Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Musical taste expansion - suggest bands/songs
Musical taste expansion - suggest bands/songs
Aug 18 2009, 4:02 am
By: JamaL
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >

Aug 18 2009, 3:15 pm MadZombie Post #21

Have you tried The killers Day and Age album? I'm going to assume you haven't because if you did you would've only had Mr Brightside as the only non day and age song and the rest WOULD be Day and Age songs.

Try "Spaceman", "Human", "neon tiger", and ...just the whole damn album. I love it.

Just pulling out random artists:
Against me! "thrash unreal"
Arctic Monkeys "when the sun goes down" "Mardy bum"
Chevelle "Red"
Chris Cornell... Anything from his solo career or back when he was in soundgarden. w/e.
Foo fighters "Everlong" Pretty obvious band
Franz Ferdinand "Take me out" "The dark of the Matinee" lololol
Immortal Technique "Obnoxious" "Dance with the devil" For all you rapping anti government types.
Jacks mannequin "Caves" "Blood shot" i think you need to be 16/heart broken to enjoy this band. Still good.
Jimmy Eat World "Pain" "Kill" "the world you love" Love his voice.
Motion city soundtrack "Everything is alright" Catchy song.
The Rasmus "Liquid" "sail away" "funeral song" Awesome voice, sadly so far those are the only songs they made that are good. I haven't checked for new albums in like 2 years though.

Got like 4-5 more but ill save em for later i guess.
INB4 Ex says "Brandnew, Envy, and brighteyes"

None.

Aug 18 2009, 3:18 pm Norm Post #22

No Mention of Iron Maiden?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 18 2009, 3:58 pm by JaFF. Reason: No insults pliz.

None.

Aug 18 2009, 3:19 pm MadZombie Post #23

Quote from Norm
5 people are gonna go "SHIT I FORGET ABOUT THEM LOL!"

People have so many bands they want to name or list that they forget other bands, I'm sure.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 18 2009, 3:59 pm by JaFF.

None.

Aug 18 2009, 4:23 pm l)ark_ssj9kevin Post #24

Just here for the activity... well not really

Stratovarius "Stratosphere" "Stratofortress" are two instrumental metal, which is awesome.

guy lifting weight (animated smiley):

O-IC
OI-C

"Oh, I see it"

Aug 18 2009, 4:24 pm Norm Post #25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm9UbKEN4vw

A classic from 1995, one of the best years for music.

None.

Aug 18 2009, 4:33 pm Hug A Zergling Post #26

Here's a genre not many people have heard of: Shoegazing. Alternative rock that uses a lot of distortion. Don't knock it until you try it:

My Bloody Valentine - Only Shallow
My Bloody Valentine - When You Sleep
Mellonta Tauta - Dawn

None.

Aug 18 2009, 9:23 pm Kyrax Post #27

Quote from JamaL

Interesting, to say the least.

Hardstep is the name of that genre. Its a sub-genre of Drum and Bass, which stems from Jungle. All, are a genre of Electronic Dance Music..I could post more if you'd like.. :D

None.

Aug 18 2009, 9:29 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #28

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from l)ark_ssj9kevin
Stratovarius "Stratosphere" "Stratofortress" are two instrumental metal, which is awesome.
What about non-instrumentals? ;o Phoenix, Speed of Light, Tomorrow, etc.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Aug 18 2009, 9:37 pm JamaL Post #29

Quote from MadZombie
Have you tried The killers Day and Age album? I'm going to assume you haven't because if you did you would've only had Mr Brightside as the only non day and age song and the rest WOULD be Day and Age songs.

Try "Spaceman", "Human", "neon tiger", and ...just the whole damn album. I love it.

Just pulling out random artists:
Against me! "thrash unreal"
Arctic Monkeys "when the sun goes down" "Mardy bum"
Chevelle "Red"
Chris Cornell... Anything from his solo career or back when he was in soundgarden. w/e.
Foo fighters "Everlong" Pretty obvious band
Franz Ferdinand "Take me out" "The dark of the Matinee" lololol
Immortal Technique "Obnoxious" "Dance with the devil" For all you rapping anti government types.
Jacks mannequin "Caves" "Blood shot" i think you need to be 16/heart broken to enjoy this band. Still good.
Jimmy Eat World "Pain" "Kill" "the world you love" Love his voice.
Motion city soundtrack "Everything is alright" Catchy song.
The Rasmus "Liquid" "sail away" "funeral song" Awesome voice, sadly so far those are the only songs they made that are good. I haven't checked for new albums in like 2 years though.

Got like 4-5 more but ill save em for later i guess.

I love Day & Age, I was just playing to a wider audience -- most people don't like it as far as I know.

I have also (in the past) listened to everything else you suggested... most of the songs are good.

Quote from Norm

I'm not overly fond, but some of their material is good.

Quote from Norm

Awesome.

None.

Aug 18 2009, 10:13 pm Kyrax Post #30

Quote from Norm

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that statement: Sheep - Pink Floyd

None.

Aug 18 2009, 11:23 pm Excalibur Post #31

The sword and the faith

The lack of good music here is disturbing.

I also think the topic is pointless due to how music varies and musical taste with it. Example being I think things like Pink Floyd and Muse are some of the worst shit I've ever heard. Yet they're up on top of your list, so I really can't see how this topic has much of a point or purpose.

Brand New, Envy, and especially Bright Eyes deserve more mention than any band I've seen thus far. Inafter Madzombie ignores some of the best music currently being made.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Aug 19 2009, 12:02 am MadZombie Post #32

Quote from Excalibur

I also think the topic is pointless due to how music varies and musical taste with it. Example being I think things like Pink Floyd and Muse are some of the worst shit I've ever heard. Yet they're up on top of your list, so I really can't see how this topic has much of a point or purpose.

Brand New, Envy, and especially Bright Eyes deserve more mention than any band I've seen thus far. Inafter Madzombie ignores some of the best music currently being made.
I hope you didn't take it as "BRANDNEW ENVY AND BRIGHT EYES SUUUCK." I was saying that I knew you were going to say them. they are one of my favorite bands. I was actually looking forward to your suggestions since i asked you about it before but I never got around to reminding you about it. post sum nao?

None.

Aug 19 2009, 12:34 am Excalibur Post #33

The sword and the faith

All right, I've been meaning to do this for MadZombie, and as pointless as I think this topic is, lets give it a whirl:

God Tier:
Circa Survive (Act Appalled, In The Morning and Amazing, Kicking Your Crosses Down) ((Anything Anthony Green touches turns to gold.))
Glassjaw (Trailer Park Jesus, Cosmopolitan Bloodloss, The Number No Good Things Can Come Of) ((Trailer Park Jesus is the source of my signature.))
Lydia (I Woke Up Near The Sea, December, Now The One You Once Loved Is Leaving) ((Male + Female vocal blending = <3 ))

High Tier:
Brand New (Degausser, You Wont Know, Limousine) ((New album due out soon.))
Envy On The Coast (Green Eyes Don't Lie, Vultures, Tell Them That She's Not Scared) ((Wish I had more room in God Tier for them.))
Bright Eyes (Four Winds, Hit The Switch, The Calendar Hung Itself) ((I think everyone who knows this band knows how hard it is to pick 3 songs out of all the material they have, but I tried.))

Mid Tier:
Coheed & Cambria (The Crowing, In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3, Gravemakers and Gunslingers) ((Notice the lack of Welcome Home you hipster losers?))
Arctic Monkeys (Fluorescent Adolescent, Mardy Bum, Brianstorm) ((Newer addition to my library, but awesome.))
Copeland (Pin Your Wings, Brightest, No One Really Wins) ((Wish they'd make some GOOD new material.))

And I won't bother with lower tiers at this time. There you have it, nine bands with three songs each. Get to it.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 19 2009, 12:41 am by Excalibur.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Aug 19 2009, 12:36 am Kyrax Post #34

Quote from Excalibur

"Best music" is highly subjective to the perceptions of the individual... :ermm:

None.

Aug 19 2009, 12:38 am Excalibur Post #35

The sword and the faith

Quote from Kyrax
Quote from Excalibur

"Best music" is highly subjective to the perceptions of the individual... :ermm:
Exactly why I think this topic is dependent on too many assumptions to be useful.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Aug 19 2009, 12:39 am Jack Post #36

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Yeah. RAP AND POP FOR THE WIN! Akon - Put the Blame on Me, Beautiful, So Lonely.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Aug 19 2009, 12:54 am dumbducky Post #37

Streetlight Manifesto (and one more)

Four Year Strong

Set Your Goals

All awesome.

EDIT:
Brand New (Degausser, You Wont Know, Limousine) ((New album due out soon.))
Degausser is too long, and that goes double for Limousine. It should read Brand New (Jude Law and a Semester Abroad, Sic Transit Gloria, Jesus Christ)

I forgot BOTAR!

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 19 2009, 1:00 am by dumbducky.

tits

Aug 19 2009, 12:55 am Excalibur Post #38

The sword and the faith

Actually these are three bands I know of to be exceedingly average. =/ Well, at least SYG and 4YS.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 19 2009, 1:01 am by Excalibur.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Aug 19 2009, 1:01 am dumbducky Post #39

Quote from Excalibur

Actually these are three bands I know of to be exceedingly averageAwesome. =/
Fixed that for you.

tits

Aug 19 2009, 1:03 am Excalibur Post #40

The sword and the faith

There is nothing worthwhile about BN's earlier material in comparison to the newer. I like their older material, but it simply does not compare. I have yet to find any song by anyone 'too long'. =/

If you've seen any video of You Wont Know done live, you know it deserves to be up there more than any other BN song.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum