Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: SC1 Oldwiki and Newwiki
SC1 Oldwiki and Newwiki
Jan 4 2011, 5:43 pm
By: rockz
Pages: < 1 2 3 >

Sep 13 2011, 12:05 am DevliN Post #21

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from Lanthanide
There are 92 pages in that wiki including everything, and about 20 of them are fairly useless pages that describe single buildings or units (pointless). The last update was back in June.
The best way to make that wiki better is to add to it. We were testing wiki templates with those "useless" pages on units and buildings, but for the most part we were trying to bring the oldwiki stuff to the new one. We don't really need a script to automatically do it as you can just copy/paste the text and do some minor formatting. That's how I did it when I originally started to copy them over, at least, and that seemed to be fine. The only really time-consuming articles are the ones with a ton of images. Eventually there will be a link to the new wiki, so there is no "if" about it. :)

Nude also brings up a good point, people wont even look at the responses in this thread if they assume everything is in the OP. :/

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Sep 13 2011, 12:38 am Lanthanide Post #22

Quote from NudeRaider
Whereever it goes I think an Index topic is about the worst place to store actual content because most people won't bother reading the posts when they're looking for something.
For now the best place would be http://www.staredit.net/starcraft/List_of_StarCraft_quirks_and_nuances . Do you think you can add it there? You don't even have to worry about formatting.
I'll see if I can get Devourer to hack it into the actual oldwiki content.
Yes, that would be the best place for it, but as I can't edit that page, posting in this thread was my only (reasonable) alternative.

Also people might find it in this thread, if they:
1. Remember seeing my post next time they want to deal with powerups
2. Search for 'powerup' in this thread incase there is a wiki page called 'powerup' that they want to read. Although probably my post has slipped onto the 2nd page of the thread by now (I have my default posts per page set to the maximum).

There are actually some other things I'd like to add to the Q&N page, as well as fix a few errors on it and add some clarifications.

Quote from DevliN
Eventually there will be a link to the new wiki, so there is no "if" about it. :)
You could start by adding a link to the new wiki at the very top of the OP.

None.

Sep 13 2011, 7:37 am DevliN Post #23

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from Lanthanide
Quote from DevliN
Eventually there will be a link to the new wiki, so there is no "if" about it. :)
You could start by adding a link to the new wiki at the very top of the OP.
There is a link in the OP.

EDIT:
Nevermind, Nude deleted it when he copy/pasted the organized list into the OP. Re-added.

My Overwatch addiction.

Sep 13 2011, 3:31 pm NudeRaider Post #24

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from DevliN
Nevermind, Nude deleted it when he copy/pasted the organized list into the OP. Re-added.
ooops :blush:

:dev: is awesome:
http://www.staredit.net/?p=oldwiki&s=142

Oct 11 2011, 11:21 am Wormer Post #25

Actually the way I always find SC1 new wiki is as follows: I go to this thread and navigate through the link in the head post. Though, it's a shame how we don't still have a link to the SC1 new wiki in the navbar. There are 2 buttons to switch between SC1 and SC2 layouts, just make the navbar wiki link context sensitive or make a dropdown menu with 2 items... I believe it's not really *that* hard to do. Since we still have got exported wiki articles which are inconsistent with the new SC1 wiki and this thread serves a kind of navigation panel for that content it might be an idea to add the link of this thread to the site navbar too.

Then Lanthanide, thank you very much for documenting information about powerups! But... IMO the thread isn't really a good place to store all of the actual content... Exported wiki is a vivid example of what happens when we start doing this. We *may* put this kind of info there, but an admin should then add the information to the exported wiki and mark it as "already added" at this place. However I don't see a point in contribution to exported wiki articles since we have got an SC1 new wiki, let's be consistent. In my opinion contribution to knowledge base consists of two essential parts 1) finding a place for the new information and 2) putting information there. If we want to move forward we need to keep everything organized in the first place. I thought this thread served the purpose to discuss organization means but not the content itself, but whatever.

Then about this wiki article: Quirks and Nuances. Lanthanide, I don't have problems with accessing and modifying it, but I think you must register to be able to do it. I really don't know what was your problem. This article contains some great info, but I recall it was a bit inaccurate at places. I actually have an extended version of it which I've written around a year ago in Russian. Still can't find a moral strength to translate it and put it there though :-_-:

A little about the content. I think the "useless" pages that describe such well known things as units, spells, triggers actions and conditions are in fact an essential part of the knowledge base, they give a solid ground to build the more advanced stuff. Then these basic pages may in fact contain some important information. For example an Enshare spell page could contain information about spell duration (off the top of my head I don't know where to look this kind of info if I needed it). Or as the other example a "useless" Restoration spell info page besides it's general description may contain information about that it can't target stasised units that were made vulnerable by triggers. On the other side the same information is connected with the Stasis spell page and even with Invincibility unit property and Set Invincibility trigger action. That way this piece of information makes up it's own nuance page which is linked from the both places. That way trigger actions and conditions pages may also contain a list of quirks and nuances links associated with the appropriate entries.

Also as stated by Lanthanide there are two sorts of articles: those that simply state information about game mechanics (or SC engine), and articles that are effectively tutorials about how to achieve a particular goal. Articles of the second type use information of the first type articles as building bricks to build something that we call a system. In my opinion it is very important to distinguish between these two kinds of articles. Articles of the first type should only contain a reference information as a solid and can be used with more experienced mappers, while articles of the second type may provide deep explanations on how to do this or that kind of thing for the rest. For instance the article about hyper triggers is an article of the second type, because it explains how to build upon the side effect of the wait action to achieve the certain effect. If there was a page about the wait action itself explaining it's behavior, it was the article of the first type.

I guess you may see my view of categorization now. The idea behind this is to split everything on the very small basic information bricks and interconnect them together so that each piece of repetitive information is put onto it's own page and isn't duplicated anywhere in the wiki.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Oct 11 2011, 11:27 am by Wormer.

Some.

Oct 11 2011, 12:01 pm Wormer Post #26

The quick organizational questions are:
1. Are we going to support Starcraft 2 in the SC1 new wiki? I would say no, right?
2. Is it possible to delete a category page?

Some.

Oct 11 2011, 12:05 pm DevliN Post #27

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

1. Nope, we have the GalaxyWiki for our SC2 stuff. Unfortunately, we're basically either waiting for Devourer to change the navbar so it includes the SC1 Wiki link, or we're waiting for Cecil to start and finish the new version of the site (which will take a long, long while).
2. Sort of, but it would be easier to just not use the Category.

My Overwatch addiction.

Oct 11 2011, 1:32 pm Wormer Post #28

Why I am wondering about categories is because their current naming conventions contradict with the fact that wiki isn't going to be used as a source of information related to SC2. I also can't find a distinct explanation of the intended purpose of the wiki. You of course know, there is already a comprehensive wiki resource about StarCraft universe at http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/StarCraft_Wiki and we can't embrace the whole thing in our wiki. But that is not needed. My vision of the purpose of the new wiki is that it may become a comprehensive storage of all the invaluable information about game mechanics and common mapping practices and methods we have at our disposal.

That way, when trying to make several new categories and put some order I've immediately encountered the following conventions dilemma: should I continue to use the useless StarCraft prefix for new categories or we should review articles naming conventions. Because since wiki is devoted solely to StarCraft and StarCraft: Brood War all the StarCraft prefixes for articles seem at least redundant, cluttering and confusing.

Some.

Oct 12 2011, 6:35 pm Wormer Post #29

Been working on the new wiki since my last post. Got something to discuss there: Wiki discussion page.

Some.

Oct 25 2011, 9:46 am Lanthanide Post #30

Another quirk worth recording:
When units are ordered to JYD, if they start attacking a unit that becomes unattackable but has not died, they will cancel the JYD and move back to their original spawn locations on the map. In my case it was spider mines that were created and mutalisks set to JYD would attack them until the mines burrowed and then they'd fly back to their original spawn spot. I really had no idea wtf was going on but eventually found it. Not sure if setting units they were attacking to invulnerable would cause the same effect or not.

None.

Oct 26 2011, 7:35 am Wormer Post #31

Interesting piece of info. Please put it there as well.

Some.

Nov 20 2012, 9:32 am DevliN Post #32

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Now that there's a link to the SC1 Wiki, I'm gonna start going through and seeing what hasn't been added to it yet. Below are the same lists from the OP, and everything in red has been brought over already.

Terrain and map editing
Fog of War
]Map Layers
Terrain
Null Terrain
Sprites
Simple Waterfall Terrain
Scmdraft 2 Terrain Layer Reference
Terrain planning and development
Introduction to terrain blending
Terrain Type Elevations
Using Scmdraft 2's Subtile Tool
Tiles properties
Comprehensive Bridge Tutorial

General info / Trigger info and techniques
Triggers: The Fundamentals - Part of the "Triggers" article
Starcraft Quirks and Nuances
Units (Types)
Heroes
Unit Speeds
Unit Sizes
Crashlist [Things that can crash starcraft]
List of units that crash starcraft - Added to the Crash List article
Kill Scores
HP/Shield/Energy Regeneration formulas
Hyper Triggers
Wait Blocks
Counter Arithmetic
Forces
Players
Strings
Map Limits
Switches
Binary Countoffs
Bring
Death Counters
Colors list
Upgrades
Single Player Cheats
Wav Files
Anti-Lifting off
Damage Order of Operations
Spells (Zerg)
Spells (Terran)
Spells (Protoss)
Disabled Sprite Effects
Stacking Units/Buildings
Place COP
Nuclear Missile Damage
Basics of UMS Mapping
Shift Locations
Spider Mine
Mission Briefings
Campaign AI script description

Trigger systems / tutorials
Virtual Hit Points
Kills To Cash
Selection Systems
Changing Minerals Mined
Grid Systems
Modifying Supply Limits
Ammo Systems
Automatic Doors
Burrow Detection
Dark Swarm Firing System
Balancing Guide
Cloaking (Disabling doodad state)
Invisible Bunkers
Immobilizing Units
Crystallic Cannons
Resource Sharing
Play a sound when a unit walks
Randomization
Balanced Melee Mapping
Changing Unit Wireframes
Overlapping Text in Unit Names - Part of "Strings"
Increasing Map Speed (1.15)
Detecting Map Max
Invisible and Removed (but shooting) Bunkers
Recall Animation
EUDs
Queue or Exclusive Triggers
Inverted Locations
Waypoint Casting system
Direct Damage System (DDS)
Unit Coordinate Detection
Location Grids
Changing Portraits for flags.
Ordering and Using Interceptors/Scarabs
Creep Manipulation

Modding / technical reference
Running StarCraft Mods
Adding .trg headers to a .got template
Changing Unit Speeds
MemGraft Tutorial
Creating an attack via Iscript.bin
scenario.chk format
Downgrading StarCraft
Simple Datediting
Starcraft 1.14 Memory Map
Modding Files Overview
Starcraft Replay/Packet Opcodes
AIScript.bin Opcodes
Units.dat entry listing
Techdata.dat Entry Listing
Upgrades.dat Entry Listing
Orders.dat Entry Listing
Modders Crash Checklist
Newbs Guide to Modding
Firegraft Tricks
Terrain Format
*.trg format
Making a Civilian Trainable
Packet Commands
iscript.bin Opcodes
Graphics Editing, How To
Making Weapons go Through targets
Phase Disruptor 2.0
Disco Marines!
General Modding Resource
TBLPad Hotkey String Format
IceCC animations
Tips for Tedious Coding
Bin Dialog Reference
Bin dialog file format
Javascript
GRP image format
Font File Format (Unencrypted)
SPK Format
cmdicons.grp
Port forwarding
Creating Bouncing Weapons
(native) Starcraft Hoykeys

Post has been edited 31 time(s), last time on Nov 24 2012, 8:25 pm by DevliN.

My Overwatch addiction.

Nov 20 2012, 12:06 pm Oh_Man Post #33

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

Will type for minerals.

Nov 20 2012, 5:36 pm DevliN Post #34

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

No thanks. It isn't difficult copying and pasting them to the new wiki, so I can just do it myself. Of course if anyone else feels like doing it as well, they can, but at this rate I'm not interested in giving out minerals for it anymore.

My Overwatch addiction.

Nov 22 2012, 3:51 am Leeroy_Jenkins Post #35

Quote from DevliN
No thanks. It isn't difficult copying and pasting them to the new wiki, so I can just do it myself. Of course if anyone else feels like doing it as well, they can, but at this rate I'm not interested in giving out minerals for it anymore.

How long has the new wiki been almost useless? Why not just give out (worthless) minerals to speed up the process?

None.

Nov 22 2012, 4:06 am DevliN Post #36

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

It hasn't been useless, it just hasn't been updated. Not to mention the link has been hidden this whole time, so it's not like that's really relevant anyway.

We tried something similar in the past and there wasn't a huge increase in the tutorials going over. If people want them transferred over sooner, they can speed up the process by transferring them over. Otherwise I'll do it myself, and I plan to spend a good chunk of this evening and most of Friday doing so.

My Overwatch addiction.

Nov 22 2012, 7:36 am Lanthanide Post #37

Part of the problem (IMO) with the new wiki is people started adding pages that realistically we just don't need - we don't need pages about all of the standard stats about different units or buildings etc. That stuff can be found elsewhere on the internet / battle.net pages, we don't need to duplicate all of it here. I'm not saying we shouldn't have it (more stuff is always better), just that it's a waste of time putting effort into making those pages that would be better off put into something else - having a half-completed unit section is pretty useless.

None.

Nov 22 2012, 8:15 am DevliN Post #38

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I agree, but for now my goal is to put everything from the Oldwiki on the new one to start.

My Overwatch addiction.

Nov 25 2012, 6:58 pm jjf28 Post #39

Cartography Artisan

Good Work!

TheNitesWhoSay - Clan Aura - github

Reached the top of StarCraft theory crafting 2:12 AM CST, August 2nd, 2014.

Nov 25 2012, 7:36 pm DevliN Post #40

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

More like Good Work!. :awesome:

Yeah, I changed all the categories as it seemed like there were way too many. Now you can see every article by going to the "StarCraft" category. All general reference articles are in "Reference" and all tutorial articles are in "Tutorials", without any specific subdivisions. You can also sort by "UMS", "Melee", and "Modding". I still have a handful of things to bring over from the modding stuff, but everything else is now in the new SEN Wiki.

My Overwatch addiction.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum