Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Discussion > Topic: Orid Ibanna Tileset
Orid Ibanna Tileset
Jun 23 2008, 9:48 pm
By: Polaris  

Jun 24 2008, 7:55 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #21

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from Corbo
You could make it, like farty did. To turn shadows into the sky blue so the shadow doesn't look on the sky blue itself but it looks on the clouds and it projects a colored shadow which is more realistic because shadows are never really black :P
It's not really turning the shadow sky-blue, I was editing the shadow color on specific colors. Like player colors don't show shadows, white shows black, and black shows white. That's what I did. For sky you would make it so ONLY the sky color does that. Or, if you wanted, you could make it so the various cloud colors have different shadow intensities. :D You'd probably want to do what I suggested about using other repaletting tables for shadows so FoW isn't effected in that little ring... unless you don't care about that ring.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Jun 24 2008, 8:38 pm Polaris Post #22

Thanks farty!

Now shadows only appear over objects:

If anything cool is ever going on Skype me up under the name "blarghle"

Jun 24 2008, 8:56 pm Corbo Post #23

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

Now the only problem is that on closer clouds the shadow should not be the same size as in farther clouds :P

fuck you all

Jun 24 2008, 9:08 pm Polaris Post #24

Quote from Corbo
Now the only problem is that on closer clouds the shadow should not be the same size as in farther clouds :P
Yeah, well, its either no shadows; or shadows on clouds, no matter the distance. Take your pick. :P

Jun 24 2008, 9:10 pm HailFire Post #25

Quote from Polaris
Quote from Corbo
Yeah, well, its either no shadows; or shadows on clouds, no matter the distance. Take your pick. :P

Epic realism can wait for 2.0. :P

None.

Jun 24 2008, 10:02 pm Symmetry Post #26

Dungeon Master

That's sweet. Nice.

Now change the buildings shadows so it actually looks like they're floating.

:voy: :jaff: :voy: :jaff:

Jun 24 2008, 10:03 pm Corbo Post #27

Quote from Polaris
Quote from Corbo

Then no shadows! I'd rather just think they're sooooo far that the shadow they project is a dot so little that you don't see it.

fuck you all

Jun 24 2008, 11:51 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #28

👻 👾 👽 💪

Perhaps all the clouds just happen to be at the exact same altitude distance from whatever is above them. >.>

EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Jun 24 2008, 11:54 pm Polaris Post #29

Quote from Corbo
Then no shadows! I'd rather just think they're sooooo far that the shadow they project is a dot so little that you don't see it.
Too bad. :P

Anyway, I am starting to make an outline of the mod.

There are going to be 2 races:
The Solarians, who are an odd species of human, having exceptionally more powerful brains. They owned Orid Ibanna long before the normal humans invaded.

And the Pegasus Legion; a legion from the Royal Navy of the Empire of Man consisting of a hella lot of ships sent to secure Orid Ibanna from the Solarians.

Anyway, this is only the thread for the Tileset, I'm afraid I cannot tell you anymore of the mod. :P You'll get to see it all you want when I release it.

Jun 27 2008, 4:58 pm Polaris Post #30

Actually, now that I think about it, I might just remove shadows. The first reason is that shadows can go in any direction in space, up, down, right, whatever. So in the mod you could think that a star was "under" the battlefield, projecting shadows "up." Second, corbo does have a point. The shadows wouldn't look too good on far away clouds, giving the illusion that all clouds are at the same level. (Which, they really are, it is a 2D game, but still...)

Anyway, I think I am just going to remove them. It will be easier, and get rid of a lot of visual and perspective problems that the mod would have if it did use shadows. Look on the bright side: Every shadow is now an unused images.dat entry!

Jun 27 2008, 7:01 pm Corbo Post #31

Faaaarty! we should do this, so many unused entries!

Other than that, thank you sir.

fuck you all

Jun 27 2008, 8:41 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #32

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from Corbo
Faaaarty! we should do this, so many unused entries!
There already are massive amounts of unused entries. ;) I already found a goldmine that I used for the superunit (and could fit in several more of these.)

Jun 27 2008, 9:23 pm Lord Agamemnon Post #33

Magical-Girl Enabler

Quote from Polaris
The Solarians, who are an odd species of human, having exceptionally more powerful brains. They owned Orid Ibanna long before the normal humans invaded.

Read Asimov much? :P
specifically, Foundation and Earth?

None.

Jun 27 2008, 9:51 pm Corbo Post #34

Now that LA shows up, this should have been a cool AA expansion pack set or something like it. Or a special map on AA.

LA, you should totally make new maps involving new tilesets, which means new things like this >> :P

fuck you all

Jun 28 2008, 12:49 am Polaris Post #35

Quote from Lord Agamemnon
Quote from Polaris

Read Asimov much? :P
specifically, Foundation and Earth?
Actually, no, I don't. I came up with that on my own, using the name "Solari" that I found somewhere on the internet some time ago. Why, what is so similar? The name, or the description?

Jun 28 2008, 9:56 pm Fisty Post #36

It's almost identical, I've read a good part of the first book. Solarians are the inhabitants of Solaris, a Spacer-owned planet. Spacers are basically a mentally superior derivative of the human race.

None.

Jun 28 2008, 10:49 pm Polaris Post #37

Oh wow. Thats really identical. =/
Do I win a prize for thinking almost exactly the same as Issac Asimov?

*changes race*

Jun 30 2008, 12:15 am Polaris Post #38

Hey, I just thought of a cool way you guys could help me:

What I need, is for you to make your own doodad for the Tileset. If its good, I will use it, if its not, well, I'll put it in, and maybe someone can use it in a map if your are lucky :P. The main reason I am doing this is that I have actually started on the mod, thus, I do not have the time to really work on doodads for the tileset any longer. So, here are some things that I could use:
* More clouds; medium to large sized clouds, to be exact.
* Large Asteroids
* Space junk
* Anything else that you guys think would be cool.

All I want is just the picture of the full doodad, (as in, your image doesn't have to be 512x32, it can be whatever size) I can divide it up and get it ingame myself.

And to get some more help, I will credit you in the readme if you help me out with this!

Anyway, thanks in advance to all those who help me. ^^

Jun 30 2008, 1:59 am Corbo Post #39

I told you that 340million pixel images crashed my PS.
Sorry, I can't help you.

fuck you all

Options
  Back to forum