Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 General Discussion > Topic: Starcraft 2 will have maps you have to buy?
Starcraft 2 will have maps you have to buy?
Aug 22 2009, 4:49 pm
By: LolCakeLazors
Pages: 1 2 37 >

Aug 22 2009, 4:49 pm LolCakeLazors Post #1

At Blizzcon 09', Blizzard has announced a Starcraft 2 Marketplace, a place to buy maps.

This way. Blizzard makes money off the maps and a portion of the money goes to the map maker.
Premium maps (paid maps) will eventually include achievements and matchmaking if they become popular enough.

More:
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/60148

Attachments:
SC2 Marketplace.png
Hits: 20 Size: 117.25kb

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 22 2009, 5:08 pm by LolCakeLazors.

None.

Aug 22 2009, 4:52 pm killer_sss Post #2

this is such shit. I mean how can they possibly expect free maps and pay maps to be rated the same. Blizzard just wants to burn their fans. Cmon bliz make me pay per month too you big bunch of jerks.

None.

Aug 22 2009, 4:55 pm Riney Post #3

Thigh high affectionado

If you can contribute and make 20$ to buy 30 other maps, sounds good to me.

Also notice that he has OVER 9000 of some score in the top right. MIGHT be a hoax.

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

-- Updated as of December 2021 --

Aug 22 2009, 4:59 pm LolCakeLazors Post #4

Quote from name:Dark_Marine
If you can contribute and make 20$ to buy 30 other maps, sounds good to me.

Also notice that he has OVER 9000 of some score in the top right. MIGHT be a hoax.
It might but the Marketplace is straight from Blizzcon.

None.

Aug 22 2009, 5:01 pm Hug A Zergling Post #5

Won't there be a lot of people just making free versions of "premium" maps?

None.

Aug 22 2009, 5:06 pm LolCakeLazors Post #6

Quote from Hug A Zergling
Won't there be a lot of people just making free versions of "premium" maps?
Blizzard said that they will review maps and pick out the premium maps.

None.

Aug 22 2009, 5:12 pm Riney Post #7

Thigh high affectionado

Now thats one HELL of a way to protect your map. Long as its premium you'll never have to worry about map stealers again.

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

-- Updated as of December 2021 --

Aug 22 2009, 5:15 pm LolCakeLazors Post #8

Quote from name:Dark_Marine
Now thats one HELL of a way to protect your map. Long as its premium you'll never have to worry about map stealers again.
But you don't care that you have to pay for certain maps?

None.

Aug 22 2009, 5:21 pm dumbducky Post #9

So you can't declare your map premium?

tits

Aug 22 2009, 5:24 pm Symmetry Post #10

Dungeon Master

I'm guessing you will have to submit it to Blizzard, but you will not be able to make a map premium without Blizzard looking it over.

:voy: :jaff: :voy: :jaff:

Aug 22 2009, 5:32 pm LolCakeLazors Post #11

You submit your map to Blizzard because the new editor will have a function lets let's you publish your map to Battle Net 2.0. With 2.0 you can play your map without hosting it.
If your map looks simply amazing, then Blizzard will make it Premium.

None.

Aug 22 2009, 6:56 pm Biophysicist Post #12

There had better be the option to keep your map as free. I for one would be pissed if they made my map premium without my permission, which I'm not going to give.

None.

Aug 22 2009, 7:13 pm Corbo Post #13

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

Yeah... watch this failing so bad cause blizzard will take either long to check the maps or they'll just be lazy and stop doing it at all.

fuck you all

Aug 22 2009, 7:36 pm Falkoner Post #14

This is fail, stuff like this just strengthens my idea that SC2 is gonna suck.

None.

Aug 22 2009, 7:55 pm ClansAreForGays Post #15

who's going to be checking these? I bet most of us would be more qualified than 90% of the disconnected hacks that will be running this.

...maybe I should gloss over the blizzard jobs page.

I also like how blizzard gets the money, with the actual map maker getting a portion.

Aug 22 2009, 7:56 pm Ahli Post #16

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

Premium maps will be cracked (reverse engineering) anyway because sc2 can still read that map...
Only hardcore DOTA nerds will pay for that...

Shame on you Blizzard. That's not going to work out as you think....
But it would be cool, if mapping pays my rent... ;P
Stop dreaming Blizzard!

Just make simple mass map first and all sc2 nubs will play it forever...

Aug 22 2009, 8:07 pm The Starport Post #17

Quote from ClansAreForGays
I also like how blizzard gets the money, with the actual map maker getting a portion.
Welcome to the world of publishers. May they all burn in hell.

None.

Aug 22 2009, 8:09 pm MadZombie Post #18

Okay, I'm still going to ride on blizzards genitals only because I really doubt they are going to screw with us that bad. The way I see it is that the 'maps/mods' your going to pay for are practically FULL CONVERSIONS or at least map packs with ~25 campaign maps that are some how canon to Starcrafts storyline, like Enslavers(idk).. Even then in my head I'm telling myself blizzard will use some sort of currency system that you can buy more of with REAL money and that is why they are going to use paypal.

Oh an OVER 9000. :hurr:

Edit: If all else fails them their better be some Osmap4 + torrents going on :\
Now people are gonna be less prone to share mapping know-hows cus they can strike at profits.

Read this and it kinda feels true. Isn't learning new things over the editor what made Starcraft so popular? If we all just stuck with the original editor and never learned any of the fancy techniques of mapping(i.e. EUDs, hypers, grids,etc.) then Starcraft over battle.net would've died along time ago. Now if someone from this new Battle.net 2.0 frontier were to learn something on the same level as Hypers or Grids then why would he share it? He could use it himself to make something amazing, blizzard sees it, makes it a premium, and now he's making money while the other mappers are baffled on how he did certain things. Will he share it? why? he can use it his newfound techniques to create even more premium worthy maps just because only he knows how to do whatever it is he knows to do. I mean yea eventually someone is going to find out how something is done and has a kind enough heart to share with the community but when money is involved thats going to be hard to find.

Idk seems like it has potential to destroy/stunt things like mapping/modding communities. LolggSEN.

EDIT2: Did anybody notice the tabs on the bottom of the first picture? looks like they are putting a sweet new way to communicate with friends. >;D

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Aug 22 2009, 8:27 pm by MadZombie.

None.

Aug 22 2009, 8:13 pm Dem0n Post #19

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Seriously??? Why would anyone pay for Blizzard's "premium" maps (aka probably shitty cause blizzard made them) when we could just play maps made by great map makers like Lethal and Tux?

Aug 22 2009, 8:23 pm The Starport Post #20

Quote from name:Dem0nS1ayer
Seriously??? Why would anyone pay for Blizzard's "premium" maps (aka probably shitty cause blizzard made them) when we could just play maps made by great map makers like Lethal and Tux?
It would be pretty lulzy to make better maps as free ones than ones you have to pay for, wouldn't it?

What I find funny about this is Blizzard is now going to become its own mini-publisher in this way, even though it itself is the bitch of a larger publisher in turn. I can't even think of a good analogy for this kind of grotesque capitalistic abomination. Maybe I'll make and sell a map about this, to further the irony.

None.

Options
Pages: 1 2 37 >
  Back to forum