Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Meanwhile
Meanwhile
Dec 3 2011, 1:49 am
By: Aristocrat
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6 7 >

Dec 14 2011, 4:08 am poison_us Post #101

Back* from the grave

Last time I checked, the American government was never initially meant to include a welfare system. It was set up to defend the lives and livelihood of the people, not control the economy in any fashion. But hey, who cares about that old piece of paper that says what the government can and can't do anyways? I mean, why don't we all just ignore it and treat certain people with their own rules? Once we start to make special cases of everything, I imagine all will be much clearer and no longer will we have unhappy people, reich?

Dec 14 2011, 5:37 am Sacrieur Post #102

Still Napping

That old scrap of paper never accounted for a world population of 7 billion, the internet, mechanization, and well, you get the point.

Healthcare was never much of an issue, each small town would usually have a doctor who was hired by the town. And it wasn't really like they did too much. You had cancer and WELL YOU'RE FUCKED. Scarlet fever? AHH EVIL DEMONS. Yeah, medical understanding and technology wasn't exactly... developed. Few things were treatable, and a lot of people died because of it.

None.

Dec 14 2011, 6:18 am payne Post #103

:payne:

Quote from Jack
No, I mean the OWS movement has never had a defined mission statement or purpose, they just started protesting. Maybe someone in the US has a better idea of exactly why they started.
It all started protesting against "Corporate Greed" and "Money in Politics". The rest came after.

None.

Dec 14 2011, 6:30 am poison_us Post #104

Back* from the grave

Quote from payne
Quote from Jack
No, I mean the OWS movement has never had a defined mission statement or purpose, they just started protesting. Maybe someone in the US has a better idea of exactly why they started.
It all started protesting against "Corporate Greed" and "Money in Politics". The rest came after.
So it became accepted to become public greed, and money in the unlucky?

Dec 14 2011, 6:36 am payne Post #105

Quote from poison_us
Quote from payne
Quote from Jack
So it became accepted to become public greed, and money in the unlucky?
I don't see what's wrong with "money in the unlucky". :/

None.

Dec 14 2011, 9:15 am poison_us Post #106

Back* from the grave

It's my personal opinion that people who aren't skilled enough, or are unwilling, to work and gain money shouldn't be given the money that I worked hard for. I'm not against welfare in any way for those that deserve it, but there's a large portion of people that get it that are simply unwilling to work.

Sorry, I'm selfish like that.

Dec 14 2011, 3:11 pm Sacrieur Post #107

Still Napping

Quote from poison_us
It's my personal opinion that people who aren't skilled enough, or are unwilling, to work and gain money shouldn't be given the money that I worked hard for. I'm not against welfare in any way for those that deserve it, but there's a large portion of people that get it that are simply unwilling to work.

Sorry, I'm selfish like that.

Yes, because most people on welfare are people unwilling to work. Statistics, please.

None.

Dec 14 2011, 3:15 pm poison_us Post #108

Back* from the grave

Please tell me where I said most.

Dec 14 2011, 5:39 pm payne Post #109

Quote from poison_us
Please tell me where I said most.
Well, unless you've decided you wouldn't contribute to welfare because only very few individuals are abusing it, I think you pretty much intended it to sound like it was a rather large %.

:corbo:

None.

Dec 14 2011, 7:33 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #110

👻 👾 👽 💪

We should instead be like the French ... :awesome:
Their movement at least got somewhere, even if it took a few tries.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Dec 14 2011, 7:59 pm Fire_Kame Post #111

wth is starcraft

Quote from Sacrieur
Statistics, please.

:lol:

Dec 14 2011, 8:26 pm Lanthanide Post #112

Why is that funny?

None.

Dec 15 2011, 2:00 am Sacrieur Post #113

Still Napping

It's true, you didn't say most. But "large portion" implies more than average. Being that there is no average to compare to, I assumed, incorrectly, that large meant more than 50%.

None.

Dec 19 2011, 3:06 am dumbducky Post #114

Relevant.

Too long; didn't watch: It's a video demonstrating what happened at that UC-Davis pepper spray incident. Police warn protesters multiple times that they are going to tear down the tents that are illegally placed on UC-Davis's quad and that they will arrest anyone who tries to stop them. They do this and arrest several people, but most people just stand around and watch them, chanting stuff. Then the peaceful protesters surround the cops and demand that they release their friends in exchange for the police being unblocked. This act itself is illegal. The police go down the line of sitting protesters and warn them each individually the consequences of doing this. Several times. Then they are pepper sprayed. This is the part everyone saw. The part where the cop candidly walks up pepper sprays everyone. Then the protesters finally disperse and announce that they will give the cops a "moment of peace" if they never come back. The protesters then celebrate as the cops leave, as if they won a battle or something.

Tl;dr: Cops warn people several times they are breaking the law and will be pepper sprayed; then do it. Outrage ensues.

tits

Dec 19 2011, 4:22 am Lanthanide Post #115

Quote from dumbducky
Relevant.

Too long; didn't watch: It's a video demonstrating what happened at that UC-Davis pepper spray incident. Police warn protesters multiple times that they are going to tear down the tents that are illegally placed on UC-Davis's quad and that they will arrest anyone who tries to stop them. They do this and arrest several people, but most people just stand around and watch them, chanting stuff. Then the peaceful protesters surround the cops and demand that they release their friends in exchange for the police being unblocked. This act itself is illegal. The police go down the line of sitting protesters and warn them each individually the consequences of doing this. Several times. Then they are pepper sprayed. This is the part everyone saw. The part where the cop candidly walks up pepper sprays everyone. Then the protesters finally disperse and announce that they will give the cops a "moment of peace" if they never come back. The protesters then celebrate as the cops leave, as if they won a battle or something.

Tl;dr: Cops warn people several times they are breaking the law and will be pepper sprayed; then do it. Outrage ensues.
Yes, when things are taken out of context they can give an entirely different impression than what really happened. I don't think this is news to anyone.

None.

Dec 19 2011, 5:14 am Sacrieur Post #116

Still Napping

TL;DR: cops warn reasonable people that they are breaking the law and will respond violently if they don't comply. People refuse.

SURPRISE! Aggressive response did not work. I CAN'T IMAGINE WHY.

None.

Dec 20 2011, 1:42 am dumbducky Post #117

Quote from Lanthanide
Quote from dumbducky
Relevant.

Yes, when things are taken out of context they can give an entirely different impression than what really happened. I don't think this is news to anyone.
Apparently it is, because I received this as a response:
Quote from Sacrieur

TL;DR: cops warn reasonable people that they are breaking the law and will respond violently if they don't comply. People refuse.

1) The protesters weren't reasonable.
2) Responding "violently" did work.

tits

Dec 20 2011, 3:43 am payne Post #118

Quote from dumbducky
Quote from Lanthanide
Quote from dumbducky
Relevant.

Apparently it is, because I received this as a response:
Quote from Sacrieur

1) The protesters weren't reasonable.
2) Responding "violently" did work.
My point would be there should be no violent response unless provoked violently, that is... in case of self-defence.

None.

Dec 20 2011, 4:51 am dumbducky Post #119

So the cops were just supposed to sit inside the neo-hippie barricade until the hippies felt like letting them go? If I show up outside your house and barricade you in, is there nothing you can do about it until I start pushing people? Do I just have to start shouting "don't shoot students!" to get a break-the-law free card?

tits

Dec 20 2011, 4:54 am Sacrieur Post #120

Still Napping

We should just mow them all down with some M-16s. As long as we warn them of the consequences, it's their fault. Damn hippies.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6 7 >
  Back to forum