Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Production > Topic: Synergy of Heroes
Synergy of Heroes
Nov 19 2008, 12:04 pm
By: MetalGear
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >

Nov 20 2008, 6:59 am Riney Post #21

Thigh high affectionado

Quote from stickynote
I disagree that DotA is boring. I also doubt that the majority of the starcraft community truly hates DotA; rather they haven't really played it before. Temple Siege has gained quite a bit of popularity, but it is shockingly similar to DotA.

You can capture bases in DotA? OH MY

And btw sticky before you talk a bout sen as a whole, we do hate DotA, why do you think we PLAY temple siege?

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

-- Updated as of December 2021 --

Nov 20 2008, 12:59 pm MetalGear Post #22

Calling it DotA essentially sets you up for failure, not to mention that there aren't any Ancients in StarCraft...
Rename the project and map.
I have to agree that you should definately change the name of the map.
Just change the name to ANYTHING that's not already taken.
i guess im going to have to change the name of it lol. thanks.
Time Travel: Moves you back 5 seconds in time - How the hell are you doing this...?
i will use 5 locations for this and a death timer. each location follows the unit according to the 5 second timer. i just need to move the unit back to the location that was triggered to follow the hero 5 seconds ago. easy.
As for being too newb to play DotA, please; don't try to insult me.
its not an insult. im just saying there is a lot of skill to dota and it takes a long time to master.
You absolutely must have the heal at the base.
yeh i have a heal at the base. it just takes time to walk back you know. i could still use the instant heal system in the condition that there are no nearby enemy heroes, so players can only heal away from battle. i still think walking back to the fountain every time you get low hp is too frustating.
And the heroes are all too similar.
what?? they are pretty unique if you ask me. i know they all have a heal ability and 2 spells are shared, however apart from that each hero has unique spells. there are a total of 17 spells. also, the heroes all gain different mana statistics.
10 is the absolute minimum to the number of heroes; any less, and the games will be basically the same.
yeh thats a good point i guess. although the reason im only using 6 heroes is so that they are all totaly unique, and im out of effective spell ideas. hopefully the gameplay will be good enough to pull off the 6 heroes. i can always add more down the track anyway.
For you spell casting system, honestly, the observer system is not going to be fun to play with.
yeh im going to have to take your advice here. i guess the dropship system is easier and its idiot proof.
-Dropship system: fast and reliable.
working on it :)
we do hate DotA
ok i get the point. then dont play my map. if the topic doesnt interest you, im sorry about that.

None.

Nov 20 2008, 1:54 pm Pigy_G Post #23

Time Travel: Moves you back 5 seconds in time

How will this work? Are you just going to ally the enemy playesr and let the player move at his will or what?

None.

Nov 20 2008, 4:33 pm MetalGear Post #24

i just explained it in my previous post. it works by a number of locations that constantly track the unit and uses a couple of death counters to time the moving of the locations and to assess which location is 5 seconds in the past. its really quite easy.

Update: Edited characters.
Update: Added more character information.
Update: Changed spellcasting system.

None.

Nov 20 2008, 5:10 pm Biophysicist Post #25

You still need more spells. Some suggestions:

1. Invulnerability Sphere: You get a Science Vessel to cast Defensive Matrix.
2. Banishment: Teleports target hero away from your hero.
3. Binding: Target is surrounded by invulnerable Lurker Eggs
4. Liftoff: Spawns a Dropship/Shuttle/Overlord.
5. Overshield: Creates a Bunker. Only useful if one of your characters is a Terran Infantry unit.
6. Time Distruption: All nearby units are slowed and have their mana regeneration slowed.

You can look at my map for more suggestions. Click the image in my sig for the thread.

None.

Nov 20 2008, 6:19 pm MetalGear Post #26

17 spells is not enough?? how many do i need?

None.

Nov 20 2008, 6:28 pm Pigy_G Post #27

4-5+ Per hero.

None.

Nov 20 2008, 7:43 pm Impeached Post #28

As for Temple Siege being the best AoS, that's only true until some one makes a better map.
That's only true as long as someone thinks Temple Siege is best. I don't.

I like Great Wizards better than any other AoS.

None.

Nov 20 2008, 8:02 pm Lord Malvanis Post #29

DotA ruined Warcraft III, I do not support this at all, I think the map is a horrible idea. Flaming or not, this is the truth!

None.

Nov 20 2008, 8:09 pm MetalGear Post #30

guys im not too far off finishing and im going to need testers soon. any help appreciated. thanks.

also, quick question. i have a number of sound effects for the spells and vaious game situations. however, they take up 1mb and will make the map a fairly heavy download. considering i want the map to gain popularity, are the sound effects a good or bad idea? the sounds add so much life to the map. however i dont know if people will have the patience to download it online.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 20 2008, 9:04 pm by Doodan. Reason: removing responses to flaming

None.

Nov 20 2008, 8:29 pm Biophysicist Post #31

How long does it take to dl? If it takes ten seconds, I say go for it. If it takes like 30 seconds though, then you should try to make it smaller. Using virtual sounds whenever possible is a good idea. I also think there is a way to compress sounds, anyone have a link?

@Malvanis: This isn't the first "Starcraft DotA". Ever heard of Temple Siege? Even if DotA was bad (I don't think it was but w/e) that doesn't have anything to do with this map. He already said he's going to change the name as well, I think.

None.

Nov 20 2008, 11:23 pm MetalGear Post #32

it would take at least 30 seconds to download, probably more. maybe i should release 2 versions, 1 with sounds and the other without? im not sure how succesful this distribution style is though.

None.

Nov 20 2008, 11:29 pm stickynote Post #33

Quote from name:Dark_Marine
Quote from stickynote
I disagree that DotA is boring. I also doubt that the majority of the starcraft community truly hates DotA; rather they haven't really played it before. Temple Siege has gained quite a bit of popularity, but it is shockingly similar to DotA.

You can capture bases in DotA? OH MY

And btw sticky before you talk a bout sen as a whole, we do hate DotA, why do you think we PLAY temple siege?

I wasn't just refering to SEN; I was refering to the entire starcraft community. If you like Temple Siege better, I don't have any problems with that, I like temple siege too. And, it is extremely similar to DotA. In my opinion, the newer DotAs are not that good. The old DotA maps from reign of chaos are better and although there are less heroes, each hero is much more unique. You can't capture bases in DotA, but most of the time, I don't see anybody actually capturing those bases in Temple Siege till it's near the end of the game. In DotA, if you've destroyed some of the opposing team's buildings, than your spawn gets stronger. Not quite the same, but a similar concept: overwhelm the other base.

Quote from MetalGear

Enough so that each hero is completely different. Even 2 similar spells is too homogeneous.

Quote from Impeached
As for Temple Siege being the best AoS, that's only true until some one makes a better map.
That's only true as long as someone thinks Temple Siege is best. I don't.

I like Great Wizards better than any other AoS.

That's true; Great Wizards has so much variety; although everybody has the same hero, the large amount of spells that can be chosen makes each game unique. (I believe there are 25 spells?)

I also like custom hero wars, although it's not really an AoS, the concept of allowing the players to choose their own spells adds variety to the games.

None.

Nov 20 2008, 11:38 pm Biophysicist Post #34

I can help you with spell ideas if you want.

None.

Nov 21 2008, 12:24 am UnholyUrine Post #35

Looks like another good AoS map. It doesn't matter if there's only 6 heroes, as long as they're all unique. I also don't mind if there're 2 same spells for each hero. That's fine also as long as you have ~3-6 spells that are unique.

But from what I'm reading.. there's only 3 spells per hero... That's okay if the spells play together to make the character's niche. However, I see too many teleportation spells... And the Suicide 'may' work if there's no lives counter.
I also don't see any spells that are geared against spawns or "creeps" in wc dota
and yeah, don't call it Dota... Call it something else

For this map to be popular, you'd have to make it way more interesting than this, the heroes need to be more diverge. They're all about the same from reading ur post (However, i've never played it so I may be wrong)

I HIGHLY suggest you go play Temple Siege or read the Battle of Breach post. Temple Siege will help you see what I mean by "diverged" heroes. Each hero has their own spell set, like Assault gets a dropship, and Light mage gets high dmg spells, and dark mage gets curses. (btw.. i wanna see greatwizards =o) It also sets the standard for the spell effects that ppl are used to now (in your face greatwizards haa.. wait i havent' played it yet).

Battle of Breach will probably be crazier than my map with its 22(!) heroes (I finally read the thread haha) The ideas there are all very good. You should look at that thread for more ideas.

As for some other things. you said when a person casts a spell when it's cooling down, you'd tell him the exact second until the cooldown timer is gone. That might take all ur strings away. You should do tha last.

And I'd love to test the map =D. If you did those cooldown triggers, your triggers ought to be solid and more neat than mine.

None.

Nov 21 2008, 12:35 am MetalGear Post #36

Temple Siege has gained quite a bit of popularity, but it is shockingly similar to DotA.
ive never played this map. i will have to check it out and see my competition. im pretty sure i can beat anything.
Enough so that each hero is completely different.
each hero has totaly unique spells now, and though there are just 3 spells for each hero, they are quite spammable. i think too many spells would be too confusing anyway. quality over quantity in my opinion.
I can help you with spell ideas if you want.
thanks but im happy with my current list of spells. they have a short cooldown, ranging between 5 and 15 seconds, so players can frequently use them, meaning plenty of fun and definately resulting in a battle that involves teamwork, good timing and skill.

oh and guys, please check out the PLAYABLE DEMO! lol a bit excited there. it shows you the tutorial system, the basics of the spell system and the layout of the bases. have fun :)

None.

Nov 21 2008, 12:45 am Biophysicist Post #37

You really need four spells for each hero, especially if you only have six heroes.

None.

Nov 21 2008, 1:16 am stickynote Post #38

It also sets the standard for the spell effects that ppl are used to now (in your face greatwizards haa.. wait i havent' played it yet).

Great Wizards was made before Temple Siege was popular. (And I'm pretty sure ws-Tank 7 didn't know about Temple Siege when he made the map)

None.

Nov 21 2008, 2:15 am UnholyUrine Post #39

K I just took the time to play Great Wizards, and It was Great! The spell upgrades are good. I owned with Ice wall + Blizzard.. or use Pit Lord, then Ice wall.. I have to say, ice wall is rigged lol. I just realllllly hate how we're all tassadars. I mean, we move so sloowww.. it takes a lot of the fun out. But it was fun experimenting with the spells. However, he definately used a lot of units for the spells, kind of a waste in my opinion.

back to this .. I still feel a bit more spells are required. since sm are repeated anyway. again, u should see other maps :P. GreatWizards is pretty good, u ought to see that too lol. I'll play this when this is done or close to done or if u want me to test or when i'm not busy XP

None.

Nov 21 2008, 2:20 am MetalGear Post #40

I see too many teleportation spells
all of the heroes have at least 1 teleport spell so they can hunt down enemies easier. however, all of the teleport spells are entirely unique from each other, and all are good for various situations and use different cooldowns. ive tried my best to structure the spells for each hero so they can all succesfully hunt down, deal good damage and escape. however the escape spells can sometimes be countered by the hunting spells according to the situation.
the Suicide 'may' work if there's no lives counter
dont worry i really know what im doing in the trigger area.
As for some other things. you said when a person casts a spell when it's cooling down, you'd tell him the exact second until the cooldown timer is gone. That might take all ur strings away. You should do that last
And I'd love to test the map =D. If you did those cooldown triggers, your triggers ought to be solid and more neat than mine.
only 60 triggers +2 triggers for the timer resulting in 60 text display strings and 13 comment strings. string limit is not an issue for me in this map. oh and yes my triggers are pretty tight :)
You really need four spells for each hero, especially if you only have six heroes
hmm i will think about it.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum