Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: What is your religion/belief?
What is your religion/belief?
Sep 4 2009, 3:55 am
By: Madroc
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6 7 814 >

Polls
What is your main religion/belief?
What is your main religion/belief?
Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
Christianity 21

29%
None.
Judaism 1

2%
None.
Buddhism 1

2%
None.
Hinduism 0

0%
None.
Islam 1

2%
None.
Muslim 0

0%
None.
Chinese Traditional 1

2%
None.
Primal Indigenous 1

2%
None.
Atheism 23

31%
None.
Agnostic 16

22%
None.
Other 10

14%
None.
Please login to vote.
Poll has 75 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Sep 30 2009, 10:13 pm l)ark_ssj9kevin Post #101

Just here for the activity... well not really

It's also possible that God was omnipotent at first, but in creation of the Universe, he was trapped in the celestials and could only speak through the words of (I haven't studied the Bible, so correct me) the Prophet, Jesus.
And in that case, we only call him God because we are fearful that he will send us to Hell, but in reality, that's all he can do. He cannot truly smite* evil, but only punish them once they already die.
Ironically, however, the way he smites evil is by saying he smites evil. Paradox, heh.

*using smite as a synonym for "destroying evil"

guy lifting weight (animated smiley):

O-IC
OI-C

"Oh, I see it"

Sep 30 2009, 10:18 pm Jack Post #102

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from l)ark_ssj9kevin
It's also possible that God was omnipotent at first, but in creation of the Universe, he was trapped in the celestials and could only speak through the words of (I haven't studied the Bible, so correct me) the Prophet, Jesus.
And in that case, we only call him God because we are fearful that he will send us to Hell, but in reality, that's all he can do. He cannot truly smite* evil, but only punish them once they already die.
Ironically, however, the way he smites evil is by saying he smites evil. Paradox, heh.

*using smite as a synonym for "destroying evil"
I've never heard that view before...all I can say is it's unsubstantiated and not mentioned in the Bible. Definitely unBiblical, in fact, because it is clear that God is omnipotent, so the idea of getting 'stuck' is laughable.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Sep 30 2009, 11:08 pm ClansAreForGays Post #103

Quote from name:zany_001
4. If God is morally perfect, then God has the desire to eliminate all evil.
This bit, not so much. How do you know that? Citation from the Bible needed.
I'm gonna have to ask you to open your mind a little bit wider. It's a default trait of omnibenevolence.
How do you know? Have you personally met God and He told you that omnibenevolent beings have this habit of wanting to eliminate evil? are omnibenevolent?
Are you arguing it is more benevolent to allow evil than not have there be any evil? If yes, I kindly refer you to the end of revelations, where there is no evil or choice of evil, but this is seen as a good thing.

Again, desire to eliminate all evil, how do you know? However, that's not the major problem. The major problem is that isn't ENOUGH to disprove God. You see, God does what HE wants, not what we think He wants. The Bible explains what He wants. And He is willing to allow evil into this world, TO A SMALL EXTENT, and why? (MA or someone correct me if I'm wrong) It's a simple answer, and the reason God does anything: He does so for His own glory.
Who is he trying to impress?
No one. Who said anything about impressing anyone?
You're going to have to explain this glory-motivation thing to me.

And it wouldn't give much glory if He made perfect people, who didn't sin, and had eternal life.
This way, He takes sinners, and through His grace, forgives them and gives them eternal life.
I dunno, I'd be pretty glory-impressed if everything someone made was perfect. More impressed than if they made everything imperfect, but 'fixed' a few things. Your god sounds like a glutton for this glory stuff.
Everything WAS perfect. But God decided to let man have free will, so man stuffed up.
I'm gonna be lazy here. Everything that happens is God's will. God set us up to fail.
Sigh. No. I prefer showing God the respect that He deserves.
*VIRTUAL SIGH*
Quote from "God"
Thank you for capitalizing my pronouns, good and faithful servant.

A new point just for you: Do you believe perfection begets perfection, or do you think something perfect can create or give rise to something imperfect?

Sep 30 2009, 11:33 pm KrayZee Post #104

The more I see of these arguments about the invisible giant who can do anything, the more I shrug. If only the Great Awakening did not exist...

God, please kill me with the most intense death of all, RIGHT NOW! If you don't, bah. But I wish I could get rid of this atomic bomb of a headache I've had for a while.

Edit: Still alive.

None.

Oct 1 2009, 12:32 am MillenniumArmy Post #105

I'll bite.

That which results in pain or hatred.

I'm not shy to say this is the bedrock of my atheism. So even if you don't end up completely disproving Epicurus, putting a scratch on it would at least effect my world view.
Well, that wasn't exactly the type of answer I was looking for, but alright I'll move on.

One of the problems I see people make, both christians and non alike, is the tendency to see evil as a being. If evil was a being, a thing, then that whole argument would be completely valid, cuz then it says that either God made it - thus not being an good God - or God did not make it - thus not being the all-power creator of all things. But evil is not a thing, things are not evil in themselves. For instance a sword is not evil, even the stroke of the sword that chops off your head is not evil in its being - in fact, unless it is a "good" stroke it will not chop off your head.

Where is the evil? It is in the will, the choice, the intent, the movement of the soul, which puts a wrong order into the physical world of things and acts. Evil is real, but not a real thing if you get what I mean. It's not subjective but it is not an entity. It is a wrong relationship, a nonconformity between our will and God's will.

Another problem I see is the confusion between two very different kinds of evil: moral evil and physical evil. The distinction between sin and suffering, the evil we actively do and the evil we passively suffer, the evil we freely will and the evil that is against our will, the evil we are directly responsible for and the evil we are not. We need two different explanations for these two different kinds of evil, to explain both their causes and their cures. The origin of sin is human free will and the immediate origin of suffering is nature, or rather the relationship between ourselves and nature (we stub our toe, get pneumonia, drown, etc.) Thus God is off the hook for sin, but not for suffering, it seems - unless the origin of suffering can also be traced to sin. This is what the story in Genesis 3 does.

The bottom line is: God did not make it; we did (free will.) This is where it might be a bit of a stretch for many of you. So the reason I very much dislike Epicurus's argument is because of its very limited perspective (and that it is apparent that the "evil" he's referring to is a thing which God is responsible for whether intentionally or not.)

It's not so much "disproving" epicurus' arguments, but more like there are better questions to ask (and the answers to those will have a great impact on our worldly/spiritual views, even the validity of his arguments.) In my opinion, what we all should be asking is why do we have free will (or if we want to go deeper, which we have discussed many times in the past, what is free will?) Why didn't God just make us obedient robots who automatically obey everything he does? This is a completely different issue altogether and something even we today talk about very much and is one of many arguments or questions non believers ask which has more thought and allows more open minded thinking.
Not saying that we should make or restart a thread on free will immediately, but if you really want to question the problem of evil and/or perhaps the omnipotence, omniscense, and benevolence (or lack thereof) then the problem comes down to free will.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 1 2009, 12:43 am by MillenniumArmy.

None.

Oct 1 2009, 12:54 am Vi3t-X Post #106

What about the choice to disown choice?

None.

Oct 1 2009, 1:30 am FatalException Post #107

A few things: Definition of 'benevolent'
Definition of 'evil'

Moving right along, you're entirely misunderstanding Epicurus' argument and going off on a tangent. You know exactly what he means:
1. Bad things happen.
2. God doesn't like bad things.
3. God is omnipotent.
4. God is omniscient.
5. Why are there bad things?

It's obvious that God loves destroying things that he's not ok with (Remember what happened to Sodom and Gomorrah? How about Cain?), so why doesn't that happen anymore? Why isn't God out destroying all the evil right now if he's omnipotent, omniscient, and benevolent? He can see it, he can destroy is, and he should want to destroy it, as we've seen in earlier examples, so either he is not one of those three things, or doesn't exist. Also, CAFG was referring to chapters 21 and 22 of the Book of Revalations, in which Heaven and Earth are recreated without pain or suffering, so Kaias' point is invalid, or the Bible is.

Another thing from Revelation that I'd like to point out is the following summary of chapter 20:
An Angel comes down with a huge chain. It seizes dragon and chains him up for a thousand years. He is thrown down into abyss and held for a thousand years, after which he is to be released for a short time. John saw the spirits of those who had been martyred for Jesus or had not received the mark of the beast. They reign with God for a thousand years. This is the First Resurrection. After one thousand years, Satan will be released. He will seduce all nations of the earth for battle and muster troops of Gog and Magog. He invaded the country and surrounded the holy city where God's people were encamped. Fire comes down from Heaven and devours them. The Devil is thrown into a pool of burning sulfur. All living and dead are judged.
If he can do that, why not do it ALL THE TIME?

None.

Oct 1 2009, 1:56 am MillenniumArmy Post #108

1. Bad things happen.
3. God is omnipotent.
4. God is omniscient.
Because we made them happen. This is exactly what I've been saying the whole time. Remember, if God simply eliminates all bad things that we made, then that's the same as us living life as obedient robots with no free will (again the subject of free will and why we have this is something entirely different.) The point I'm making about epicurus' arguments is that its perspective is too narrow and that there's a bigger picture than that.

EDIT: About those examples in the Bible. Why doesn't God do all that? I'll be honest with you; I really don't know. I don't know if all those examples are simply metaphoric descriptions of events or not, but that's why I continually to study the Bible every week hoping to find answers.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 1 2009, 2:08 am by MillenniumArmy.

None.

Oct 1 2009, 2:03 am Neki Post #109

While we're on the topic of God, could God heat a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it? I've always wanted to know the reasoning behind the answer.

None.

Oct 1 2009, 2:06 am dumbducky Post #110

Maybe. :P

tits

Oct 1 2009, 2:13 am Norm Post #111

Why would god eat Mexican food to begin with when he could have Chinese or Pizza instead?

If he is OMNISCIENT, he should know that Mexican food will have him - well how does the old saying go? "Shitting out Bibles".

Also, I think if Mr. God could eliminate evil, he should start with unfriendly bowel movements.

None.

Oct 1 2009, 2:28 am Jack Post #112

Quote from name:Ultimo
While we're on the topic of God, could God heat a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it? I've always wanted to know the reasoning behind the answer.
He could, then He would eat it anyway.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 1 2009, 2:29 am by zany_001. Reason: The serious answer is 'Why would God do something so stupid

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Oct 1 2009, 2:28 am FatalException Post #113

Quote from MillenniumArmy
Because we made them happen. This is exactly what I've been saying the whole time. Remember, if God simply eliminates all bad things that we made, then that's the same as us living life as obedient robots with no free will (again the subject of free will and why we have this is something entirely different.)
Quote from FatalException
[...]chapters 21 and 22 of the Book of Revalations, in which Heaven and Earth are recreated without pain or suffering[...]
Do you think that in those chapters, we're obedient robots? Either way, if those chapters are true, then why would there be a problem with stopping us from doing bad things?

Also, if there is a God...

Then how come there's THIS?!

:P

None.

Oct 1 2009, 2:32 am Norm Post #114

My new religion/belief is that the BK King could totally hold his own in a fight vs any god. (Except maybe Zeus or Shiva, those gods would probably wipe the floor with BK King.)

None.

Oct 1 2009, 2:36 am FatalException Post #115

Shiva's got six arms, that's cheating. <.<

None.

Oct 1 2009, 2:36 am Kaias Post #116

Definition of 'evil'

Moving right along, you're entirely misunderstanding Epicurus' argument and going off on a tangent. You know exactly what he means:
1. Bad things happen.
3. God is omnipotent.
4. God is omniscient.

It's obvious that God loves destroying things that he's not ok with (Remember what happened to Sodom and Gomorrah? How about Cain?), so why doesn't that happen anymore? Why isn't God out destroying all the evil right now if he's omnipotent, omniscient, and benevolent? He can see it, he can destroy is, and he should want to destroy it, as we've seen in earlier examples, so either he is not one of those three things, or doesn't exist. Also, CAFG was referring to chapters 21 and 22 of the Book of Revalations, in which Heaven and Earth are recreated without pain or suffering, so Kaias' point is invalid, or the Bible is.

First, I am very aware of what evil and benevolent are defined as. Second, who said anything about the bible? You accuse me both of going off on a tangent and completely misunderstanding Epicurus' statements, while in reality you are guilty of the former and apparently of misunderstanding me.

In fact, you didn't address anything I talked about at all.

Quote from Kaias
Is God able and not willing? Then he is malevolent
This is where I take issue with your arguments. It assumes a lot about the nature of God and how one must/should run things.
The problem with Epicurus' arguments are the massive arbitrary assumptions he makes "about the nature of God and how one must/should run things".

Quote from Kaias
Is it benevolence to let no man experience pain, feel anguish, know sorrow? Can you really know happiness if you haven't experienced these things, if you haven't been devoid of joy?

It sounds to me like your idea of a benevolent god is an overprotective parent that never allows his kids to experience anything, make mistakes or be in any risk at all and ergo not let them grow or learn. I do not call that benevolence, I call that incompetence.
Wiktionary: "Possessing or manifesting love for mankind."
A jolly life of no hardship, mistake, pain, and thus no growth or agency is both meaningless and not love for mankind.

None.

Oct 1 2009, 2:37 am Norm Post #117

Shiva's got six arms, that's cheating. <.<

No way, it's called strategy. You're just jealous that your god is lame with only 2 arms.

None.

Oct 1 2009, 2:37 am Jack Post #118

Quote from MillenniumArmy
Because we made them happen. This is exactly what I've been saying the whole time. Remember, if God simply eliminates all bad things that we made, then that's the same as us living life as obedient robots with no free will (again the subject of free will and why we have this is something entirely different.)
[...]chapters 21 and 22 of the Book of Revalations, in which Heaven and Earth are recreated without pain or suffering[...]
Do you think that in those chapters, we're obedient robots? Either way, if those chapters are true, then why would there be a problem with stopping us from doing bad things?

Also, if there is a God...

Then how come there's THIS?!

:P
!!! That sceered me!

Red classic.

Oct 1 2009, 2:43 am FatalException Post #119

Quote from Kaias
Definition of 'evil'

1. Bad things happen.
3. God is omnipotent.
4. God is omniscient.

First, I am very aware of what evil and benevolent are defined as. Second, who said anything about the bible? You accuse me both of going off on a tangent and completely misunderstanding Epicurus' statements, while in reality you are guilty of the former and apparently of misunderstanding me.

In fact, you didn't address anything I talked about at all.

Quote from Kaias
Is God able and not willing? Then he is malevolent
This is where I take issue with your arguments. It assumes a lot about the nature of God and how one must/should run things.
The problem with Epicurus' arguments are the massive arbitrary assumptions he makes "about the nature of God and how one must/should run things".

Quote from Kaias
Is it benevolence to let no man experience pain, feel anguish, know sorrow? Can you really know happiness if you haven't experienced these things, if you haven't been devoid of joy?

It sounds to me like your idea of a benevolent god is an overprotective parent that never allows his kids to experience anything, make mistakes or be in any risk at all and ergo not let them grow or learn. I do not call that benevolence, I call that incompetence.
Wiktionary: "Possessing or manifesting love for mankind."
A jolly life of no hardship, mistake, pain, and thus no growth or agency is both meaningless and not love for mankind.
That post was more directed at MA, but, AGAIN:
You didn't address my (/CAFG's) point about Revelation, and your post was actually directed at me. I'd say Revelation was rather explicit "about the nature of God and how one must/should run things", wouldn't you?

None.

Oct 1 2009, 3:03 am Kaias Post #120

You didn't address my (/CAFG's) point about Revelation, and your post was actually directed at me. I'd say Revelation was rather explicit "about the nature of God and how one must/should run things", wouldn't you?
Once again you ignore the substance of my point. I said nothing about the bible and yet somehow
Quote from Kaias
Second, who said anything about the bible? You accuse me both of going off on a tangent and completely misunderstanding Epicurus' statements, while in reality you are guilty of the former and apparently of misunderstanding me.
...without pain or suffering, so Kaias' point is invalid, or the Bible is.
some biblical passage invalidates my argument.

This is the point where I stop assuming your intelligence. I'm done here.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6 7 814 >
  Back to forum