Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Production > Topic: Synergy of Heroes
Synergy of Heroes
Nov 19 2008, 12:04 pm
By: MetalGear
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >

Nov 21 2008, 2:32 am Impeached Post #41

I have to say, ice wall is rigged lol
You can cast invisibility while it's on to avoid damage, or use teleport to get away.

None.

Nov 21 2008, 4:23 am zevs Post #42

256x256.... very big for multiplayer :crazy:

None.

Nov 21 2008, 5:47 am Kaias Post #43

Quote from name:TassadarZeratul
Quote from name:FaZ-
Time Travel: Moves you back 5 seconds in time
How the hell are you doing this...?

Kaias (I think) once had a system that teleported a player (and everything else in the map) back 5 seconds, so it's possible. It actually wouldn't be that hard for just one unit.
It didn't just instantly revert the state to how it was 5 seconds previously, it made the entire map go in reverse for 5 seconds. Unless the entire map is centered around time, I wouldn't suggest it. This spell, however is only teleporting the unit back to where it was 5 seconds ago, which is, in fact, the same thing as my Revoke spell.

None.

Nov 21 2008, 11:08 am Biophysicist Post #44

That's what I meant, that it's like Revoke.

Btw MetalGear, feel free to look at my map for spell ideas.

None.

Nov 21 2008, 7:58 pm Jack Post #45

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

also, quick question. i have a number of sound effects for the spells and vaious game situations. however, they take up 1mb and will make the map a fairly heavy download. considering i want the map to gain popularity, are the sound effects a good or bad idea? the sounds add so much life to the map. however i dont know if people will have the patience to download it online.

Compressing WAVs
Sizeless sounds (doesnt use custom sounds tho so not as useful)

hope that helped.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Nov 21 2008, 8:34 pm MadZombie Post #46

Quote from MetalGear
You really need four spells for each hero, especially if you only have six heroes
hmm i will think about it.
NOooo, its something that NEEDS to be done. The more spells the higher re-playability the map will have.

None.

Nov 22 2008, 5:30 am MetalGear Post #47

i just had a go at temple siege. plenty of skill involved and the spells are fun. i feel some of the spells are a bit unbalanced, and for some reason i always feel lost lol? anyway gj map producer. also played great wizards. was given a personal tour by the host. a map with so much potential and good ideas. unfortunately though, the gameplay is too slow, which is why it failed in my opinion. both of these AoS maps are really good designs. i feel however each of them are slightly lacking in different areas. it was a help playing these maps, as i can appreciate their qualities, and at the same time i can avoid the fails.

256x256.... very big for multiplayer
the majority of the map is not used. i originaly made the map to this size because of the old spellcasting system. since i replaced it though, i may resize the map at a later stage.

thanks for the links zany_001. im going to try and get away with the high quality sounds first. if not then i can use that compression format to reduce the files by 64%.

The more spells the higher re-playability
i think i can actually get away with the 3 spells (+a heal ability) as they are pretty tight, effective and spammable. i think i can make it re-playable enough through the quality of the gameplay and the way the heroes work together, as the spells are all designed for teamwork.

QUESTION: guys im thinking of implementing various game modes. the first mode is standard. the second mode instantly gets you to highest level so you can start hero killing straight away, or a maybe a game mode that just speeds the game up so you can level faster and gain more gold so you can upgrade more frequently. ideas on this?

None.

Nov 22 2008, 6:28 am ClansAreForGays Post #48

Using the minimap is a big deal. I probably wouldn't have gone out of my way to make a topic for temple siege if it didn't. When a map is 256x256 players can't use the minimap effectively(you can forget about summoner macro).

Nov 22 2008, 2:37 pm Riney Post #49

Thigh high affectionado

The minimap makes tracking your enemies fun! (And the reason SC will never ever need a form of radar system)

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

-- Updated as of December 2021 --

Nov 22 2008, 9:26 pm MetalGear Post #50

okay i will definately consider resizing the map then. at the moment im working on the spells. so far, 30% complete. its taking me a long time because i am triggering this so that the spells work around each other, so there are no glitches and making gameplay more effective. in other words, im allowing for the spells to be combined instead of being overwritten by the following spell. each of my spell triggers has about 20 lines of code lol hard work!

None.

Nov 24 2008, 12:17 am Biophysicist Post #51

20 lines is nothing per spell is nothing, you should look at Build-A-Ship Workshop. There's almost over 9000 lines just in the code for the first three buildings and the damage routine.

So anyway, had any spell ideas yet?

None.

Nov 24 2008, 4:28 am Jack Post #52

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

For the different game modes, the second idea for faster levelling would be best I think, because it becomes just an arena game if you start at max.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Nov 24 2008, 4:30 am MetalGear Post #53

yeh some of my triggers are reaching 40 lines of code now. overall 13000 lines of code and i still have 7 more players to script.

yeh i had the coolest idea for a hero. how about a tank that does normal damage in tank mode and insane damage in siege mode. his weakness is that he has extremely low hit points and is vulnerable to stun/silence spells. however, he has 2 spells that work together really nicely to avoid him getting damaged. whenever an enemy hero gets in range of him, a location remembers their position at that point. if the attacker gets too close to him, he can teleport to that position, and once again, send the location back to their current position. this spell recovers every 5 seconds, and if attacked in this time, he can use an evasion spell until his teleport spell recovers again. so the idea is, he is hard to get near as he just teleports away and obviously has the advantage of the attack range. and if an enemy does get close he can use his evasion spell. im still thinking of a third ability for him.

hows ur map going anyway? im nearly finied mine :) if i see you online later you can help me test it if you like?

None.

Nov 24 2008, 5:21 am UnholyUrine Post #54

20 lines is nothing per spell is nothing, you should look at Build-A-Ship Workshop. There's almost over 9000 lines just in the code for the first three buildings and the damage routine.

*sigh* I don't know whether to laugh or feel ashamed. .. I maximum use 10 triggers per spell for Temple Siege.. they usually are about 3 trigs. I dunno what u mean by lines.. u mean condition n action? .. then yeah there's a lot of lines.. right u guys are scripting triggers... not .. starediting triggers lol XD

None.

Nov 24 2008, 4:33 pm MetalGear Post #55

my map is getting pretty heavy now @ 25000 lines of code, and about another 15000 to go. its already 233kb just the triggers alone, so im hesitating to add the sounds in. and OMG im so excited to release this! i just tested the gameplay and its insanely good. some of the spells will make you go WOW! *jumps up in air*

None.

Nov 24 2008, 8:00 pm Kaias Post #56

The new map name is much preferred.

None.

Nov 24 2008, 8:45 pm MadZombie Post #57

Quote from MetalGear
my map is getting pretty heavy now @ 25000 lines of code, and about another 15000 to go. its already 233kb just the triggers alone, so im hesitating to add the sounds in. and OMG im so excited to release this! i just tested the gameplay and its insanely good. some of the spells will make you go WOW! *jumps up in air*
We will be the judge of that :ego:.

None.

Nov 25 2008, 12:24 am stickynote Post #58

Nice try changing the name, but I still don't like the name. To put it bluntly, it sounds lame. But keep trying, you might get something that sounds good.

None.

Nov 25 2008, 6:24 pm MetalGear Post #59

the map is finished at around 40000 lines of coding :) also i have tested it and despite the heavy download, people are in love with it already! im currently working on a new version though because im replacing phantom as he was useless. his relacement hero will be loads of fun. will submit the final version in about 12 hours or so.

None.

Nov 25 2008, 8:39 pm Oyen Post #60

Heh, sounds promising! Can't wait to play it! :D

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum