Staredit Network > Forums > Staredit Network > Topic: Biweekly SEN miniature magazine
Biweekly SEN miniature magazine
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Jun 24 2009, 5:36 am
By: ClansAreForGays
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5

Polls
Should we have a SEN zine?
Should we have a SEN zine?
Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
Yes 28

85%
None.
No 5

16%
None.
Please login to vote.
Poll has 33 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Jun 27 2009, 10:29 am DevliN Post #81

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Like DTBK, I can help out with any editing if desired. I don't have the time to lead anything, but I'm graet w/ speeling end punchuashun!

In all seriousness, I'd like to help out any way y'all see fit.

As a side note:
Since we're not working on command structure yet, how about a system being put in place where anyone can submit articles to be featured in the SENzine? The copy editor(s) then get to work seeing what is good and what needs to be fixed, and sends them on to some layout editor. That editor then chooses what gets put in and what gets filed away for a rainy day. The copy is then sent to the editor-in-chief for a final approval, and BAM! we have an SENzine. This way no one feels like they have to compete for a set position, and everyone gets to contribute in some way. We could have people designated as "featured" writers, maybe, who spearhead certain sections of the SENzine, but for the most part it would be for the community, by the community.

And we definitely need interviews every once and a while. One thing SEN has excelled in is reeling in big StarCraft names over the years. Interviewing (U)Bolt_Head about his love for making maps or asking Yoshi about starting such a pivotal community are things we can definitely use to our advantage.

I just feel like we shouldn't have specific categories that we feel like we need to fill for each issue. A great example is the Blizzard Insider, as Drant mentioned. Every issue talks about new things regarding Blizzard (without following some set structure). In our case, one issue may just be about Modding or may just be about the year-long map making contest. This SENzine should be left as open as possible, I think, otherwise it may become too tedious to manage.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Jun 27 2009, 10:39 am JaFF Post #82

Quote from DevliN
I just feel like we shouldn't have specific categories that we feel like we need to fill for each issue. A great example is the Blizzard Insider, as Drant mentioned. Every issue talks about new things regarding Blizzard (without following some set structure). In our case, one issue may just be about Modding or may just be about the year-long map making contest. This SENzine should be left as open as possible, I think, otherwise it may become too tedious to manage.
I like this much more than what CAFG suggested in the first post. This way, it will always feel fresh and a bit spontaneous.

None.

Jun 27 2009, 11:43 am Excalibur Post #83

The sword and the faith

Quote from DevliN
And we definitely need interviews every once and a while. One thing SEN has excelled in is reeling in big StarCraft names over the years. Interviewing (U)Bolt_Head about his love for making maps or asking Yoshi about starting such a pivotal community are things we can definitely use to our advantage.
Yes. We need to use this to really show Blizzard, and the general public, that SEN is just as good if not better than some of their official fansites. We've been doing this a long time and deserve to be on that list.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Jun 27 2009, 10:02 pm Moose Post #84

We live in a society.

Quote from DevliN
Has any SEN Admin even given thought to http://classic.battle.net/fsp.shtml?
Application requested. Blizzard's move, now I wait.

Jun 27 2009, 10:55 pm Echo Post #85

Quote from Mini Moose 2707
Quote from DevliN
Has any SEN Admin even given thought to http://classic.battle.net/fsp.shtml?
Application requested. Blizzard's move, now I wait.
I'm so excited! They better accept it. Did SEN request one before?

None.

Jun 27 2009, 11:09 pm Norm Post #86

CAFG you should set up an e-mail and tell people who have articles or ideas to send them to that e-mail. Give the password to said e-mail to the highest in command. Then since you are the leader here, I'm taking it that you will combine this into the finished form? Draw up a rough draft of the first edition. Find out what you need to go on each page and put down a list. Then I'm sure the SEN people will send articles to fit that list. People want to contribute right now, but they have nothing to contribute to. I know that you have nothing set in stone yet, but it would help to gather some resources.

Damn, It's upsetting that no one takes charge around here. I didn't even think up this project, yet here's my proposal to get things moving. (See above) Once the SEN people see the wheels turning, they'll be more willing to take this seriously. So, let's get a move on people.

Step 1: Set up a SEN-Zine e-mail account. Yahoo will work fine.
Step 2: Draw up a rough sketch of your first edition on SenZine.
Step 3: Find out the content you need and tell the SEN people with a list.
Step 4: Gather written things and ideas in the e-mail account.
Step 5: Start piecing together the product, ask people for more ideas for a name.
Step 6: (Optional but recommended) get a logo. People love logos.
Step 7: Put the magazine together- get editors and more writers since you have a process now.
Step 8: SEN hosts the zine and begin work on next month's zine.

EDIT: I volunteer for position "Guy who tells people how to get shit done" - I will work without pay.

None.

Jun 28 2009, 3:27 am ClansAreForGays Post #87

Step 2: Draw up a rough sketch of your first edition on SenZine.
I'm starting to get annoyed at how easily people are referring to this as just a step in a longer process. This is the hardest and most crucial part, and it's being underestimated. This is going to require software, and working knowledge of said software. Coming up with the page setup itself is no easy task, and I've already begun it. Right now I'm asking if anyone has any previous experience with something like this, and I'm not getting that kind of help yet. I've reached out to Syphon, but he hasn't logged onto to SEN or Maplantis since then not to mention he's already busy with the ML 2.0 skin. This is the most pivotal part in this, when this is done, the zine will practically run itself.

I volunteer for position "Guy who tells people how to get shit done"
You're going to have to be a tab bit more professional than that. I'd prefer it if you just did something yourself. When I say that I don't mean give me an article because I am not concerned with that right now because I have faith they will be generated when I have 'something' to put them into. For now I can use place holders. Right now I'd like people to be more concerned with that 'something' than specific articles.

I will work without pay.
That fact that you felt the need to point this out worries me. This is obviously going to be free on all counts.

If you guys really want to help out, come up with a format like:
Page 1
Cover page - original splash /w issue#.
Page 2
Top center - Brief introduction to magazine.
Table of Contents
Page 3
etc etc etc

You should then discuss and debate each others' layouts.

Jun 28 2009, 3:40 am Norm Post #88

K CAFG: Here's what you should do.

Target: How many pages should this Zine be? If unsure: How many sections will the Zine have, and how many pages does each section take up?

GET: Sheets of computer paper. Now stack them up to your estimated page requirement. Since there isn't a shit ton of material available for a biweekly Zine, I would suggest Aiming for this structure:

Collapsable Box

K draw it out. Put boxes where you think things can get cut off or something. If you think it's too long or too short, cut however many pages you want out. Maybe you want to make a demo mini-zine to get it under your belt. If you don't have anything drawn, then you have nothing to go by. You can even scan your sketches and show them to SEN. Put sticky notes in for where someone claimed space to write or where you already have material to go. Make is stylish.

p.s. Dude, what did you think about the SEN Zine e-mail account? I could probably even set it up for us, it'd take like 5 minutes.

None.

Jun 28 2009, 4:07 am ClansAreForGays Post #89

Target: How many pages should this Zine be? If unsure: How many sections will the Zine have, and how many pages does each section take up?
Alright, for the last time, I don't need you to direct my thought process. I am already aware that these things need to be considered and am already considering them. What I do care about is what exactly YOU think. try telling me how many pages it should be, and then saying why.

Also, the SENzine email has been set up - SENzine@yahoo.com

My next step is gong to be setting up a separate thread for each discussion on all the different parts people can contribute to this. Things need to start getting chopped up. I've been waiting for the Project forums to get going, but that is taking longer than I thought. In the mean time I will just make do with some other unused part of this site and assume the topics will be moved when things are online. *stares menacingly at Clan Oo*

Jun 28 2009, 4:18 am Vrael Post #90

Quote from name:CAFG
What I do care about is what exactly YOU think. try telling me how many pages it should be, and then saying why.
Short and sweet. Who's really going to read 8 pages of starcraft? 2 Pages should be enough to cover a topic, but perhaps it's best not to have an exact limit, but rather have a ballpark of "2" and if you need more space to cover the topic, use it. If not, at least you're not filling up 6 pages with B.S.

None.

Jun 28 2009, 4:23 am Norm Post #91

Good, you got the E-mail up. This is a big step in the actual completion of this project. In case people didn't see above:

Send ideas / writings / contributions to SENzine@yahoo.com

Well CAFG- Are you going to shoot for a full minizine as your first release? Or are your going for a Demo?

In my opinion, a 5 page set-up following the structure i listed in the collapsed box would probably be a good standard for a full minizine. If you want a Demo Zine go for 3-4 page set up. I think a demo would be a good idea because people could see it and really get motivated to contribute to the next issue - the full mini-zine - making it a lot easier to get content.

After you decide on how much space your first release is going to have, we can move on to deciding what kind of content we will want on each page. Someone said something about a template earlier i believe, and this is a good idea- that is. We could have the same sections in each issue with just the content of each section changing. This would make it easier for us to stick on task.

Obviously, the list of possible sections you listed on the first page is much too large for this minizine. We should really cut it down so that the writers aren't as intimidated. Would you like to compile the list of sections yourself? If you would like I can compile my own list of what I would recommend, but I don't want to seem as If I'm trying to take control of your project- I mean, I know it probably seems like that already lol, but I can assure you that I don't want any major part in this project, only to help you guys complete it.

None.

Jun 28 2009, 4:42 am Dapperdan Post #92

Quote from DT_Battlekruser
I volunteer to be copy editor - modesty aside, my grammar is really good and I'm not as active as far as actually finding stuff to write about.

None.

Jun 28 2009, 4:48 am ClansAreForGays Post #93

Obviously, the list of possible sections you listed on the first page is much too large for this minizine. We should really cut it down so that the writers aren't as intimidated. Would you like to compile the list of sections yourself? If you would like I can compile my own list of what I would recommend, but I don't want to seem as If I'm trying to take control of your project- I mean, I know it probably seems like that already lol, but I can assure you that I don't want any major part in this project, only to help you guys complete it.
Are you seriously asking for me to limit your input? I'm really not being as clear as I thought I was.

The only thing that does bother me is that right now you are coming off as a motivational coach.

Jun 28 2009, 5:09 am DT_Battlekruser Post #94

As far as copy editing goes, drop something in my inbox (I prefer PMs), and I'll edit it and get it back to you within 24 hours.

None.

Jun 28 2009, 5:26 am Norm Post #95

Alright, I'll let you do your thing. Sorry for interrupting your process.

Best of luck to the SEN zine.

None.

Jun 28 2009, 7:35 am ClansAreForGays Post #96

:lock:
Clan [MM]'s forums have officially been hijacked for the the purposes of this project. I request this be locked to encourage discussion in the proper place. Continue discussion here in the appropriate topic(s).

Options
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5
  Back to forum