Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: What is your religion/belief?
What is your religion/belief?
Sep 4 2009, 3:55 am
By: Madroc
Pages: < 1 « 6 7 8 9 1014 >

Polls
What is your main religion/belief?
What is your main religion/belief?
Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
Christianity 21

29%
None.
Judaism 1

2%
None.
Buddhism 1

2%
None.
Hinduism 0

0%
None.
Islam 1

2%
None.
Muslim 0

0%
None.
Chinese Traditional 1

2%
None.
Primal Indigenous 1

2%
None.
Atheism 23

31%
None.
Agnostic 16

22%
None.
Other 10

14%
None.
Please login to vote.
Poll has 75 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Oct 1 2009, 5:33 am KrayZee Post #141

Quote from Norm
Why would god eat Mexican food to begin with when he could have Chinese or Pizza instead?
You don't know where he referenced that quote from. :P

None.

Oct 1 2009, 6:08 am Norm Post #142

Quote from KrayZee
Quote from Norm
Why would god eat Mexican food to begin with when he could have Chinese or Pizza instead?
You don't know where he referenced that quote from. :P

Regardless, those are both better options.

None.

Oct 1 2009, 7:33 am MasterJohnny Post #143

Quote from CecilSunkure
Quote from MasterJohnny
It's also possible that God was omnipotent at first, but in creation of the Universe, he was trapped in the celestials and could only speak through the words of (I haven't studied the Bible, so correct me) the Prophet, Jesus.
And in that case, we only call him God because we are fearful that he will send us to Hell, but in reality, that's all he can do. He cannot truly smite* evil, but only punish them once they already die.
Ironically, however, the way he smites evil is by saying he smites evil. Paradox, heh.
In the first sentence, if God were omnipotent, he wouldn't have become trapped.

Why are you ruining my name? I would never say something like that. God does not exist! l)ark_ssj9kevin stated this quote Not I.

Also I wish some of you would stop using religious arguments. They do not useful because they are faith and not proof of anything.

I am a Mathematician

Oct 1 2009, 9:09 am Jack Post #144

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from MasterJohnny
Quote from CecilSunkure
Quote from MasterJohnny
It's also possible that God was omnipotent at first, but in creation of the Universe, he was trapped in the celestials and could only speak through the words of (I haven't studied the Bible, so correct me) the Prophet, Jesus.
And in that case, we only call him God because we are fearful that he will send us to Hell, but in reality, that's all he can do. He cannot truly smite* evil, but only punish them once they already die.
Ironically, however, the way he smites evil is by saying he smites evil. Paradox, heh.
In the first sentence, if God were omnipotent, he wouldn't have become trapped.

Also I wish some of you would stop using religious arguments. They do not useful because they are faith and not proof of anything.
We are proving what we have faith in. It's debatable whether it's actually a useful debate though.

And it's 'they ARE not useful', not 'they DO not useful.'

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Oct 1 2009, 10:54 am Vi3t-X Post #145

Less arguing. More voting.
An angry Moose is a vengeful Moose.

None.

Oct 1 2009, 1:21 pm CecilSunkure Post #146

Quote from MasterJohnny
Why are you ruining my name? I would never say something like that. God does not exist! l)ark_ssj9kevin stated this quote Not I.
Oops, lemme fix. A thousand apologies kind sir ;o

None.

Oct 1 2009, 6:05 pm Fierce Post #147

Quote from name:zany_001
WE ARE ON A ROCK, FLYING THROUGH SPACE!

Also, prove that souls don't exist.

You can't prove that souls exist. We can't prove that they don't exist either. You're asking for an impossible task.

I don't quite understand what you mean by the "WE ARE ON A ROCK, FLYING THROUGH SPACE!" statement..

(also, if I haven't mentioned it yet in this topic, I am an Atheist)

None.

Oct 1 2009, 7:18 pm Jack Post #148

Quote from Fierce

You can't prove that souls exist. We can't prove that they don't exist either. You're asking for an impossible task.

I don't quite understand what you mean by the "WE ARE ON A ROCK, FLYING THROUGH SPACE!" statement..

(also, if I haven't mentioned it yet in this topic, I am an Atheist)
The soul thing? I realize that now, we were discussing it in the shoutbox.

And the rock through space thing is an inside joke, but basically it means, look at the bigger picture, is what we are discussing really that important?

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Oct 2 2009, 12:05 am MasterJohnny Post #149

I always thought that when people were saying that the rock flying through space was a reference to this comic

Which means you can make anything sound crazy :lol:

I am a Mathematician

Oct 2 2009, 12:33 am BeDazed Post #150

Which means you can make anything sound crazy :lol:
It also means you can make anything sound intelligent and convincing.
On a further note, you are not the latter.

None.

Oct 2 2009, 12:38 am CecilSunkure Post #151

Cells are the basic units of life.
All life is made of cells, and all cells come from pre-existing cells.
We are indeed alive.
Cells are irreducibly complex.
All cells are made of matter.
Matter does not act -it only reacts.
Hence, matter has no "soul" nor free will.
Cells have no "soul" nor free will.
We are made of cells; we have no "soul" nor free will.

None.

Oct 2 2009, 12:58 am Jack Post #152

Quote from CecilSunkure
Cells are the basic units of life.
All life is made of cells, and all cells come from pre-existing cells.
We are indeed alive.
Cells are irreducibly complex.
All cells are made of matter.
Matter does not act -it only reacts.
Hence, matter has no "soul" nor free will.
Cells have no "soul" nor free will.
We are made of cells; we have no "soul" nor free will.
Souls aren't composed of matter, and because of that, you can't measure them, and can't scientifically prove or disprove that souls exist or are linked to our body in any way. So your argument and proof doesn't help.

Also. Lift your hand up and wave it in the air please. Who made that hand lift up in the air? Did God grab your hand and lift it up? Did a strange and mysterious process involving all the cells in your body working together as a result of outside stimulation lift it up? Who made that hand lift up?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 2 2009, 1:01 am by zany_001. Reason: [s]Typo[/s]phalanx of light

Red classic.

Oct 2 2009, 1:04 am Moose Post #153

We live in a society.

Quote from MasterJohnny
I always thought that when people were saying that the rock flying through space was a reference to this comic
It's a reference to this. I hadn't seen the comic until now.

Oct 2 2009, 1:06 am CecilSunkure Post #154

Souls aren't composed of matter, and because of that, you can't measure them, and can't scientifically prove or disprove that souls exist or are linked to our body in any way. So your argument and proof doesn't help.
You can't scientifically prove? But you just saying so proves a whole lot.. Doesn't it. How do you know souls aren't composed of matter. How do you know my body is composed of more than just matter. Do cells have free will or a soul? If not, then why would a collection of them have one?

None.

Oct 2 2009, 1:10 am Jack Post #155

Because God/providence/evolution/mahatma ghandi stuck it there.

And you know they aren't composed of matter because people have dissected bodies a lot but can't find the 'soul organ' anywhere.

Red classic.

Oct 2 2009, 1:12 am poison_us Post #156

Back* from the grave

Quote from rayNimagi
Have you considered that he's joking a bit?

Oct 2 2009, 1:14 am Jack Post #157

Quote from poison_us
Quote from rayNimagi
Have you considered that he's joking a bit?
Cecil isn't exactly a joker, no offense..

Red classic.

Oct 2 2009, 1:53 am l)ark_ssj9kevin Post #158

Just here for the activity... well not really

I thought it was a reference to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THooC676t2A

guy lifting weight (animated smiley):

O-IC
OI-C

"Oh, I see it"

Oct 2 2009, 2:57 am rayNimagi Post #159

@rayNimagi You may think evil is relative, but if there is a god at all, of any religion, and judgement day comes around, do you really think that that god will care if you say,'I can't go to hell(or the religions equivalent), evil is relative!' That god will say,'No, evil is what I say it is!' and boot you into hell. Evil is NOT relative.

What I'm saying here is this:

The observations of humans are prone to errors.
The only way of knowing what the/a god defines as evil as if he/she specifically could tell a human what is "evil" and what is "good."

Therefore, if a god existed and told a human, the human's observation has the possibility of being incorrect. After all, any amount of logical reasoning could tell you over ~2000 years the "word of god" has changed enough so that "evil" has been relative to time and place (a.k.a the Christian Bible was written by men and modified both intentionally and unintentionally (via integration to indigenous beliefs, translation, etc.). For example, in pre-civil war American history, white Christians enslaved Africans and believed god had made them "inferior beings." If you, zany, had lived in that time, you would have probably believed that too. Does that make it right to hold slaves if the church declares it to be right?

Win by luck, lose by skill.

Oct 2 2009, 3:12 am CecilSunkure Post #160

Quote from rayNimagi
The observations of humans are prone to errors.
Including that observation I presume?

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 6 7 8 9 1014 >
  Back to forum