Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Production > Topic: Mini-Game Party
Mini-Game Party
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Sep 2 2007, 7:11 am
By: MillenniumArmy
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5 6 719 >

Feb 22 2008, 1:38 am Ultraviolet Post #81

Quote from The_z0r
It is? I just went to it, and it the main page showed up like usual...

It was down at the time of my posting.

Edit: Download Me

Mar 10 2008, 9:51 am MillenniumArmy Post #82

Did I say 80 minigames?

I think 96 sounds better

... BEFORE any of you start bitching at me for how this map is gonna take longer to release now, note that I am working as much as i can on this map; I don't always make frequent posts saying how many minigames I've done.
And also, because it's going to be 96 minigames, I most likely will release a demo containing minigames 33-64. But again chances are you won't be playing that much because i'll release everything very soon after that ;)
This is going to be my retirement map; there is no way I'd cease its progress.

None.

Mar 10 2008, 1:51 pm Ryan Post #83

Quote from MillenniumArmy
Did I say 80 minigames?

I think 96 sounds better

Good Lord. What's your motivation for adding even more games? Moar epicness?

None.

Mar 10 2008, 9:29 pm Nintendo_Confed Post #84

Did I say 80 minigames?

I think 96 sounds better

... BEFORE any of you start bitching at me for how this map is gonna take longer to release now, note that I am working as much as i can on this map; I don't always make frequent posts saying how many minigames I've done.
And also, because it's going to be 96 minigames, I most likely will release a demo containing minigames 33-64. But again chances are you won't be playing that much because i'll release everything very soon after that ;)
This is going to be my retirement map; there is no way I'd cease its progress.
WTF? Even more?! Wow. How the hell are you gonna fit 16 more minigames?

None.

Mar 10 2008, 9:58 pm MillenniumArmy Post #85

Quote from Anonymous
Did I say 80 minigames?

I think 96 sounds better

Good Lord. What's your motivation for adding even more games? Moar epicness?
Several reasons actually:

1) The more, the better
2) As much as I find it strange for me to say this, but truth be told I am not exactly too thrilled that Mini-Game Party DEMOv2 is quite well-spread throughout battle.net. Just about every person that knows me knows about mini-game party and always ask when I'm gonna be done. Well, it's good that people like it, but IMO it's going to spoil almost half the map (thus that was why I made it to 80 before). So to preserve the "freshness" of the map, I thought it'd be better to add more games to it. And...
3) Like mentioned before, this gives me a greater incentive to release a third demo. Demo's are actually very helpful to me as I can see, over time, what needs to be done about each mini-game and such and find maybe some fatal glitches or flaws.
4) Map ideas keep popping into my mind. I actually have room to add more mini-games. I've got all the necessary space and locations needed. Strings percent-wise is not going to be a problem (I will hit well over 1024 strings but since I'm using SCMDraft 2, it shouldn't matter as long as I don't max out the string max (size) of the map, which I know I will not hit.)
5) And yes, more epic I guess. As this is going to be my last official map, I will give myself a challenge too, pour my wonderful 8-9 years of map making memories into it.

:P

None.

Mar 12 2008, 7:25 pm -BW-Map_God Post #86

Sounds excellent, keep up the awesome work Millenium, I have enjoyed playing many of your games over the year and with my 7k+ map database when I run across people in need of a map that have returned to starcraft after a while gone or whatever they always seem to HAVE TO have some of those MIlleniumArmy maps back first ^^. Anyways this sounds awesome, 96 mini games...wow, where I live we do monthly lan parties which feature SC-BW Tournaments, Rock Band and some fps play. Sometimes we play Mario Party (I and II) at them but your game will totally trump those and bring more excitement/fun to everyone not to mention wondering what is next and not having to deal with the crappy Mario Party storyline stuff. Anyways keep it up, take your time! As a map maker I know it takes a while to get everything right and test to eliminate bugs and such. It's been months since i was able to find time to edit (in College, finishing my last semester) so I definitely applaud you for balancing your time well enough to work on this massive project in the middle of a college semester.

None.

Mar 14 2008, 8:49 pm Zergblender Post #87

I know a nice minigame.

Dodge the fireball:
Siegetanks will continuously fire at a burrowed unit, moved under an observer to create a huge splashing fireball.The fireball will start to move and you must dodge it untill you are the last one standing.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 15 2008, 12:49 pm by Zergblender.

None.

Mar 14 2008, 10:34 pm FooFighters Post #88

Srry for my post Millenium, i didnt know, but, hopefully u can get more minigames then u have mentioned, i say 100 would be good but hard!

None.

Mar 18 2008, 7:34 pm Saucon Post #89

Can't wait for this.
operation CWAL.
. . .
wtf my cheats not working?!
...curses.

None.

Mar 18 2008, 8:55 pm MillenniumArmy Post #90

Yea it's not working for me either :unsure:

None.

Mar 19 2008, 2:45 pm Zergblender Post #91

If you're still collecting ideas, I have one.

Each player controlls a Zerg queen or Dark archon.
There are many cloaked units walking around the platform and the players must kill as many as possible,
using ensnare/maelstrom to see them and spawn broodling/feedback to kill them.
Obviously, the player with the most kills wins.

None.

Mar 19 2008, 7:56 pm -BW-Map_God Post #92

Looks like it won't be in time for this month's CalLAN party, maybe next month :D!! I am still optimistic, though you are putting in a ton of stuff so it will probably take time as careful as you have to be with space and everything else your running short of on that map.

None.

Mar 22 2008, 6:09 am labdishwasher Post #93

I haven't played a lot of your maps yet (you are responsible for Woman Tag and Zombie Mall though, right?), so you may have already beat this concept to death in another map.
HOWever,
I think there's gotta be something really cool you can do with a mini-game that involves:
1 - cloaking or burrowing units
2 - a Detector unit, such as an observer, that is blind
3 - ??? other units?
4 - PROFIT!

Other ideas I've had while playing mini-game party:
1 - a race wherein the racers have the ability to cast Ensnare to slow their rivals and Dark Swarm to make it hard to see the obstacles
2 - Spin the bottle, but the kisser is a firebat and the kissees are zerglings with speed. maybe the zerglings have 0 or 1 damage - the kisser can easily handle one or two zerglings, but he has a small HP pool (like in woman tag), making it risky for him to try to kiss a whole bunch of people in one go.
3 - Some sort of a mini-game where the participants get drunk. I don't know how to represent drunkenness in Starcraft mechanics, though. I recommend getting drunk and walking around your campus or playing starcraft for ideas. :D It could be a drinking game type thing, where every time you do something wrong you have to take a drink, suffering the effect(s) of drunkenness more frequently or in greater potency as you get drunker, making it harder to do the game. It could also be a simple thing of, every few seconds your character is a bit more drunk, and that is bad for some reason. Or maybe you WANT to get drunk, so you try to take a lot of drinks, because you win when you pass out, but the drunker you are, the harder it is to successfully walk or fight your way towards the kegs of booze.

BUGFIX - In hot potato, we had a bug where the potato changed hands, and the music kept playing, but the round never ended and the potato refused to change hands ever again. The hot potato was a vulture. We only had teal, orange, and I think red playing. Maybe it was blue, but I'm pretty sure red. (top center player, bottom center player, and a player directly to the right of bottom center) Teal passed the potato to orange, and orange's potato could move up to our flags but wouldn't change color. The music continued for at least 2:00 longer but nothing happened, and we had to RM. I've played minigame party several other times, including two or three other iterations of Hot Potato, and experienced no errors in them.

Have you checked out the humongous game revision known as Ultimate Doom, on Starcraft.org? It's a really ingenious piece of work, as far as game modifications do. It anticipates (and likely inspired) some of the things they've showed us in SC II (notably, Marines in Ultimate Doom can chuck bouncing grenades). You might be able to steal some of the marvelous code from there for interesting effects.

None.

Mar 22 2008, 7:31 am MNeox Post #94

Yeah the demo was good, no it was great!

I really want to see you pull this off because then It would be the

ultimate multiplayer ums game out there. :]

None.

Mar 22 2008, 1:32 pm labdishwasher Post #95

Speaking of the demo being great, Accurate Drops seemed tedious to me. I once had a couple people leave the game out of frustration during it. I've had the bad luck of drawing that minigame every time. :( Maybe fewer ultralisks, or ultralisks that all move clockwise so the gaps are more predictable?
The one where the scourges "pick up" your ling and "drag" it to the outside usually confuses people. Many of them mis-read the directions and run to the brown area as soon as the game starts. Very cool concept, though.
In spin the bottle, there should be a time limit on how long you can let your bottle spin. I had a guy say "I'm not stopping until you're all in one square." That was maddening.
Also, I agree with the thing that someone said about the dark archon minigame - I always win that minigame, and do it by selecting all my archons and spamming feedback on the queen. Kinda cheesy, imo. If I had fewer archons, that tactic could be countered by a fast clicker wiping out the ones I'm using and forcing me to be off-balance as I go back to get more.

None.

Mar 22 2008, 7:02 pm MillenniumArmy Post #96

Quote from Zergblender
If you're still collecting ideas, I have one.

Each player controlls a Zerg queen or Dark archon.
There are many cloaked units walking around the platform and the players must kill as many as possible,
using ensnare/maelstrom to see them and spawn broodling/feedback to kill them.
Obviously, the player with the most kills wins.
Hmmm, sounds like a good idea. If i need to scrap a current minigame idea of mine, I'll use this to replace it. Thx :)
Quote from labdishwasher
Other ideas I've had while playing mini-game party:
1 - a race wherein the racers have the ability to cast Ensnare to slow their rivals and Dark Swarm to make it hard to see the obstacles
2 - Spin the bottle, but the kisser is a firebat and the kissees are zerglings with speed. maybe the zerglings have 0 or 1 damage - the kisser can easily handle one or two zerglings, but he has a small HP pool (like in woman tag), making it risky for him to try to kiss a whole bunch of people in one go.
3 - Some sort of a mini-game where the participants get drunk. I don't know how to represent drunkenness in Starcraft mechanics, though. I recommend getting drunk and walking around your campus or playing starcraft for ideas. :D It could be a drinking game type thing, where every time you do something wrong you have to take a drink, suffering the effect(s) of drunkenness more frequently or in greater potency as you get drunker, making it harder to do the game. It could also be a simple thing of, every few seconds your character is a bit more drunk, and that is bad for some reason. Or maybe you WANT to get drunk, so you try to take a lot of drinks, because you win when you pass out, but the drunker you are, the harder it is to successfully walk or fight your way towards the kegs of booze.

BUGFIX - In hot potato, we had a bug where the potato changed hands, and the music kept playing, but the round never ended and the potato refused to change hands ever again. The hot potato was a vulture. We only had teal, orange, and I think red playing. Maybe it was blue, but I'm pretty sure red. (top center player, bottom center player, and a player directly to the right of bottom center) Teal passed the potato to orange, and orange's potato could move up to our flags but wouldn't change color. The music continued for at least 2:00 longer but nothing happened, and we had to RM. I've played minigame party several other times, including two or three other iterations of Hot Potato, and experienced no errors in them.

Have you checked out the humongous game revision known as Ultimate Doom, on Starcraft.org? It's a really ingenious piece of work, as far as game modifications do. It anticipates (and likely inspired) some of the things they've showed us in SC II (notably, Marines in Ultimate Doom can chuck bouncing grenades). You might be able to steal some of the marvelous code from there for interesting effects.
Yup, woman tag is one. I didn't make zombie mall though.

As for some ideas.
1) I have been thinking about this sort of, but I believe I already have ideas similar to this :P
2) When I was brainstorming this map, spin the bottle was one of the first few ideas that popped up. However, I've decided to use two minigames which featured some elements of spin the bottle. Actually, if you noticed, the game #32 Ticking bomb i sort of tried to add that element in the sense that one person has to chase someone down.
3) I have a new minigame idea called Earthquake dodge, your screen will constantly be shaking as if you were really dizzy. I believe this somewhat delineates "drunkeness" when it comes to starcraft mechanics ;)

And yea, hot potato had that serious bug. I fixed it though. That bug occurs if you played the minigame "Musical chairs" prior to playing "Hot potato." All of my mini-games reuse the same switches and deathcounts but for Musical chairs when the game ends I forgot to clear this one switch. And as soon as hot potato starts and sees that this switch is set, it'll create that bug.

Quote from labdishwasher
Speaking of the demo being great, Accurate Drops seemed tedious to me. I once had a couple people leave the game out of frustration during it. I've had the bad luck of drawing that minigame every time. :( Maybe fewer ultralisks, or ultralisks that all move clockwise so the gaps are more predictable?
The one where the scourges "pick up" your ling and "drag" it to the outside usually confuses people. Many of them mis-read the directions and run to the brown area as soon as the game starts. Very cool concept, though.
In spin the bottle, there should be a time limit on how long you can let your bottle spin. I had a guy say "I'm not stopping until you're all in one square." That was maddening.
Also, I agree with the thing that someone said about the dark archon minigame - I always win that minigame, and do it by selecting all my archons and spamming feedback on the queen. Kinda cheesy, imo. If I had fewer archons, that tactic could be countered by a fast clicker wiping out the ones I'm using and forcing me to be off-balance as I go back to get more.
Accurate drops is actually one of my favorite minigames :P As for me when I play it people don't usually get frustrated that much; it's all about patience and just.. not screwing up :P. I may consider looking back at that game though.
Yea some people get confused by #9 Blown Away but again what can I do about it :P
Yea i realized that huge flaw to spin the bottle. I never bothered fixing it though because that map was made mainly for laughs. After that map was released i started working on mini-game party
And for the dark archon madness, I was thinking about using a much smaller arena and faster spawn rate (so it'll almost be like everyone is clumped together) Or I might just eliminate that idea all-together, only time will tell

None.

Mar 22 2008, 7:16 pm payne Post #97

:payne:

Personnally, I think you shall remove some games :
- Lurker sniper (the one with lurker that have to kills a cloaked ling)
- Orbital shit (the one where you have a zergling with a crystal that orbits around it... it's really rigged!)
And improve some others :
- The one where you can MC gols to create a killer BC that destroy nearby DA... make it 3 rounds maybe?
- The one where you get ghosts to kill lings that appears randomly... please, reduce the total number of kills to 8 maybe?

Btw, when is gonna come the next demo? :D

None.

Mar 22 2008, 8:16 pm Nintendo_Confed Post #98

Quote from labdishwasher
Hes right, thats what i did lol XD

None.

Mar 23 2008, 3:26 am payne Post #99

:payne:

I've got two ideas for your mini games :P
1- It would be like a dodge game: you have a zergling and you dodge reavers BUT, what's unexpected is that you have 3 different areas to watch for not being tuched by reavers and all your opponents are with you so they can kinda trap you and everything!
2- Again, a dodge idea: this time, in one area, but every time you get tuched, the unit that tuched you becomes yours so you now have to take care of not being tuched on any of these 2 units :D it would end when all units are controlled by players and the player that has the least wins!

None.

Mar 23 2008, 5:11 am MNeox Post #100

Quote from payne
I've got two ideas for your mini games :P
1- It would be like a dodge game: you have a zergling and you dodge reavers BUT, what's unexpected is that you have 3 different areas to watch for not being tuched by reavers and all your opponents are with you so they can kinda trap you and everything!
2- Again, a dodge idea: this time, in one area, but every time you get tuched, the unit that tuched you becomes yours so you now have to take care of not being tuched on any of these 2 units :D it would end when all units are controlled by players and the player that has the least wins!

The second Idea reminds me of Tux's 'borrowers' map. Only in that game you would win by controlling the most buildings you touched and I think if you had 0 buildings and 0 units you would lose. :P oh and the buidlings that you got could also make units to fight.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5 6 719 >
  Back to forum