Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Merging map types
Merging map types
Jan 5 2013, 9:42 pm
By: Raygoza  

Jan 8 2013, 11:50 am Ahli Post #21

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

Quote from O)FaRTy1billion[MM]
I've never seen a "cover" property on a tile. Which map?
Doodads like Trees on Jungle tileset provide a chance to dodge incoming attacks to units around the tree.

Jan 8 2013, 12:42 pm TF- Post #22

🤙🏾

http://www.staredit.net/topic/15118/

🤙🏾

Jan 8 2013, 3:11 pm jjf28 Post #23

Cartography Artisan

Looks like that map is taking advantage of low-high ground, which has a 53.125% hit chance Chance to Hit Guide

Sprite Properties: http://puu.sh/1Ldfa

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 8 2013, 4:34 pm by jjf28. Reason: obnoxious image size

TheNitesWhoSay - Clan Aura - github

Reached the top of StarCraft theory crafting 2:12 AM CST, August 2nd, 2014.

Jan 8 2013, 3:24 pm TF- Post #24

🤙🏾

Nah, I just tested it. I tried to use that silly flag before, it never does anything.

In the map, from left to right, the first tree is a complete doodad with the doodad's terrain tiles underneath, second tree is just the sprite with the "cover" flag checked, third tree is the sprite with the flag unchecked.
Only the first tree provides cover.

Attachments:
!covertest.scm
Hits: 1 Size: 49.13kb

🤙🏾

Jan 8 2013, 4:28 pm jjf28 Post #25

Cartography Artisan

Oh, it appears the tiles are providing "doodad cover" (best shown by removing the sprite and putting the targeting unit on high ground), mb :)

Jan 9 2013, 7:31 am TF- Post #26

🤙🏾

No problem. Do you know how I could find out which tiles have this property and look for them? I'd like to see if the Installation tileset has any cover tiles somewhere, since all of the null tiles I tried so far didn't.

🤙🏾

Jan 9 2013, 8:32 am jjf28 Post #27

Cartography Artisan

The attached version of Chkdraft isn't quite ready for release as the setpixel function is horrendous/causes lag, regardless it could be of some help

The yellow numbers are the tile values, you can set the tile value with ctrl+click, tile numbers >= 16384 should belong to doodads, though if you've tried some doodad tiles already I have my doubts other will work.

I don't see any properties of tiles that are exclusively purposed for providing cover [1][2], perhaps more investigation later.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 9 2013, 8:46 am by jjf28.

Jan 9 2013, 10:01 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #28

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from TF-
Nah, I just tested it. I tried to use that silly flag before, it never does anything.
It's my understanding that the only flags that do anything are the unit/sprite flags and the Disabled flags (but only on unit sprites).

Quote from jjf28
I don't see any properties of tiles that are exclusively purposed for providing cover [1][2], perhaps more investigation later.
I think it must be either 0x0001 or 0x0010 in the flags. In my (unfinished) tileset editing program I see those bits set ... In ground doodads that you can (generally) walk on the 0x0001 flag is set, in trees (and only trees) I see 0x0010 set. Except the tree part of the trees is a sprite and not part of the doodad terrain, so that doesn't make sense if it's not the sprite.

Post has been edited 4 time(s), last time on Jan 9 2013, 10:19 am by FaRTy1billion.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Jan 9 2013, 10:26 am TF- Post #29

🤙🏾

Quote from jjf28
The attached version of Chkdraft isn't quite ready for release as the setpixel function is horrendous/causes lag, regardless it could be of some help
The yellow numbers are the tile values, you can set the tile value with ctrl+click, tile numbers >= 16384 should belong to doodads, though if you've tried some doodad tiles already I have my doubts other will work.

I can see all the tiles but there isn't a way to check flags is there?

I think it must be either 0x0001 or 0x0010 in the flags. In my (unfinished) tileset editing program I see those bits set ... In ground doodads that you can (generally) walk on the 0x0001 flag is set, in trees (and only trees) I see 0x0010 set. Except the tree part of the trees is a sprite and not part of the doodad terrain, so that doesn't make sense if it's not the sprite.

Is that program published? I would just check the flags on random tiles until I found 0x0010 set, faster than testing each tile in-game anyway.

🤙🏾

Jan 9 2013, 11:06 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #30

👻 👾 👽 💪

I went through every doodad in Jungle and the only tiles that have the 0x0010 flag are only the trees, and every tree has them. This does not include the rock structures you can hide behind. Also there appears to be other flags. The "ground height" flags do not appear to be that at all for doodads ...

0x0001 seems to be on ground and entirely walkable doodads (shrubs, small bones, etc.).
0x0010 seems to be for trees ... Ice and Desert have most doodads with a spite with this flag (cactus/trees, shack doodads). No Installation, Space or Twilight doodad has this flag.
0x0100 seems to be on most cover doodads (not signs in badlands or a few doodads in jungle, such as the tall cylindrical ruins doodad), and large doodads.
0x0200 seems to be on medium ground doodads.
0x0400 seems to be on high ground doodads. These two flags are probably not used ... The minitiles, as discussed earlier, have the flags for ground height. Cliff doodads facing south have the height of the higher ground, cliff doodads facing north have the height of the lower ground, and ramps have the height of the lower ground (except on Brood War tilesets).

Tiles that have cover in the map do not have irregular flags. They only have the 0x0001 flag, which no cover doodad has.
Additionally, no minitile in any tileset has an unknown flag.

Post has been edited 6 time(s), last time on Jan 9 2013, 11:22 am by FaRTy1billion.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Jan 9 2013, 12:13 pm TF- Post #31

🤙🏾

Eh, doesn't look good for cover in Installation then, maybe I'll mod it sometime, I always wanted Installation to be fully playable in melee style (buildable, creep spreads, cover doodads)

🤙🏾

Options
  Back to forum