Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: RE: .WAV Files
RE: .WAV Files
Jan 14 2009, 8:34 pm
By: Heinermann
Pages: < 1 2 3

Jan 20 2009, 5:10 am Kellimus Post #41

Quote from poiuy_qwert
It doesn't have to put the exact word in the definition. It doesn't say anything in the definition about compression algorithms, so i guess then Compression Algorithms != Compressing Data? It doesn't say anything about Run-Length Encoding, so that must not be compression either!

Deleting data makes the file smaller, which IS in the definition.

Alright, go hexedit the starcraft.exe file and 'compress' it by the means he does, and tell me if it still works.

None.

Jan 20 2009, 5:15 am poiuy_qwert Post #42

PyMS and ProTRG developer

I wouldn't be able to do that successfully because its an executable file, which is a totally different story then a WAV... Obviously Heinermanns compression wont work on every case, some files don't have excess data that you can just delete with no consequences.

Jan 20 2009, 5:22 am Kellimus Post #43

Quote from poiuy_qwert
I wouldn't be able to do that successfully because its an executable file, which is a totally different story then a WAV... Obviously Heinermanns compression wont work on every case, some files don't have excess data that you can just delete with no consequences.

Then how can you call it 'compression' if it 'doesn't work on every case' and compression is supposedly 'always' supposed to work?

None.

Jan 20 2009, 5:40 am poiuy_qwert Post #44

Compression doesn't always just work... There are specific algorithms for specific things. You wouldn't go around putting JPEG's compression on EXE's...

Jan 20 2009, 6:48 am Kellimus Post #45

Quote from poiuy_qwert
Compression doesn't always just work... There are specific algorithms for specific things. You wouldn't go around putting JPEG's compression on EXE's...

Okay, even you stated there are certain Algorithms for compression and Erasing Data != an Algorithm

None.

Jan 20 2009, 7:06 am poiuy_qwert Post #46

Do you even know what an algorithm is? Algorithm Definition: A step-by-step problem-solving procedure, especially an established, recursive computational procedure for solving a problem in a finite number of steps.
If erasing data is one of those steps then it is an algorithm.

Anyways, what I actually meant to get across in that sentence was there are different ways of doing the compression for different things, i just used "algorithms" without the intention you thought.

Jan 20 2009, 10:03 pm Syphon Post #47

Quote from Kellimus
Quote from poiuy_qwert
Okay, even you stated there are certain Algorithms for compression and Erasing Data != an Algorithm
Yes, it is. Why don't you just quit while you're behind? (See the previous post.)
Quote from Kellimus
Quote from Syphon
You're aware that you're trying to argue that /I'm/ the one who never admits they're wrong, when you're in a thread where you argue that you can't compress .wav files?
Uh, care to go through and point out where I said, "one cannot compress .WAV files"??

Keep putting words in peoples' mouths, its what you do best :)
".WAVs because they're uncompressed and the highest quality sound you can get."

If, in your world, you allowed the possibility of a .WAV being compressed, it would violate your fundamental definition of them as an uncompressed file, ipso facto, you said that .WAV files can't be compressed.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jan 20 2009, 11:26 pm by Mini Moose 2707. Reason: Flaming

None.

Jan 20 2009, 11:01 pm Kellimus Post #48

Quote from Syphon
Quote from Kellimus
Quote from poiuy_qwert

Yes, it is. Why don't you just quit while you're behind? (See the previous post.)

Quote from Kellimus
Quote from Syphon
You're aware that you're trying to argue that /I'm/ the one who never admits they're wrong, when you're in a thread where you argue that you can't compress .wav files?

Uh, care to go through and point out where I said, "one cannot compress .WAV files"??

If, in your world, you allowed the possibility of a .WAV being compressed, it would violate your fundamental definition of them as an uncompressed file, ipso facto, you said that .WAV files can't be compressed.

You're an idiot.

You didn't quote where I said it Syphon, you're still putting words in my mouth.

I said a compressed version of .WAV files are.mp3 files.

I'm still waiting for you to quote where I said you cannot compress .WAV files.

None.

Jan 20 2009, 11:59 pm Corbo Post #49

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

.wav and .mp3 are completely different formats. One is not a compression of the other one.
Otherwise you could just say that any format, and even midi, is a compression of .wav. Don't be silly.

fuck you all

Jan 21 2009, 1:16 am Syphon Post #50

Quote from Kellimus
Quote from Syphon
Quote from Kellimus
Quote from poiuy_qwert

Quote from Kellimus
Quote from Syphon

You're an idiot.

You didn't quote where I said it Syphon, you're still putting words in my mouth.

I said a compressed version of .WAV files are.mp3 files.

I'm still waiting for you to quote where I said you cannot compress .WAV files.

"".WAVs because they're uncompressed and the highest quality sound you can get.""

Yes. I. Did.

None.

Jan 21 2009, 1:40 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #51

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from Corbo
.wav and .mp3 are completely different formats. One is not a compression of the other one.
Otherwise you could just say that any format, and even midi, is a compression of .wav. Don't be silly.
mp3 is a codec for PCM data, so technically mp3 indeed isn't compressed wav. However MIDI is different entirely...

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 21 2009, 3:19 am by FaRTy1billion.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3
  Back to forum