Staredit Network > Forums > Staredit Network > Topic: Biweekly SEN miniature magazine
Biweekly SEN miniature magazine
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Jun 24 2009, 5:36 am
By: ClansAreForGays
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Polls
Should we have a SEN zine?
Should we have a SEN zine?
Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
Yes 28

85%
None.
No 5

16%
None.
Please login to vote.
Poll has 33 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Jun 25 2009, 5:56 pm Excalibur Post #41

The sword and the faith

Quote from ClansAreForGays
My point is that it's really funny that SEN wouldn't have more than a few minutes thought to making you Admin, and but here I am asking for something less, and being more specific with what I would like to start, and I can't even get a response from anyone when I PM them, when they're last loggin shows they have had more than enough time to respond.
It was more than a few minutes, let me tell you. It was a process. I knew you wanted to get this done but I had to wait for IP and Moose.

My other point is that you were made and ADMIN and not a GM so that you could help with things just like this. This would have been a great example of why you were made admin and not GM. Now you tell me you actually don't even have the power to do anything about this, but you can't blame me for assuming you could. I really don't know why you were made admin if you couldn't help with things just like this.
Quote from Copy of a PM I sent to Unholy after a moderation action
I believe you asked about me coding for the DLDB or something in your post. Apparently you don't read much.

http://www.staredit.net/155656/
"With Ex and Moose managing the community"

http://www.staredit.net/155661/
"No, I don't, though I might be learning.

I'm mainly here to do community things, and get some nice hard moderation practices put in place to make rule breakers think twice. Merrell's suspensions for that quote chain were a shining example of what needs to be done."

http://www.staredit.net/155723/
"I'm not here to just moderate. I'm here to make sure moderation policies get tougher, and work on community direction."

http://www.staredit.net/155808/
"I am not here to be a moderator. My priorities are policy and community direction. That sounds a little more like an Administrator to me than a GM. I've said that at least three times already in this topic I think."

I hope this makes things more clear.
For the last time, and all of SEN hear me: I am not a moderator, I am not here to be one. That is not my primary job here.

I wouldn't have resorted to this if you or moose would have atleast responded with "Well I can't do that right now" and tell my why or something. You've both had more than enough time and have definitely been on.
Again, was waiting for IP or Moose so my response could've been something more useful than LOL SORRY CANT HELP YOU.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Jun 25 2009, 6:39 pm DT_Battlekruser Post #42

I'm only going to say this once.

Excalibur, by whatever process, debatable or not, you're an admin now. It's your job to man up and not feed the trolls. Many people are going to complain about your leadership; such is true of every leader. You must not be so sensitive.

None.

Jun 25 2009, 6:53 pm Moose Post #43

We live in a society.

Quote from Excalibur
It was more than a few minutes, let me tell you. It was a process. I knew you wanted to get this done but I had to wait for IP and Moose.
You had to wait for me? :P

Anyways I tried talking to the admins about just getting it slightly moving by opening the projects section for this, but I haven't heard anything back.

I guess if a member says he wants to clear out cluttered up clans, and implement ambiguous 'ideas' he is made site administrator, but if a member wants to start something concrete, productive, new, and specific it's too much to ask for a little cooperation.
Clans, Clans, relax. It hasn't even been a full day since you asked. I will take care of you when I get a chance.

Jun 25 2009, 6:59 pm BlueWolf Post #44

The zine should be somewhat witty. Not just dull text that bores someone on the title page. Meh, if we still had a mineral system, people would have been able to buy a page for advertising something..

None.

Jun 25 2009, 7:00 pm Excalibur Post #45

The sword and the faith

Quote from name:BluEditor
The zine should be somewhat witty. Not just dull text that bores someone on the title page. Meh, if we still had a mineral system, people would have been able to buy a page for advertising something..
Definitely. But personality in an article is up to the writer of said article. However I definitely think the editors/leaders of the zine could push a more lulzy direction to it if they wanted to. Add in really corny SC jokes and such.

Minerals for advertising would be pretty awesome as well.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Jun 25 2009, 7:09 pm BlueWolf Post #46

Advertisement has to be starcraft related though, not adverts of someone's website, cat, etc.

But personality in an article is up to the writer of said article.
Of course. You don't want to make the whole thing feel unprofessional, or half assed. I'll probably start making some "Fan Art" just in case you need some fillers.

None.

Jun 25 2009, 7:44 pm ClansAreForGays Post #47

While trying to find out who exactly have been given beta keys so far, I stumbled across this

I guess having something magazine related will help our chances more than I previously had thought

Jun 25 2009, 9:51 pm scwizard Post #48

Good ideas

In this column scwizard will select a recent topic in UMS theory for expansion and exploration.

Most innovative ideas are rather complex, and upon reading those topics my first question is always "how does this work." However there are those rare ideas that will make me think instead "why didn't I think of this before." JaFF's idea for a RPG armor system is one of those ideas. Using constantly replenishing shields to represent armor is a very old RPG concept. It's most famously used in Remisa's masterpiece Spellsword. The primary advantage of this concept is that it makes healing unnecessary for trivial encounters, completely removing the boring trip back to the inn that most RPGs necessitate. In addition to this it's more realistic. If you think of the heroic knight fighting off a hoard of goblins, the knight won't be constantly getting wounded. The knight getting wounded is a dramatic event, signifying that the tide of the battle has turned.

Now JaFF takes this system, and expands it to encompass not just armor in the generic sense, but armor in the diablo II sense, consisting of unique gloves, boots, helms and vests. To do this he makes it so that every time the shields regenerate, they randomly regenerate to the value associated with one of those armor slots. Although this isn't a super realistic way to do things, in terms of gameplay it works excellently. For one thing it makes combat more dynamic, if your helm was weaker than usual for instance, you'd have to retreat a bit every time the ogre started aiming blows at your head.

Because this system doesn't rely on upgrades at all, it's completely dynamic. You can take off a piece of armor because it's making it difficult to cast the high level spell you recently acquired. Which do you chose, the artifact leather gloves with the fancy effects, or the masterwork steel gauntlets with high defense. Perhaps it depends on which enemies you plan to fight. Maybe wearing heavy armor slows you down, so you'll want to lighten up a little to fight certain types of enemies. Collect all the pieces of this armor set and get a special bonus. And unlike the one piece armor system, the choice is between combinations of equipment instead of just which piece of equipment, making it far more likely that it'll end up as a real choice instead of a false choice.

A simple bit of EUDs can add an extra bit of flare to this concept. With EUDs it's possible to detect the shields of your hero, and therefore by detecting when the shields are zero, you can set a switch whenever the hero has been "wounded." Now the system will also be keeping track of which piece of armor is currently taking the hits, so if the helmet is currently taking the hits, and the hero has just been wounded, we now know that the hero's has just been wounded. This has the potential to give armor selection a further level of depth. For instance, if being wounded in the head causes a temporary spellcasting problems, and the hero specializes in spellcasting, then the player may want to invest more into a powerful helm.

So here we have it, a very simple yet powerful RPG system. The Last Stand RPG contest is still running, perhaps will see someone give this idea a shot. Keep the ideas coming folks :)

None.

Jun 26 2009, 12:14 am DevliN Post #49

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

While trying to find out who exactly have been given beta keys so far, I stumbled across this

I guess having something magazine related will help our chances more than I previously had thought
Though keep in mind (based on that article) the deadline ended June 19th for the journalists. So I wonder what effect that would have on this.

Has any SEN Admin even given thought to http://classic.battle.net/fsp.shtml?

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Jun 26 2009, 7:14 am scwizard Post #50

I thought we already got rejected from that :/

I mean, I would imagine that we would have applied for such a thing the moment it came out...

None.

Jun 26 2009, 7:38 am DevliN Post #51

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I don't think SEN was around the moment it came out...

EDIT:
Assuming the Fansite thing started prior to 2003/2004.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Jun 26 2009, 9:24 am InsolubleFluff Post #52

I don't think SEN does anything with other websites... Interviews, spreading the seed, getting involved with SC2... We are lonewolves.

None.

Jun 26 2009, 10:18 am JaFF Post #53

Should we just start a separate topic for now where anyone can throw in articles about anything they want? Keep this topic for discussion of structure and content of the magazine.

None.

Jun 26 2009, 6:02 pm ClansAreForGays Post #54

Quote from DevliN

Though keep in mind (based on that article) the deadline ended June 19th for the journalists. So I wonder what effect that would have on this.

Has any SEN Admin even given thought to http://classic.battle.net/fsp.shtml?
I'm pretty sure we actually haven't. As I said in the other topic, we just seem to be crossing our fingers and not making any actually attempt to reach out on our part. I think Moose or IP should fill that out asap if he hasn't yet already.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 26 2009, 6:19 pm by Mini Moose 2707. Reason: Off-topic.

Jun 26 2009, 6:10 pm UnholyUrine Post #55

But let's not go off-topic... (like I did.)

I think we should go for that Blizzard fansite thing.. but we would have to shape up our DLDB first.. :\

As for the zine.. I totally agree that it has to be witty.. which was what I was trying to say about articles that needs to be in point form or short form where someone can read it in 2-5 minutes but take a lot from it.

*sigh* I already gave this a go with my http://www.staredit.net/topic/7041/ .. So again... if u want.. I can do this :\ (lol .. After Re-reading it.. I'm finding tons of grammatical mistakes .. obviously if we're REALLY gonna do this zine.. i'd check my grammar <.<)

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 26 2009, 6:18 pm by Mini Moose 2707. Reason: Off-topic.

None.

Jun 26 2009, 6:11 pm ClansAreForGays Post #56

Quote from UnholyUrine
But let's not go off-topic...
Uh, you're not aloud to say that after you just totally did.

As for the zine.. I totally agree that it has to be witty.. which was what I was trying to say about articles that needs to be in point form or short form where someone can read it in 2-5 minutes but take a lot from it.

*sigh* I already gave this a go with my http://www.staredit.net/topic/7041/ .. So again... if u want.. I can do this :\ (lol .. After Re-reading it.. I'm finding tons of grammatical mistakes .. obviously if we're REALLY gonna do this zine.. i'd check my grammar <.<)
Sorry, but I wouldn't want you as the/an editor. I was already well aware of your prior attempt at something like this, and was under-impressed. Drant pulled it off much better.

But not that any of this matters because it looks like this has run aground.
Quote from name:isolatedpurity
The projects forum group has a specific purpose already, such as major map/campaign projects or programs, like we used to host scmdraft and starforge forums. Temple siege could have had a project forum instead of a 1000+ reply topic and then a 2nd topic for another version.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jun 26 2009, 6:52 pm by ClansAreForGays.

Jun 26 2009, 6:21 pm Moose Post #57

We live in a society.

But not that any of this matters because it looks like this has run aground.
Quote from name:isolatedpurity
The projects forum group has a specific purpose already, such as major map/campaign projects or programs, like we used to host scmdraft and starforge forums. Temple siege could have had a project forum instead of a 1000+ reply topic and then a 2nd topic for another version.
Which is why I want to wait to talk to IP about this. I really think that this deserves something under the tab despite not being a StarCraft-playable creation.

Jun 26 2009, 6:36 pm UnholyUrine Post #58

It is unfortunate that you guys can't see that I'm capable of much better language :\
Again tho, it wouldn't be my style.

But, honestly, I can't see anyone else do better and not make it sound boring, which should be something that we should avoid...
And honestly.. I'm having less and less hope about this site as a whole now. This site has failed tremendously on all fronts that is Starcraft, and only caters to those that still give a shit about the SEN's community. The further I try to voice this, the more my posts get edited, and the more seemingly "Unimpressed" you guys start to sound. What is it with you guys, seriously. It's a GAME forum... for GAMERS to talk about the GAME and have FUN.
It's supposed to be awesome, energetic, and spontaneous.. and I'm not getting any of this...
Albeit there should be regulations, but you guys are all taking it too far. Far enough for me to say that you guys are being pretentious.
I can safely say that .. if I wasn't stuck working right now.. I wouldn't be on here typing this.
You guys are great with your maps and whatever.. but when it comes to making a Starcraft Fansite... you guys really disappoint. Tho i feel the same for many forums :\

And just to let you guys know.. I'm saving this paragraph on my notepad. You know why? Because there's a high chance of it being edited. you just watch!

The Zine tho.. is a step in the right direction.. but too big of a step.. fix the DLDB.. get some reviews going... and get the normal Map nights and all that working in full order before being this ambitious.

None.

Jun 26 2009, 6:54 pm Moose Post #59

We live in a society.

Quote from UnholyUrine
This site has failed tremendously on all fronts that is Starcraft, and only caters to those that still give a shit about the SEN's community.
You care about us, we care about you. I think that's fair.

Quote from UnholyUrine
The further I try to voice this, the more my posts get edited, and the more seemingly "Unimpressed" you guys start to sound.
People saying that they disagree with Ex's adminship ten times in a topic where it is improper and disruptive to do so is not impressive.
Making it obvious that you have not learned from it is even less so. Honestly, after being moderated so much and being told not to do it, you're just asking for it when you do it again.

Quote from UnholyUrine
And just to let you guys know.. I'm saving this paragraph on my notepad. You know why? Because there's a high chance of it being edited. you just watch!
It shouldn't be edited because it should be deleted. It's not that we're trying to stifle your opinions, it's that your opinions are off-topic. Off-topic posts (and portions of posts, such as the ones edited) are against the rules. This topic is about the zine. This topic is NOT about the state of the site. This topic is NOT about what you would prioritize higher and things that ClansAreForGays cannot fulfill such as fixing/improving the DLDB. This topic is NOT about the strictness of moderation. This topic is NOT about Excalibur's adminship.
Regardless of whether or not your criticisms are valid, your commentary is off-topic when posted here. Therefore it is a violation of the rules and shall be treated as such.

Post has been edited 6 time(s), last time on Jun 26 2009, 7:10 pm by Mini Moose 2707.

Jun 26 2009, 7:19 pm DT_Battlekruser Post #60

And honestly.. I'm having less and less hope about this site as a whole now. This site has failed tremendously on all fronts that is Starcraft, and only caters to those that still give a shit about the SEN's community.

This site has been dead in that respect since v5, which has been.. Oh, God, has it been two years already?

Anyway, this magazine, if it ever got off the ground, would need a day-to-day manager being preferably the same person who actually brings it to press via publishing software.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 5 >
  Back to forum