Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 General Discussion > Topic: Starcraft 2 will have maps you have to buy?
Starcraft 2 will have maps you have to buy?
Aug 22 2009, 4:49 pm
By: LolCakeLazors
Pages: < 1 2 3 47 >

Aug 22 2009, 8:35 pm ClansAreForGays Post #21

Matryoshka dolls?

Aug 22 2009, 9:04 pm Moose Post #22

We live in a society.

Quote from ClansAreForGays
who's going to be checking these? I bet most of us would be more qualified than 90% of the disconnected hacks that will be running this.
When the game is still new, they will actually care. Remember all the Map of the Months and whatever Blizzard used to put out?

Aug 22 2009, 9:32 pm Syphon Post #23

So, Battle.Net is now the iPhone app store, but with SC maps?

Oh Blizzard.

None.

Aug 22 2009, 9:44 pm killer_sss Post #24

Quote from Syphon
So, Battle.Net is now the iPhone app store, but with SC maps?

Oh Blizzard.

yea this is extremly freaking bad. So sad that they have to capitalize off this crap. I can harldy wait to see how badly they are gona screw up d3 with money crap. sigh. "Thanks for taking a dump in my dreams blizzard."

None.

Aug 22 2009, 10:03 pm Dem0n Post #25

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Yeah, I was actually starting to think that SC2 may be awesome, but now with this bullshit, it looks like another rip-off.

Aug 23 2009, 8:05 am DevliN Post #26

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from LolCakeLazors
Quote from Hug A Zergling
Won't there be a lot of people just making free versions of "premium" maps?
Blizzard said that they will review maps and pick out the premium maps.
That's not what I heard. From my understanding, it's on you to sell your maps. You only get a percentage, but you still get money for it.

Considering that you can basically make Counterstrike in a SC2 map, I can totally see why they're letting people sell maps. Just think of all the money DotA could have made.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Aug 23 2009, 2:20 pm MadZombie Post #27

Quote from DevliN
Quote from LolCakeLazors
That's not what I heard. From my understanding, it's on you to sell your maps. You only get a percentage, but you still get money for it.

Considering that you can basically make Counterstrike in a SC2 map, I can totally see why they're letting people sell maps. Just think of all the money DotA could have made.
A map like DotA isn't considered premium though D:. Premium maps are going to be the total conversions that use user created texture and other art that was create outside of SCUM. I wonder if Battle.net will have a torrent like downloader because if it doesn't I'm going to die. For sure their are going to be 100+mb maps.

None.

Aug 23 2009, 6:17 pm DevliN Post #28

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from MadZombie
Quote from DevliN
Quote from LolCakeLazors

A map like DotA isn't considered premium though D:. Premium maps are going to be the total conversions that use user created texture and other art that was create outside of SCUM. I wonder if Battle.net will have a torrent like downloader because if it doesn't I'm going to die. For sure their are going to be 100+mb maps.
Where did you hear that? At BlizzCon, they specifically said DotA is the best example of what they call a "mod" and it is the reason this feature exists (considering how many stand-alone DotA games are coming out and no royalties go to the original creator). DotA, as they put it, used the WC3 engine to create a completely different playing experience. They also stated that you will not be able to use user-created textures and other art yet for units and buildings, so that doesn't make sense either.

My Overwatch addiction.

Aug 23 2009, 8:58 pm Neki Post #29

You make a DoTA map, but you can only play it in third person, haha. That'd be so epic and fail at the same time. I'm not sure if I agree with charging people money, like someone said in this thread earlier, there could be people devoted to making free versions of premium maps.

None.

Aug 23 2009, 9:08 pm Echo Post #30

DOTA spawned from AoS. AoS is from Starcraft, so whoever makes a SC2 version of AoS with spells first would be ballin'.

None.

Aug 23 2009, 9:22 pm Neki Post #31

Looking at the gameplay videos, I'll make a premium Starcraft:Ghost map which will make millions! ha! :P I wonder if Blizzard would approve that kind of map.

None.

Aug 24 2009, 12:04 am killer_sss Post #32

Quote from DevliN
Quote from LolCakeLazors

i remember a quote from blizzard a long time ago i think in there liscense agreement about anything being made is offical property of blizzard and they have the right to use/market any ideas/creatations someone comes up with. I figure after that they are being nice giving the maker a piece of the pie albeit however tiny the piece actually is.

None.

Aug 24 2009, 12:16 am DevliN Post #33

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

That's essentially what they do with DotA. At BlizzCon, they had a "community tournament" area with 3 sections: StarCraft 2, WoW, and DotA (not WarCraft 3, only DotA). They love it.

On the topic of the DotA/AoS thing, I was actually getting really pissed during the SC2 Development panel because they specifically talked about the Tower Defense (and defenses in general) and DotA maps, and how they both started in War3. During the Q&A I was dying to ask why they don't know about SC map making.

My Overwatch addiction.

Aug 25 2009, 8:25 am TF- Post #34

🤙🏾

Ugh, fucks' sake, this is going to be pretty bad on the mapping community.

I can already see it now, all the splinter factions, the free mapmakers and the immense misplaced pride they take in their 100% always F.R.E.E. maps, the for-sale mapmakers with their refreshingly realistic takes on life and how 'an artist's gotta eat' and how they're not guilty at all, more of the separatist mentally-exhausting bullshit that's already everywhere.

There's going to be uncomfortable pressure on authors who spend a huge amount of effort on their maps to want their maps to be made premium, which will likely result in less people playing them. That and the mapmakers' portion of the revenue will probably be the result of a function that estimates how low it can be kept while ensuring maximum submissions, rather than something involving the tiniest shard of a soul.

All the popular maps will be made Premium and you can bet it'll happen to Dota (not that I give shit), they've finally figured out what Valve did with CS and CS:Source.

As for Blizzard not being able to Premium your maps, well.........when using StarEdit don't you already sign an EULA that says your maps aren't yours and Blizzard can use your content in any way fit? Well this time they have a way of using it, this time they're prepared.

Honestly though, I still have some figment of hope that they haven't become Satan incarnate since WoW, so I'll wait.

🤙🏾

Aug 25 2009, 1:04 pm Heinermann Post #35

SDE, BWAPI owner, hacker.

Question: Does the EULA apply when you DON'T use Staredit?

This stuff isn't really that big of a deal. If you don't want to pay for maps, then don't. Go pirate it like every other piece of software on your computer.

Aug 25 2009, 1:19 pm TF- Post #36

🤙🏾

Quote from Heinermann
Question: Does the EULA apply when you DON'T use Staredit?

This stuff isn't really that big of a deal. If you don't want to pay for maps, then don't. Go pirate it like every other piece of software on your computer.

About the EULA, there was already a discussion on that I think, and the result was "the EULA also suggests you aren't allowed to use tools other than StarEdit without breaching the contract"

As for pirating, well fine and good unless they pull out the DRM.

🤙🏾

Aug 25 2009, 4:54 pm UnholyUrine Post #37

It would be pretty lulzy to make better maps as free ones than ones you have to pay for, wouldn't it?
I was thinking the same...

When they say "premium" maps, they must mean like really, really good ones :\... Also, isn't the map size still limited to 256x256? How would there be any premium RPG maps with such limited space?.

Dota, or a Dota type spawn, will definately rise in SC2, but I bet there'd be many different spawns of it... and the best one'd become premium, while the actual popular one would've spread so fast that blizzard wouldn't bother making it premium.

On another note, it is not that terrible of an idea. If people make maps that truly are different, like a huge RPG, or Starcraft:ghost that has like 15 chapters or something, then it does sort of makes sense for the creator to get some of the money.
Obviously, few ppl would buy these games, and would probably be single-player orientated...
On that note, things that appear in premium maps that others want to learn will probably be posted as tutorials on the blizzard forums or on Youtube, so it shouldn't be that big of a problem.

In the end, I feel that Random Unit Battles and Sunk and Spore Defenses will still prevail :D... And so will TS? lol no... I do not dare to say
Fucks, I'm having a nerdgasm just thinking about Random Fighters in SC2... or even better, Blood Pressure Marathon in SC2 .. holy #*^$

None.

Aug 25 2009, 5:02 pm Decency Post #38

I don't see myself buying more than a map or two, it's pointless.

It will be especially bad if the top Melee maps become premium, too. That would be awful.

I do think this will help mapmakers in the long run and that a change like this will become common in the future, but I think the transitional period will be pretty rough.

None.

Aug 25 2009, 7:30 pm DevliN Post #39

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Again, I believe the map makers are the ones selling the maps, not Blizzard. Think something like an app store where the creator sets the price of his/her creation.

How would there be any premium RPG maps with such limited space?.
I dunno if you saw it in the demo (or the BlizzCon report), but you can have multiple levels in one map. The example they gave in the 3rd person RPG was the player's ability to go underground. I'm not sure how many can exist in total, but theoretically you could create a map that goes underground, on ground, and above ground.

My Overwatch addiction.

Aug 25 2009, 8:10 pm Morphling Post #40

Quote from DevliN
How would there be any premium RPG maps with such limited space?.
I dunno if you saw it in the demo (or the BlizzCon report), but you can have multiple levels in one map. The example they gave in the 3rd person RPG was the player's ability to go underground. I'm not sure how many can exist in total, but theoretically you could create a map that goes underground, on ground, and above ground.
Couldn't you change terrain in game via code? So after they go through the whole map change the terrain to have an infinite amount of space.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 25 2009, 8:17 pm by Morphling.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 47 >
  Back to forum