Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: SEN Soap Opera - Tux Edition
SEN Soap Opera - Tux Edition
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
May 15 2008, 6:36 am
By: The Starport
Pages: < 1 2 3 45 >

May 16 2008, 12:37 am FatalException Post #21

Quote from name:Tuxedo-Templar
Map day. :P
THIS. I'm in Washington (state, not District of Columbia), and it seems to me that most of SeN is east of here, meaning I would have to get on waayyyy earlier than everyone else to make it to a map night. If we just designate Friday as map day and don't have a start and end time set out, maybe I (along with everyone else in a non-EST timezone) could make it on a bit more. Map Day: As long as you fuckin' want. Just remember to pee. ^^

None.

May 16 2008, 1:35 am The Starport Post #22

Quote from JaFF
Quote from FlyingHat
But really, I don't see too many problems with the community right now, I'm probably missing something.
You've missed something indeed.

Tux, I don't know about you, but I thought the Maplantis community was the best community I've ever been to in the internet. I think the most important thing was the attitude of the 'site' itself, the way it worked as a whole - assholes got banned quickly, there was no compromise in functionality and simplicity, the admin was more than serious and professional yet friendly. Those things created soil for respect to grow on, and it's quite logical that almost all the community members were nice to eachother.

In the current situation, the productivity of the mapping and modding communities depends on the enviroment created for them.
Yes I agree a strong force of law is always needed for respect. Some of that fell out of the transition from Maplantis. But that's understandable.

Quote from Corbo
Don't you think it's enough for us to be talking about the same crap already in about three topics that you had to create a new one that would, obviously, create the same effect and discussion?
Except I'm making a set of specific proposals rather than just toying with the issue in general. It's occurred to me there's two things amiss: General mutual respect (that's both user and staff's job), and the option of reasoning to solve problems. Most senior members at least aren't idiots. That's not to say they can't get out of line, like everyone else, but I'm seeing more action against the out of line parts lately and not quite as much to address the why behind such instances. Hopefully I won't have to cite examples of this, and it's probably not my place to do so. I don't really care about the stuff that's already happened, anyway.

I just don't think we all need to be treated like idiots here. I'm asking if open, honest reasoning is an option for problems in the future. That's all.

Post has been edited 7 time(s), last time on May 16 2008, 2:05 am by Tuxedo-Templar.

None.

May 16 2008, 3:13 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #23

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from FatalException
Just remember to pee. ^^
Ya, just remind me when I'm there. Map/mod night ends and then I start listening to bodily calls... "oshit!"

Yay, tuxlar used my image. :P Unfortunately it was made for old SEN, so it looks crap here.

I think a specific time works better because everyone who wants to attend is forced into a window. If it were an all day thing, it would just be like any other day with people randomly coming on to see if others are online. You could extend the ranges of time...

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

May 16 2008, 3:50 am FatalException Post #24

Quote from O)FaRTy1billion[MM]
Quote from FatalException
Just remember to pee. ^^
Ya, just remind me when I'm there. Map/mod night ends and then I start listening to bodily calls... "oshit!"

Yay, tuxlar used my image. :P Unfortunately it was made for old SEN, so it looks crap here.

I think a specific time works better because everyone who wants to attend is forced into a window. If it were an all day thing, it would just be like any other day with people randomly coming on to see if others are online. You could extend the ranges of time...
Mehbeh 1700 - 0200 EST? :shifty:

None.

May 16 2008, 5:12 am Moose Post #25

We live in a society.

At least, I won't accept that anymore. If I’m wrong about something, then I would ask others to either be respectful and address why for a change, or stfu plz.
Okay, I will.

I generally like to file it under the "shit happens" category, and move on. But even on my end, I’ve lost my patience a few times, certainly. Whether it’s someone taking a steaming dump on something I spent 9 months working on, or losing patience trying to reason with people... ugh. I'll get to this crap shortly.
Why do you bring this up in such a matter? I interpret this as a flame towards Devilesk. You defend your map as better than mine because you spent nine months working on it, which is understandable. Your argument is legitimite until it ends and you admit that you had never played my map. Maybe the time spent makes it better, maybe? The fact that you made your map makes it better? I don't know, and it isn't the point.
The point is that you're telling us to grow up, while you yourself are clearly not even over this one small incident. It certainly is easier to tell us what to do, rather than doing it yourself. Plus, you get the advantage of taking a moral high ground and staying on a high horse. Then, people dislike you and attack you for things like this, you get to look squeaky clean on your high horse, proclaiming you don't wish to create drama. Perhaps you do have good intentions, and your method of implementing these changes is poorly planned out. Or, you need to stop expecting other people to start first and lead by example.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 16 2008, 5:24 am by Mini Moose 2707.

May 16 2008, 5:26 am The Starport Post #26

Quote from Mini Moose 2707
At least, I won't accept that anymore. If I’m wrong about something, then I would ask others to either be respectful and address why for a change, or stfu plz.
Okay, I will.

I generally like to file it under the "shit happens" category, and move on. But even on my end, I’ve lost my patience a few times, certainly. Whether it’s someone taking a steaming dump on something I spent 9 months working on, or losing patience trying to reason with people... ugh. I'll get to this crap shortly.
Why do you bring this up in such a matter? I interpret this as a flame towards Devilesk. You defend your map as better than mine because you spent nine months working on it, which is understandable. Your argument is legitimite until it ends and you admit that you had never played my map. Maybe the time spent makes it better, maybe? The fact that you made your map makes it better? I don't know, and it isn't the point.
The point is that you're telling us to grow up, while you yourself are clearly not even over this one small incident. It certainly is easier to tell us to do, rather than doing it yourself. Plus, you get the advantage of taking a moral high ground and staying on a high horse. Then, people dislike you and attack you for things like this, you get to look squeaky clean on your high horse, proclaiming you don't wish to create drama. Perhaps you do have good intentions, and your method of implementing these changes is poorly planned out. Or, you need to stop expecting other people to start first and lead by example.
No I wasn't comparing or defending my map against yours. At least I was trying not to. Again, I hadn't even gotten to play it yet. I did overreact. But seriously. 9 months. I challenge ANY of you to spend 9 months making something, and then let me take the opportunity to squeeze off a deuce all over it. :P

As for the high horse. Rather than change my avatar again, I'm just going to say it plainly: I WILL NOT GET OFF MY FUCKING HIGH HORSE, BITCHES! AHAHAHAHAH!!!!1

:P

Actually, I just like to solve problems that way. See, theoretically, if everyone were able to use reason, then even an attitude like mine shouldn't matter, because we'd naturally identify and address problems as they turn up rather than play mind games or pick sides. Right?

Again, picking sides and all that crap has NEVER been my intent or purpose here. You should know me better than that by now, moose. Though I do have the kind of ego that can start a World War. I won't lie about that. :ego:

None.

May 16 2008, 5:34 am Moose Post #27

We live in a society.

Yeah, and that's the kind of attitude that's clearly causing you problems. Regardless of your intentions, the unintended consequences are still there. Why should we listen to you when you're clearly elevating yourself to the moral high for further exploitation of such a position? You've come in here trying (or... not trying, as you claim) to fix problems, only to wind up exacerbating them by not realizing the consequences of your actions. The justification is that you were trying to lead this crusade for change and that you had no intentions of causing drama, yet you do anyway... and that's just not right.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on May 16 2008, 5:41 am by Mini Moose 2707.

May 16 2008, 5:56 am The Starport Post #28

Yeah, and that's the kind of attitude that's clearly causing you problems. Regardless of your intentions, the unintended consequences are still there. Why should we listen to you when you're clearly elevating yourself to the moral high for further exploitation of such a position? You've come in here trying (or... not trying, as you claim) to make your flaws into problems for us, and that's just not right.
Well notice the topic title. :P But unless I'm misreading the latest batch of "I quits", I DO think there's a problem here. And I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the respect issue (at the least). And I know I've had some problems regarding that crap myself, too, so I figured I'd generalize it into a message that's useful for everyone rather than just myself. That's not "high horsing", by the way. That's using some sense and reasoning.

Now, you mention "unintended" consequences. But as I see it, those are just parts where information isn't getting through correctly. I often assume people are on the same page as I am, but then discover later that we're not. Example would be that mafia game (ugh!). In a trust-based game where players violate that principal with stuff like account swaps, Anonymoose lulz, posting roles publicly, etc., the minute the trust element breaks down, the game is basically over. Dapper got mad at me running my mouth off while the game was still "running", even though from my perspective it was plain as day that it had long since been shot in the arse the minute I confirmed Anonymoose had succeeded in being started.

Bet you fuckers never thought to try to actually listen to me for change, did you? Oh well.

At this point, I don't care about crap like that. What's done is done. I've learned my lesson about trying to "force" reason. I just want to make a fucking Alcohol map to have some fun doing what I actually enjoy doing here: Making maps. gg.

None.

May 16 2008, 6:07 am Moose Post #29

We live in a society.

And I know I've had some problems regarding that crap myself, too, so I figured I'd generalize it into a message that's useful for everyone rather than just myself. That's not "high horsing", by the way. That's using some sense and reasoning.
That's your interpretation of what it is. That's what you tried to do.

Now, you mention "unintended" consequences. But as I see it, those are just parts where information isn't getting through correctly. I often assume people are on the same page as I am, but then discover later that we're not.
Have you considered the possibility that is your fault as the speaker, rather than ours as the listeners?

At this point, I don't care about crap like that. What's done is done. I've learned my lesson about trying to "force" reason. I just want to make a fucking Alcohol map to have some fun doing what I actually enjoy doing here: Making maps. gg.
Apparently, I have faulty reasoning skills. But, that's not what you meant to say, right?

Bet you fuckers never thought to try to actually listen to me for change, did you? Oh well.
The champion of reason, the man who calls us all "fuckers". But, we're probably just not understanding you correctly.

:rolleyes:

May 16 2008, 6:14 am The Starport Post #30

And I know I've had some problems regarding that crap myself, too, so I figured I'd generalize it into a message that's useful for everyone rather than just myself. That's not "high horsing", by the way. That's using some sense and reasoning.
That's your interpretation of what it is. That's what you tried to do.
Well, if you agree to my proposal to reason it, then we can get to work on that interpretation stuff. That's a start.

Now, you mention "unintended" consequences. But as I see it, those are just parts where information isn't getting through correctly. I often assume people are on the same page as I am, but then discover later that we're not.
Have you considered the possibility that is your fault as the speaker, rather than ours as the listeners?
I have. Don't force reason. That's what I've learned. I'm used to dealing with people who also solve problems this way, so I tend to do that a lot.

Apparently, I have faulty reasoning skills. But, that's not what you meant to say, right?
You think I'm wrong? Let's get to work on that too. That's the whole purpose of this thread, after all.

The champion of reason, the man who calls us all "fuckers". But, we're probably just not understanding you correctly.

:rolleyes:
[/quote]
Did you really need to add on this part? C'mon Moose. You know how I'm feeling about shit like that here.

None.

May 16 2008, 6:16 am Moose Post #31

We live in a society.

Did you really need to add on this part? C'mon Moose.
Yes. The blatancy of this hypocrisy is apalling.

May 16 2008, 6:18 am The Starport Post #32

Even I have limits to my patience, for god's sake. You think I can use reason forever?

None.

May 16 2008, 6:24 am Moose Post #33

We live in a society.

You've suggested that you're on the same level as us... you're starting to get it. Likewise, you shouldn't be telling us to strive for that ideal. I finally feel we're on the same page.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 16 2008, 6:29 am by Mini Moose 2707.

May 16 2008, 6:32 am The Starport Post #34

Then you shouldn't be telling us to strive for that ideal. We could say the same thing. I guess we are on the same page here.
But my frustration is a consequence of string of failures that remain unresolved and stand in the position of potentially never finding resolution. Stuff like that mafia bs. Not just an isolated instance or two. And that's the part that has exceeded my comprehension for the longest time. That's where my frustration comes from.

I mean, if reasoning is the "correct" way to solve problems, HOW do people think that getting away with thinking and acting otherwise is correct? Well I happen to have learned that lesson too. It's called life. People do that shit. We're not robots.

But see, knowingly doing that when the option exists not to is what I believe to be the real crime. That's the part where people and their problems are unnecessarily kept hidden in the dark to fester and grow until they explode out in the open. And that's where threads like these come in. We're not fucking animals here trying to score survival points off one another (at least not on SEN... I hope :P). We can do better than that, right?

None.

May 16 2008, 6:40 am Moose Post #35

We live in a society.

But see, knowingly doing that when the option exists not to is what I believe to be the real crime.
Some would say they're both crimes. Others would say that one being lesser than the other does not justify it.

That's the part where people and their problems are unnecessarily kept hidden in the dark to fester and grow until they explode out in the open. And that's where threads like these come in.
You keep bringing up mafia (still hung up on that), where this is exactly what you did. Stop trying to make it everyone's problem. I want you to take responsibility instead of saying it's okay because you never intended to do it. I'm not saying to beat yourself up over it. I agree with your "what's done is done" view. But to push the responsibility away... isn't working.

Can we do better? I don't know. Your direct control only lies over what you do.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 16 2008, 6:45 am by Mini Moose 2707.

May 16 2008, 6:44 am The Starport Post #36

That's the part where people and their problems are unnecessarily kept hidden in the dark to fester and grow until they explode out in the open. And that's where threads like these come in.
You keep bringing up mafia (still hung up on that), where this is exactly what you did. Stop trying to make it everyone's problem. I want you to take responsibility instead of saying it's okay because you never intended to do it. I'm not saying to beat yourself up over it. I agree with your "what's done is done" view. But to push the responsibility away... isn't working.
I'm not pushing responsibility away by addressing what happened directly. In fact, unless reasoning isn't an option, isn't that how I'm supposed to take responsibility?

Can we do better? I don't know. Your direct control only lies over what you do.
Then my choice is to start at least by dropping the shit that's already happened and looking ahead.

Like by kicking your arse at that Alcohol map contest, for instance. :P

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 16 2008, 6:53 am by Tuxedo-Templar.

None.

May 16 2008, 6:48 am Moose Post #37

We live in a society.

Then my choice is to start at least by dropping the shit that's already happened and looking ahead.
So be it, you are bound to it. The next time you open an old wound, whine about Maplantis Mafia 6, how Anonymoose ruined the game, or how Dapperdan started it forty-seven years ago, or how Devilesk had an opinion you disagreed with regarding your map, you're catching hell.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on May 16 2008, 6:55 am by Mini Moose 2707.

May 16 2008, 6:57 am The Starport Post #38

Oh come now. I don't whine. :P

I GET EVEN!

None.

May 16 2008, 7:01 am Moose Post #39

We live in a society.

Yeah, you just have to learn when getting even just isn't worth it... or you just can't. Because then you start to look silly and blame us for the situation. :P

Getting even. That's what letting go of the past is about, right?

May 16 2008, 7:06 am The Starport Post #40

That was a joke. :P

As long as reason is an option and we can be respectful here, I don't care about anything else.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on May 16 2008, 9:43 am by Tuxedo-Templar.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 45 >
  Back to forum