Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: Best Compiler?
Best Compiler?
Feb 14 2011, 10:36 pm
By: samsizzle  

Feb 15 2011, 9:11 pm Jack Post #21

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from samsizzle
I mostly just want to get as much experience as possible so I can decide exactly which sort of field I want to go in... I guess what I'm asking is which language would give me the most opportunities?
Start with C++. That's the most widely used language (except HTML :P). Even if you don't end up using it, it will teach you the basics of coding which will help you if you change language later on.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Feb 16 2011, 1:50 am Lanthanide Post #22

I'd say start with python if you're just trying to get a feel for it.

None.

Feb 16 2011, 2:34 am Apos Post #23

I order you to forgive yourself!

I've learned Java for a year and it felt very easy. During the summer, I decided to make my own chess engine. I wrote the first 1000 lines in Java and then I felt like I wanted to try making everything in c++ so I tried to compile my Java code with gcc and from there, I corrected the mistakes that were outputted by the compiler. It turned out Java was not too different from c++ and pretty much everything I knew was transfered to c++. (The syntax is very similar between both languages.)

Not sure if it helps you in anyway...

Moral of the story: Once you know a programming language, it's not too hard to learn an other one when you feel like it.

Feb 16 2011, 3:06 am The Starport Post #24

Languages are a huge maybe. Platform functionality is a definite no. Try turning a Java Swing app into a C++ Windows app, for instance.

I suppose eventually you could manage it, but it can't be much better than just remaking it from scratch...

None.

Feb 16 2011, 3:43 am Lanthanide Post #25

Java or Python would be my recommendations, if you just want to play around.

Here's the IDE we used at uni, which is specifically for teaching OO concepts (classes vs objects etc): http://www.bluej.org/

None.

Feb 16 2011, 4:53 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #26

👻 👾 👽 💪

Why do courses focus so heavily on OO? It is completely unnecessary most of the time it is used.

Something like Java's probably a good place to start. Probably better than VB (where I started)... :P

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Feb 16 2011, 7:36 am Lanthanide Post #27

Because OO methodologies are probably used in most commercial development these days, whether it's .net or web apps or what have you. Not that I'm saying non-OO is uncommon, just that OO is the most predominant. Also once you've learnt OO it's easier to pick up procedural coding as it's effectively a 'simpler' paradigm; going from procedural to OO is a bigger task to get your head around as it completely changes the way software is designed.

None.

Feb 16 2011, 11:26 am The Starport Post #28

Uh, I thought you implicitly needed to understand procedural before OO...

None.

Options
  Back to forum