Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 General Discussion > Topic: Starcraft 2 will have maps you have to buy?
Starcraft 2 will have maps you have to buy?
Aug 22 2009, 4:49 pm
By: LolCakeLazors
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 57 >

Aug 25 2009, 8:18 pm ClansAreForGays Post #41

LOL at blizzard's new dilemma:

Some of the most popular maps that people play are anime rip offs (Naruto/DBZ/Bleach stuff)

Blizzard will NOT be able to get away with selling these copyright infringement maps.

Result: Free maps end up being the most popular maps. Yes, there is irony in The scum that is naruto maps turning out to be the saving grace of the open-source free mapping community.

Aug 25 2009, 8:24 pm Jack Post #42

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

For map size, you could probably scale everything small, making 256x256 as big as you want.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Aug 25 2009, 8:41 pm Morphling Post #43

I still like my idea. You don't have to sacrifice the size of units and such.

None.

Aug 27 2009, 1:47 pm Heinermann Post #44

SDE, BWAPI owner, hacker.

256 won't be the limit. Not if I can help it at least.

Aug 27 2009, 2:01 pm MadZombie Post #45

I don't know... 256 doesn't seem like a big deal when you could probably link maps with an actual "Next scenario" trigger.

I hope.

None.

Aug 27 2009, 4:19 pm Kaias Post #46

Quote from Morphling
I still like my idea. You don't have to sacrifice the size of units and such.
I doubt you'll be able to full on change the terrain of the map, only morph and bend existing terrain, like in the video where the ground lumps up temporarily.

None.

Aug 27 2009, 5:02 pm Ashamed Post #47

Hear me Raor!!

I don't kno whow this would work....
The only thing would be free maps may be better... If they make it so you can't steal the maps, then someone could make an almost exact replica, The maps would have to have somthing special that you can't add to other maps.

Unless they watch all the maps... and maps that look close to one of the maps, then they delete them.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 27 2009, 5:45 pm by Mini Moose 2707. Reason: Superfluous double post.

None.

Aug 30 2009, 5:33 am BeDazed Post #48

Unless they watch all the maps... and maps that look close to one of the maps, then they delete them.
Which is what they obviously will do?

None.

Aug 30 2009, 6:30 am KrayZee Post #49

Hmm, WarCraft III maps are named differently than StarCraft maps, and with the power of StarCraft II's, any original name for those maps?

Many WarCraft III maps named Battleships, Footmen Frenzy (Basically your Simpsons, Family Guy, Adult Swim, etc massing games here), Pictionary, Uther Party 1 & 2 ("Mini Game Party"), Football, RPGs, "Escapes" (Which is more common than the word bound), Azeroth Grand Prix (Mario Kart type map by Blizzard), Who is the _____ (Basically it's "The Thing" but I don't see the words "The Thing" in WC3), and etc.

Anything you see in StarCraft, is defined a lot differently in WarCraft III. Especially the most important term, Use Map Settings is now "Custom Games".

Quote from MadZombie
I don't know... 256 doesn't seem like a big deal when you could probably link maps with an actual "Next scenario" trigger.

I hope.
Don't forget about height and going inside buildings.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Aug 30 2009, 6:45 am by KrayZee.

None.

Sep 6 2009, 6:49 pm Tempz Post #50

Well, I support the buy system on the bases that players can look at the map if the author decided but not change it...

None.

Sep 7 2009, 8:55 am InsolubleFluff Post #51

I vow to never make a map premium, even if I could make a map that good and fun.

The problem occurs something like Halo 3.
I bought the map packs because my friends were playing it and i didn't want to be the black sheep that said 'nope, can't play ranked, nope can't play that map either.'
However, I do love my ranked matches, it's just frustrating.

Social Slayer (Free) has typically 30 000 to 70 000 players on at any given time.
Ranked Games (Not Free) has typically 2000 - 5000 players at any given time.

The point is, maps that are made premium will suffer greatly from a limited fan base.

As for ripping off premium maps and making freebie versions, we should all expect a 'test map' function since nobody will buy a map they cannot test. Then we will develop a program to take pictures of all elements of the game and poof, that's the terrain replicated, now just make the RPG how you like it.

None.

Sep 7 2009, 9:25 am DevliN Post #52

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

On the other hand, if people are willing to buy DotA knock-off games, then I'm sure people would be willing to pay for a DotA map in SC2. Knock-offs will be made, obviously, but if the original DotA gets ported (or remade, whatever) and sold I imagine a shit-ton of people will buy it.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Sep 7 2009, 2:43 pm BeDazed Post #53

The point is, maps that are made premium will suffer greatly from a limited fan base.
I'd think that you'd be able to play if you joined a game who hosted a premium map- but you yourself who haven't bought it 'can't host it'. But from here on there are many scenarios that can go wrong.
- The host accuses you of being a moneyless hobo, and bans you.
- The hipocrites accuse you of being a noob for 'downloading' and ban you.
- The download simply takes too long, and you get banned.
- Just because. The world isn't fair like that.

None.

Sep 7 2009, 4:18 pm InsolubleFluff Post #54

But see, this isn't a game, it's a map inside of a game.
We pay to play the game, we shouldn't have to play the map.

I mean, if they did say $5 for 10 maps, i'd be obliged to buy the maps. However, if it was anything more than $1 per map, i'd be fuming.
I'm expecting it to be about 2.99 for a premium map which is fucking outrageous.

None.

Sep 7 2009, 4:40 pm MadZombie Post #55

Hotfix for Premium maps v1.0

-add any unit or some sort of reference with the words "Naruto"
- Blizzard can't make it a 'money' map (lulz) 'cause of copyright or w/e term it is that prevents premiums.

yes? ...plz D:

None.

Sep 7 2009, 9:51 pm BiOAtK Post #56

Then Blizz will just remove them :P

None.

Sep 7 2009, 9:58 pm BeDazed Post #57

Well live with it. Since you all will be playing SC2, you'll learn to appreciate what they do. There will be non-premium maps. Who told you you have to play premium maps anyway? No need to hate the system yet considering we don't know all about it yet.

You made a valid point, so I didn't delete this. Instead, I made it seem like you're making a point, rather than just getting pissed off.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 8 2009, 12:23 am by DevliN. Reason: Took out useless vulgarity. And bad sentence structure.

None.

Sep 7 2009, 10:24 pm Fierce Post #58

Well if there was someway Blizzard could make an update system which would allow the map makers (who are selling the maps) to update the maps later on I think it would be worth the buy.

For example, lets say I make a map that is like DoTA. If you buy my map I would promise to give updates to make sure classes are balanced and what not. Lets also pretend if the map editor had this update system the map creator could update the classes so they are balanced then the map creator could go into this update system feature and it will send out a notification to the people who paid for my map saying that there is a free update they can download and they can see what has been changed or added to the map so they can have the option to download the update or not.

Honestly, if this was added, the premium maps wouldn't be such a bad idea at all.

None.

Sep 8 2009, 12:17 am DevliN Post #59

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from name:Shocko
But see, this isn't a game, it's a map inside of a game.
We pay to play the game, we shouldn't have to play the map.

I mean, if they did say $5 for 10 maps, i'd be obliged to buy the maps. However, if it was anything more than $1 per map, i'd be fuming.
I'm expecting it to be about 2.99 for a premium map which is fucking outrageous.
No one is making anyone pay for any maps. If you want what is deemed as a premium map, then you pay. If not, then it doesn't matter.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Sep 8 2009, 4:26 am EzTerix Post #60

What would suck really bad is if Blizzard forcefully made your map premium if it was popular or top quality.

Maybe not for the author....BUT FOR THE PLAYERS YES!

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 57 >
  Back to forum