Staredit Network > Forums > Games > Topic: Dota 2?!?
Dota 2?!?
Oct 13 2010, 5:45 pm
By: ShredderIV
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 6 >

Aug 17 2011, 9:57 pm Zycorax Post #61

Grand Moderator of the Games Forum

TF2 meets WC3. Watched a few minutes of a match live on Steam.

Aug 18 2011, 1:47 am Excalibur Post #62

The sword and the faith

I have high hopes for this because it costs money. I'd like the LoL people to stay there and not mess things up for the rest of us.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Aug 18 2011, 2:29 am Dem0n Post #63

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Quote from Excalibur
I have high hopes for this because it costs money. I'd like the LoL people to stay there and not mess things up for the rest of us.
W-wha...whaatt??? What the fuck does money have to do with this? Spending money != good product (see: Starcraft 2).

Aug 18 2011, 2:32 am l)ark_ssj9kevin Post #64

Just here for the activity... well not really

Quote from name:Dem0nS1ayer
Quote from Excalibur
W-wha...whaatt??? What the fuck does money have to do with this? Spending money != good product (see: Starcraft 2).
He meant the playerbase, not the game itself.

guy lifting weight (animated smiley):

O-IC
OI-C

"Oh, I see it"

Aug 18 2011, 2:35 am Alzarath Post #65

Praetor

Please, I'm sure some people have spent more on LoL than any other game they've played.

None.

Aug 18 2011, 6:48 am Riney Post #66

Thigh high affectionado

I used to spend every waking moment on Starcraft. This was for 5 years.

Idk man. I like LoL and all, but I wont worship it like a god. I do respect it as a well made game though, that will continue to entertain players as long as they get off their asses and work on it. See Dominion

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

-- Updated as of December 2021 --

Aug 18 2011, 8:30 am UnholyUrine Post #67

I'd hate to say it.. but the commentaries really ruined the experience
it also sounds pretty Item heavy.. which is a negative for me...
it also looks pretty much the same as other dota-esque games.. makes sense, since it's DOTA 2 after all..
but I didn't see anything jump out at me to tell me to buy this game instead of playing LoL (not that I play LoL)

EDIT: However, if I used to play Dota.. this game'd be on my list

None.

Aug 18 2011, 9:18 am DevliN Post #68

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I think I've probably gotten used to how much space LoL's UI gives me to see everything, but when I was watching those games all I could think about was how much unnecessary empty space there was. Maybe it was just the resolution of those screens, but it sure did seem like the whole bottom area and the top bar took up more room than necessary. :/

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 18 2011, 9:40 am by DevliN.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Aug 18 2011, 7:52 pm Riney Post #69

Thigh high affectionado

Quote from DevliN
I think I've probably gotten used to how much space LoL's UI gives me to see everything, but when I was watching those games all I could think about was how much unnecessary empty space there was. Maybe it was just the resolution of those screens, but it sure did seem like the whole bottom area and the top bar took up more room than necessary. :/

I especially like how you can turn off the useless white space in League as well. This interface looks clunky and bulky for no reason.

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

Aug 18 2011, 10:19 pm Decency Post #70

UI's are pretty much the least important thing to worry about- the game isn't even in beta yet.

Also, @Excalibur, it may end up being F2P after all: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-18-newell-dota-2-wont-ship-until-2012

None.

Aug 18 2011, 11:57 pm Sand Wraith Post #71

she/her

HoN aesthetics > DotA 2

DotA 2 Hero pool > HoN

I thought about this for awhile with help from devilesk. The above are my conclusions.

Aug 19 2011, 5:42 am TiKels Post #72

Quote from name:Artanis186
Please, I'm sure some people have spent more on LoL than any other game they've played.

Quote from Riney
I used to spend every waking moment on Starcraft. This was for 5 years.

Idk man. I like LoL and all, but I wont worship it like a god. I do respect it as a well made game though, that will continue to entertain players as long as they get off their asses and work on it. See Dominion
I think he meant spending money, not time, given the context...

But also I think despite this, an upfront cost discourages people from playing even if they will end up paying for things once they get hooked.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 19 2011, 5:51 am by TiKels.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Aug 19 2011, 11:12 am NudeRaider Post #73

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from TiKels
But also I think despite this, an upfront cost discourages people from playing even if they will end up paying for things once they get hooked.
True. I wish you could still buy HoN for 7€ while it's f2p. It's so cheap that this barrier is really low. Try it with a f2p account then like and buy it.

Aug 19 2011, 10:06 pm Riney Post #74

Thigh high affectionado

Quote from NudeRaider
Quote from TiKels
True. I wish you could still buy HoN for 7€ while it's f2p. It's so cheap that this barrier is really low. Try it with a f2p account then like and buy it.

One of my more favored systems personally.

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

Aug 19 2011, 10:13 pm Decency Post #75

Posted this in a reddit thread today on the topic:

I actually never imagined myself saying this, having never been an MMO player, but I don't think that a subscription fee would be a terrible choice. In fact, it's probably the business model of the future.

Rationale:

- Obviously pay for power is idiotic, putting that in DotA 2 would be foolhardy at best and absolutely game-destroying at worst. Microtransactions purely for cosmetic differences in my opinion could not come close to properly sustaining a game that's competitively oriented: a lot of players like myself simply don't care about that kind of stuff.
- Taking a cut of tournament fees discourages eSports. That's the last thing Valve should want to be doing- this is an absolute no to me.
- Many DotA players come from SEA countries where it's highly unusual for a game to have an upfront cost. Some of those players would be put off in the event of DotA 2 being a $60 game- not a good start.
- New players aren't hit with a ridiculous price for wanting to give the game a try. The genre is well known for being not for everyone, and that turned a lot of people away from HoN when it was pay-to-play- those players went to LoL. With a subscription fee (plus perhaps even a first-month free trial model) they can introduce new players to the game easily and in a non-punishing fashion... at least economically.
- WoW is enormous, it's a given that this model can succeed.

tl;dr: $3 a month/$30 a year is brilliant.

None.

Aug 20 2011, 3:30 am LoveLess Post #76

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

Quote from Lingie
That is definitly not true. HoN and LoL have a larger community, and a large fan base then DotA could have ever achieved, so in no way does it have less competition. Granted, DotA achieved a lot being but a map stolen and modified several times on WC3. Everyone has their own story though, so onward.
:facepalm: You must be kidding. It has more than both combined, it is the eSport of choice for Germany and China. Not to mention that I looked at how many viewers were listed on own3d.tv for just the ENGLISH stream: Over 5 million. Five Fucking Million unique IP were watching that stream. I believe I remember someone comparing the view counts at the time of discussion, he said there was 250,000. I think DOTA2 wins.

Quote from Lingie
HoN is different then DotA, LoL is different then DotA. DotA 2 is going to be different then DotA. In the end now, they're all also different games, and each have different strategies. I definitly believe entirely that its wrong to say that DotA players are better then LoL simply because the hero rotation is a different, and HoN now as well, since it lost its ties to DotA because of all that copyright bullshit.
That is where you are wrong, the only thing that is changing from DotA: Allstars to DOTA2 is the appearances, some of the names and maybe a few of their heroes' themes (such as the pandas). The game is literally being translated directly, just using a new engine and cell shading which according to most people I have talked about the change say, "Is easier on the eyes and doesn't give you that stare at a screen all day feeling." Every hero's ability I have seen on DOTA2 is just prettier graphics and maybe a few stat changes, but overall, I have seen no change that would do what you say it does.

None.

Aug 20 2011, 4:36 am Riney Post #77

Thigh high affectionado

Quote from LoveLess
That is where you are wrong, the only thing that is changing from DotA: Allstars to DOTA2 is the appearances, some of the names and maybe a few of their heroes' themes (such as the pandas).

No map change yet? Seriously how much can that busted old thing last? Cant we see at LEAST a new map.

Even Bungie's got the balls to change Blood Gulch

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

Aug 20 2011, 6:30 am Decency Post #78

They're adding other maps, but there's no reason to change the original.

None.

Aug 20 2011, 2:40 pm Sand Wraith Post #79

she/her

Quote from name:FaZ-
They're adding other maps, but there's no reason to change the original.

Isn't there a Sentinel v Scourge win rate discrepancy? Is that still present in the DotA?

AFAIK, Scourge/Hellbourne have always been favoured, and in HoN the map was modified accordingly.

Aug 20 2011, 7:51 pm Decency Post #80

HoN has been pretty balanced, I don't know if anyone's run the stats for DotA yet but people seem to agree the Northeast team still has an edge.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 6 >
  Back to forum