Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: What is your religion/belief?
What is your religion/belief?
Sep 4 2009, 3:55 am
By: Madroc
Pages: < 1 « 5 6 7 8 914 >

Polls
What is your main religion/belief?
What is your main religion/belief?
Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
Christianity 21

29%
None.
Judaism 1

2%
None.
Buddhism 1

2%
None.
Hinduism 0

0%
None.
Islam 1

2%
None.
Muslim 0

0%
None.
Chinese Traditional 1

2%
None.
Primal Indigenous 1

2%
None.
Atheism 23

31%
None.
Agnostic 16

22%
None.
Other 10

14%
None.
Please login to vote.
Poll has 75 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Oct 1 2009, 3:04 am rayNimagi Post #121

Quote from MillenniumArmy
Where is the evil? It is in the will, the choice, the intent, the movement of the soul, which puts a wrong order into the physical world of things and acts. Evil is real, but not a real thing if you get what I mean. It's not subjective but it is not an entity. It is a wrong relationship, a nonconformity between our will and God's will.

Evil is always relative. Just like "Justice is always relative to those in power. " (That's from a movie, but I forgot which one.)

Since I believe the Bible to be a product of men and not a god (keep in mind I am an atheist but not agnostic) you cannot believe what the Bible declares to be "sin" or "evil" to be what "god would want." There's a possibility god has purged all the "evil" and then went out to the celestial tavern for a couple of millennia.

In my opinion, what we all should be asking is why do we have free will (or if we want to go deeper, which we have discussed many times in the past, what is free will?) Why didn't God just make us obedient robots who automatically obey everything he does? This is a completely different issue altogether and something even we today talk about very much and is one of many arguments or questions non believers ask which has more thought and allows more open minded thinking

1. We can't really know if we have free will or not. For all we know, we could be god's science fair project, or a "dream within a dream." (That's Shakespeare.) But...

2. "Nature" intended us to replicate our DNA. Is god the same thing as nature?

btw,
Quote from Norm
My new religion/belief is that the BK King could totally hold his own in a fight vs any god. (Except maybe Zeus or Shiva, those gods would probably wipe the floor with BK King.)

You forgot about Chuck Norris.

Win by luck, lose by skill.

Oct 1 2009, 3:09 am Norm Post #122

Chuck Norris isn't a god. By the way, I have put a lot of thought into it, and I have decided that Osiris is the best god ever, far better than any other god. Osiris could easily beat up Jesus AND his dad at the same time. He is definitely the correct god.

None.

Oct 1 2009, 3:15 am FatalException Post #123

Quote from Kaias
Quote from FatalException
[...]chapters 21 and 22 of the Book of Revalations, in which Heaven and Earth are recreated without pain or suffering[...]
Do you think that in those chapters, we're obedient robots? Either way, if those chapters are true, then why would there be a problem with stopping us from doing bad things?
You didn't address my (/CAFG's) point about Revelation, and your post was actually directed at me. I'd say Revelation was rather explicit "about the nature of God and how one must/should run things", wouldn't you?
Once again you ignore the substance of my point. I said nothing about the bible and yet somehow
Quote from Kaias
Second, who said anything about the bible? You accuse me both of going off on a tangent and completely misunderstanding Epicurus' statements, while in reality you are guilty of the former and apparently of misunderstanding me.
...without pain or suffering, so Kaias' point is invalid, or the Bible is.
some biblical passage invalidates my argument.

This is the point where I stop assuming your intelligence. I'm done here.
... Are you serious? If you join an argument on Christianity, the Bible is THE ONLY PRIMARY SOURCE. You think that just because you didn't mention it, it can't be used in an argument? Entirely false; in fact, my use of a source and your lack thereof only further strengthens my argument against yours. If you're going to call me an idiot and quit, AT LEAST be sure that you're right in doing so.

None.

Oct 1 2009, 3:17 am Jack Post #124

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

@rayNimagi You may think evil is relative, but if there is a god at all, of any religion, and judgement day comes around, do you really think that that god will care if you say,'I can't go to hell(or the religions equivalent), evil is relative!' That god will say,'No, evil is what I say it is!' and boot you into hell. Evil is NOT relative.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Oct 1 2009, 3:22 am FatalException Post #125

Quote from name:zany_001
You may think evil is relative, but if there is a god at all, of any religion, and judgement day comes around, do you really think that that god will care if you say,'I can't go to hell(or the religions equivalent), evil is relative!' That god will say,'No, evil is what I say it is!' and boot you into hell. Evil is NOT relative.
The lack of logic here is going to make me explode. The bolded statement obviously means that EVIL IS RELATIVE, because it is RELATIVE TO WHAT THAT GOD THINKS.

"Morality is herd mentality." -Friedrich Nietzsche

None.

Oct 1 2009, 3:22 am Norm Post #126

@rayNimagi You may think evil is relative, but if there is a god at all, of any religion, and judgement day comes around, do you really think that that god will care if you say,'I can't go to hell(or the religions equivalent), evil is relative!' That god will say,'No, evil is what I say it is!' and boot you into hell. Evil is NOT relative.

Why would I care about this magical "Hell" place if I'm dead? It's not like my corpse is capable of caring where it goes.

None.

Oct 1 2009, 3:25 am Jack Post #127

You may think evil is relative, but if there is a god at all, of any religion, and judgement day comes around, do you really think that that god will care if you say,'I can't go to hell(or the religions equivalent), evil is relative!' That god will say,'No, evil is what I say it is!' and boot you into hell. Evil is NOT relative.
The lack of logic here is going to make me explode. The bolded statement obviously means that EVIL IS RELATIVE, because it is RELATIVE TO WHAT THAT GOD THINKS.

My bad. How about: Evil is what said god SAYS IS EVIL, not what you say is evil. Happy now?

Quote from Norm

Why would I care about this magical "Hell" place if I'm dead? It's not like my corpse is capable of caring where it goes.

Your soul cares.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Oct 1 2009, 3:28 am FatalException Post #128

My bad. How about: Evil is what said god SAYS IS EVIL, not what you say is evil. Happy now?
Maybe to you. I'm going to have to go with Nietzsche on this one.

None.

Oct 1 2009, 3:31 am Jack Post #129

But whatever YOU think is moral, you still get stuffed on judgement day if it's not the same view of this god. So is Fred.

Red classic.

Oct 1 2009, 3:33 am Moose Post #130

We live in a society.

I remember when this topic used to be about surveying people.

Good times.

Oct 1 2009, 3:38 am Jack Post #131

Quote from Mini Moose 2707
I remember when this topic used to be about surveying people.

Good times.
Yeah, it's these ATHEISTS who won't admit they're wrong...

*glares at em*

XD

Red classic.

Oct 1 2009, 3:54 am Norm Post #132

Quote from Norm

Your soul cares.

LOL what? Soul? Those aren't real.

None.

Oct 1 2009, 3:56 am Jack Post #133

Sigh. Pity, that makes you an animal. Ah well.

Red classic.

Oct 1 2009, 4:00 am Moose Post #134

We live in a society.

Quote from Norm
LOL what? Soul? Those aren't real.
Do I have to read the topic or can I assume these are restatements and delete them? :-_-:

Oct 1 2009, 4:00 am Norm Post #135

I am an animal.... You are an animal too. More specifically we can be classified as Mammals. It's not a pity. Being an animal in my opinion is much more preferable than being something like a PLANT.

None.

Oct 1 2009, 4:04 am Jack Post #136

Moose I don't think we covered this yet.

And being a human is much more preferable to being an animal.
Yes we are mammals, biologically, but not animals. Because we have souls. Which animals(and you?) Don't have.

Red classic.

Oct 1 2009, 4:08 am Norm Post #137

Moose I don't think we covered this yet.

And being a human is much more preferable to being an animal.
Yes we are mammals, biologically, but not animals. Because we have souls. Which animals(and you?) Don't have.

..........I don't even know what to say to such a dense text-block of ignorance. You might be familiar with the Term Homo Sapian, It is used in TAXONOMY, a system that has a purpose of CLASSIFYING ANIMALS. Humans are animals because they have no cell walls, they do not have chloroplasts, they have nuclei in their cells, and they reproduce through meiosis and then through fertilization of female eggs. Humans do not get their own little kingdom to belong to - there is no reason for them to get one. THEY ARE ANIMALS and SOULS do not exist in any animal or human.

None.

Oct 1 2009, 4:18 am Jack Post #138

WE ARE ON A ROCK, FLYING THROUGH SPACE!

Also, prove that souls don't exist.

Red classic.

Oct 1 2009, 4:20 am Kaias Post #139

... Are you serious? If you join an argument on Christianity, the Bible is THE ONLY PRIMARY SOURCE. You think that just because you didn't mention it, it can't be used in an argument? Entirely false; in fact, my use of a source and your lack thereof only further strengthens my argument against yours. If you're going to call me an idiot and quit, AT LEAST be sure that you're right in doing so.
Once again you astound me. So much that I'm entering once more despite my declaration to clear up your ignorance. I did not participate in any argument on Christianity; I participated in an argument on the infallibility of Epicurus' logic. Epicurus himself wasn't making an argument against Christianity, he was making a declaration about the possibility of a god. Nothing I said or responded to was connected to any specific religion. Then you decided that some passage of the Bible invalidated my reasoning.

None.

Oct 1 2009, 4:32 am CecilSunkure Post #140

Quote from name:Epicurus
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able, and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God.
The problem is in the first line. Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Why would God prevent evil from happening? If God prevented evil from happening, that would be a direct intervention with human free will. Now, the reason that God created humans was so that he could have beings to choose to obey him, choose. If humans are going to choose to obey God or not, then there is one crucial thing that needs to be: a choice.

Now in order for humans to know that something is evil, you need something that isn't evil in order to make a comparison or judgement. We can call this other good. Similarly, if all things everywhere were always good, then we wouldn't know what good even was.. This can be exemplified by someone who has only eaten chocolate their entire life, and nothing else. If you ask this person if they like chocolate, the only response they could give truthfully would be "I don't know, what's good taste like?".

If God were to intervene upon our free will, disallowing us to commit evil acts, then we really wouldn't be able to rebel against God -because rebelling would fall under this category of evil. The only option for a human would be to obey God, since he wouldn't be allowing evil to happen -defeating the purpose of creating humans in the first place.

Quote from ClansAreForGays
I'm gonna be lazy here. Everything that happens is God's will. God set us up to fail.
I've often heard this point of view before. Now according to the bible, Adam and Eve had the choice to either eat the fruit or not. If Adam and Eve did not eat the fruit, but still had the option to, would they still have free will? Absolutely. They would still be filling God's objective of creating beings to obey him out of free will. Now, would it be fair of God didn't allow for the option of eating the fruit in his plan? No, hence the reason that Christianity has a Savior to atone for mankind's sins, all of them. So either way, the plan succeeds. How is that setting us up to fail? We chose to eat the fruit, and as such we chose to take the path of sin. I don't want to go off onto unnecessary tangents, so my point is that God didn't set us up to fail, we have to choose to fail in order to fail.

Quote from l)ark_ssj9kevin
It's also possible that God was omnipotent at first, but in creation of the Universe, he was trapped in the celestials and could only speak through the words of (I haven't studied the Bible, so correct me) the Prophet, Jesus.
And in that case, we only call him God because we are fearful that he will send us to Hell, but in reality, that's all he can do. He cannot truly smite* evil, but only punish them once they already die.
Ironically, however, the way he smites evil is by saying he smites evil. Paradox, heh.
In the first sentence, if God were omnipotent, he wouldn't have become trapped.

Quote from rayNimagi
Evil is always relative.
That depends on whether or not the definer of evil is infinite or not. If God really did define evil, evil is whatever he says it to be. Now, if humans define evil, then the definition of evil is subject to change. Since God's existence hasn't been proven or disproven, it is impossible to say whether or not evil is relative or not.

Quote from rayNimagi
We can't really know if we have free will or not.
The only way that I have been able to come up with to prove that we all have free will is to come across the same exact choice twice and choose different options each time. This, is impossible as of now. Of course, I haven't met anyone yet that says we all don't have free will.. That would mean I could punch the guy who said that right then and there and blame God. If someone wants to try to say none of us have free will, well, I find that a rather easy argument to win.. There are so many ways to counter that claim. I have already provided one example.

Are you serious? If you join an argument on Christianity, the Bible is THE ONLY PRIMARY SOURCE.
If you have only one source, then you can not prove or disprove anything in that source without using that source. Example: Your argument is invalid, and this is true because this sentence is true. Anyways, he was arguing about Epicurus.

Edit:
Quote from Norm
I am an animal.... You are an animal too. More specifically we can be classified as Mammals. It's not a pity. Being an animal in my opinion is much more preferable than being something like a PLANT.
Which is exactly what the plants are thinking of us, RIGHT NOW ^^

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Oct 1 2009, 1:22 pm by CecilSunkure. Reason: Quoted wrong person

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 5 6 7 8 914 >
  Back to forum