Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Production > Topic: Hells Awakening
Hells Awakening
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Jan 27 2008, 2:34 pm
By: Oh_Man
Pages: < 1 « 5 6 7 8 9 >

Feb 21 2010, 12:07 am stickynote Post #121

I saw new post today from private parts. I thought the map was done and was like "YES!" but no.

None.

Feb 21 2010, 12:50 am JaFF Post #122

Don't worry, another month or two of waiting from his friend and then we'll get the map. Wait. SC2 is coming out soon. SNAP.

None.

Feb 21 2010, 1:35 am Oh_Man Post #123

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

Well I was under the impression SC2 is coming out after six months of beta.

And it better not take that fucking long! Don't worry guys I'll draw the line at some point I know you've all been very patient with this.

Feb 21 2010, 8:23 am UnholyUrine Post #124

GET ON WITH IT!

None.

Feb 23 2010, 3:51 am payne Post #125

:payne:

Funny how I was somehow important through all the map's production without ever getting to even give a good idea or bug-test. >.<

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 24 2010, 8:54 pm by payne.

None.

Mar 2 2010, 10:38 pm payne Post #126

Seriously, fuck your e-poster.
D=

None.

Mar 5 2010, 1:02 am JaFF Post #127

Quote from payne
D=
I second this notion.

None.

Mar 5 2010, 5:13 am Xero Post #128

Quote from JaFF
Quote from payne
D=
I second this notion.
Third

None.

Mar 5 2010, 5:41 am stickynote Post #129

Quote from Xero
Quote from JaFF
Quote from payne
D=
I second this notion.
Third
Fourth

None.

Mar 10 2010, 9:59 am Oh_Man Post #130

Quote from payne
D=

NEVAR!

OK your all obviously getting impatient so I'm going to satisfy your appetite by teasing you with another feature that I have been incorporating into my RPG while I wait for this poster. Wait did I say satisfy your appetite? I meant make you ravenous. This was something I was going to unveil at launch but I might as well tell you all now:

QUICK TIME EVENTS? Have you heard of them? They are a common feature used in games, most notably the "hack&slash" genre. They involve cut-scene moments of the game where the player has to spam a button, or press a series of buttons in the right order - to do something in the game. If you don't get what I mean, here is a video example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5YBl0QJERQ&NR=1

I have applied this quick time event into the RPG, more specifically into all the boss battles. Why?
1. Its fuckin cool, and gives the players a visually unique and satisfying way of dealing significant additional damage to bosses.
2. It adds another gameplay style for players. Those who can't do enough damage before dying or those who simply can't figure out how to kill the boss can employ "hold out" strategies instead. (hold out strategies work because you get multiple attempts at quick time events throughout the boss battle up until its death)

HOW WILL THIS WORK FOR STARCRAFT
I use the Gateway which has four buttons for my quick time event: Z D T K
The event is triggered by a reverse exponential death count timer, flat lining at 1minute. Eg. Quick Time Sequence every 7 then 5 then 2 then 1 minutes.
Once the timer hits zero, the DC is reset and the sequence begins! Players will be chosen depending on the boss fight at hand. Sometimes it will be random, or other times all three players will need to participate.
The battle will cease as the player/s and boss teleport to an arena. Display Text Messages will be displayed on the players screen telling them which button to press, quick time events will come in twoforms:

1. SPAM (pressing just one button as fast as possible, if your not fast enough the attack will fail and the battle will recommence in real time). Flashing text eg. Z will be displayed in alternating red and yellow.
2. COMBO (pressing a series of buttons in the correct order, pressing the wrong button will break the sequence) The correct series of buttons will be displayed in flashing text.

All boss battles will have you doing a series of combos and spam presses. If you fail the first sequence, don't worry as there will be another one further down the road (unless you kill the boss before the DC hits zero again)

As you progress through the series of button presses your player/s will be displayed doing things, eg. casting a spell, teleporting behind the boss, etc. etc. just aesthetic things that make it look like the player is doing real damage. Each time you get a correct series of combos or spam, DDS damage is delt to the boss.

EG OF QUICK TIME EVENTS I HAVE DONE SO FAR
Water Sprite - Xavier uses a series of Fire attacks to evaporate large portions of the Water Sprite boss.
Sky Wraith - Rionna uses a series of slow moving projectile attacks in conjuction with teleportation to have all of them hit the Wraith at the same time from different angles.

So yaeh just some extra stuff I'm doing to fill this map with as much cool content as I can while I wait. Keep in mind there's a limit to the amount I can do aesthetically in Starcraft. You won't see any God of War (hack&slash that was full of quick time events) epicness of Valefor tearing off the gargoyles head or gauging out a demons eye, but I'll try my best to make the cut scenes look really "brutal".

I know this post isn't as good as the map itself but I beg you all just to keep patient with me and my fail friend, I trust you this map will have everything I've claimed it will have in the OP, you will not be disappointed. Thank you all!

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Mar 10 2010, 2:18 pm by private_parts.

Mar 11 2010, 5:39 am payne Post #131

I can't wait to see this map D=
... just reading the examples of quick time events blows my mind through what kind of uber-boss ideas you could have set up for this rpg :O

:wub:

None.

Mar 17 2010, 5:29 am stickynote Post #132

Make e-poster yourself. I think you might be able to learn how to use photoshop and make the e- poster yourself before your friend finishes.

None.

Mar 17 2010, 7:54 am Oh_Man Post #133

LOL. Probably. I spoke with him yesterday and he apologized for fucking me around and tells me that I get it for free now :) :).

Mar 17 2010, 1:47 pm payne Post #134

Free + Shipping + Manipulations fee.
... and in 1 year. x.x

None.

Mar 19 2010, 7:03 pm Oh_Man Post #135

No way am I waiting that long lol, if the SC2 release date pops up anywhere close to 1-2months away, i'm just gonna release.

Also guys I was just scrolling through my OP today and realised there was another feature that is in my map that I did not mention which you may or may not find cool: choice.

Basically there are a couple side quests that are character specific as well as some side/main quests that present a choice to the player. Mostly these choices will result in minor changes in the quest line and a variation of rewards.
Eg. Rionna is asked to participate in an archery contest (disruptor web + flying scourge), once the player gets a perfect score at the contest, she is approached by a mysterious man who thinks her skills will make her apt in taking out a "monster" that has been terrorizing his village. However once you locate the "monster" you find out that it is actually a creature which is worshiped by a group of monks, who consider the creature central to their religion. Very quickly the black and white situation becomes grey, and spoilers aside Rionna has the choice of killing the monster, earning the hatred of the monks and praise and reward of the mysterious man, or vice versa.

Other "group" choices involve all three players voting on a decision, with majority rules. These often have more dramatic impacts on storyline and reward.

I tried to make most if not all of the decisions to be "morally difficult" to choose. So yeah just something I thought I would mention to you guys, you may find it an attractive gameplay feature, you may not.

Now keep waiting damn it! I'll post again to tell you once I've completed my quick time events!

Mar 19 2010, 7:07 pm payne Post #136

SC2's beta is said to be finished within 1-2 months (seriously). :O

None.

Apr 5 2010, 11:06 pm New-Guy Post #137

Is there any chance of this being released sometime soon?

None.

Apr 5 2010, 11:18 pm payne Post #138

Quote from New-Guy
Is there any chance of this being released sometime soon?
I can already say it'll be released before Marsh. ^^

None.

Apr 6 2010, 1:16 am stickynote Post #139

No. His e-poster will never be complete.

None.

Apr 6 2010, 1:28 am Tempz Post #140

When I get starcraft 2 I'm going to start projects and never stop so i won't end up like this ;(

Anyways I hope that when you make the transitions to starcraft 2 you can convert this to starcraft 2 hopefully blizzard would have some tool that can transfer a map like that :D

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 5 6 7 8 9 >
  Back to forum