider most mainstream to lose its musical and emotional purity that makes it feel like the artist truly means it. For example, I like Eminem's stuff. But I love Immortal Technique. And RATM. And stuff like the first two MCR albums and alot of my local punk/emo/screamo acts. Because they're playing for the music, not for money.

Have you ever notice that the real emo bands are the bands that deny that they're emo? I've noticed that.

None.

Aug 20 2009, 1:32 am BiOAtK Post #57

Yeah. They say they're 'alternative' : P

None.

Aug 20 2009, 2:45 am Norm Post #58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u0G2FVEnwI
1993, Carcass practically defines Melodic Death Metal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srXXl5XslCI
1982, Iron Maiden proves they are the kings of Heavy Metal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuc-EqaZL3Y
2008, Exmortus play some FUCKING THRASH METAL!!

None.

Aug 20 2009, 5:06 am The Great Yam Post #59

Stuff I like that's atleast somewhat different from your tastes:

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five - "The Message", "White Lines"
The Sugar Hill Gang - "Rapper's Delight"
Blind Lemon Jefferson - "See That My Grave Is Kept Clean", "Black Snake Moan"
Robert Johnson - "If I Had Possession Over Judgment Day, "Crossroad Blues" "Walkin' Blues", "Hellhound On My Trail", "Me and the Devil Blues"
Skip James - "Crow Jane", "Hard Time Killing Floor Blues"
Son House - "Levee Camp Blues", "Death Letter Blues"
Cat Power - "I Don't Blame You", "Fool"
Neil Young - "Pocahontas", "Helpless", "Mellow My Mind", "Needle and the Damage Done", "Tonight's The Night", "Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)"
The Clash - "Rudie Can't Fail", "White Riot"
Wire - "I Am The Fly", "Outdoor Miner", "Dot Dash", "12xu", "Mannequin"
Primus - "Tommy the Cat", "Jerry Was A Racecar Driver"
Devo - "Whip It", "Gut Feeling/Slap Your Mammy", "Uncontrollable Urge", "Mongoloid", "Jocko Homo", "She's Just A Girl", "Secret Agent Man"

If you want to hear something different, maybe alittle weird and experimental some great bands are stuff like Wire and Devo, who frankly don't get the exposure they deserve. If you want full on weird and fucked up, look up stuff like The Residents, Larry "Wildman" Fischer, Renaldo and the Loaf, Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band and Nervous Gender.

None.

Aug 20 2009, 6:01 am Norm Post #60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOoeGsB7Apw&feature=related

1984: Mercyful Fate releases one of the greatest albums of all time.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum