Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: Useful websites and Free Programs
Useful websites and Free Programs
Mar 4 2009, 5:50 am
By: chuiu
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 68 >

Jul 12 2009, 3:41 pm DeProgrammer Post #61

Heh, I'm sorry. I don't remember why I put LimeWire on there. I mean, all the legitimate peer-to-peer users use torrents (like many Linux distributors) or their own software (like Blizzard)! Surely there couldn't be anyone that uses LimeWire for legal purposes, or at least not enough to merit a link. :)

I have been to sites that required RealPlayer, though.

None.

Jul 20 2009, 7:30 pm Moose Post #62

We live in a society.

All the cool kids are using FrostWire anyway. ;o

Jul 21 2009, 1:16 am Syphon Post #63

Quote from DeProgrammer
Heh, I'm sorry. I don't remember why I put LimeWire on there. I mean, all the legitimate peer-to-peer users use torrents (like many Linux distributors) or their own software (like Blizzard)! Surely there couldn't be anyone that uses LimeWire for legal purposes, or at least not enough to merit a link. :)

I have been to sites that required RealPlayer, though.

Blizzard uses torrents.

None.

Jul 21 2009, 1:51 pm Jello-Jigglers Post #64

Quote from Mini Moose 2707
All the cool kids are using FrostWire anyway. ;o
Mega viruses...

None.

Jul 21 2009, 8:56 pm NudeRaider Post #65

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Tired of Real Player's spy attempts but still want to play Real Media?
Try Real Alternative!
You can either install the Real Alternative Player, or use your own DirectShow capable player to play all Real Media.

Jul 21 2009, 10:56 pm ClansAreForGays Post #66

Does it really install spyware? You aren't talking about the thing I can uncheck right?

Jul 31 2009, 9:15 pm NudeRaider Post #67

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from ClansAreForGays
Does it really install spyware? You aren't talking about the thing I can uncheck right?
I'm not entirely sure what I'm talking about. Last time I installed Real Player was some years ago.
What I remember was that my firewall reported about 4-5 attempts to connect to internet without my permission during install and first startup. And from what I heard they save usage statistics etc.

However I can't say if all of this is still valid, but I never had any suspicious behavior from Real Alternative, plus it's smaller (I hate programs that have a simple purpose but still need tens or hundreds of MB) and its codec is usable by windows media player, the browsers and vlc media player, etc.

Aug 12 2009, 3:54 pm l)ark_ssj9kevin Post #68

Just here for the activity... well not really

Giveawayoftheday.com - Every day they give out legal software out for free. It isn't a trial demo or a limited, they give you a cd-key and everything.

guy lifting weight (animated smiley):

O-IC
OI-C

"Oh, I see it"

Aug 12 2009, 6:02 pm ClansAreForGays Post #69

Quote from l)ark_ssj9kevin
Giveawayoftheday.com - Every day they give out legal software out for free. It isn't a trial demo or a limited, they give you a cd-key and everything.
I hope this doesn't mean what I think it means.
We will pay the software publisher for the Giveaway license, and our visitors will only receive those after downloading a special verification program and agreeing to the Terms and Conditions, thus protecting software publishers’ interests and making our initiative beneficial for both clients and publishing companies.

Aug 20 2009, 8:14 pm l)ark_ssj9kevin Post #70

When you download a program, it comes in a unique installer. It first checks if it's still the day of the give-away and then it goes on to install the actual product.
You don't have to download any excess torrents or anything

O-IC
OI-C

"Oh, I see it"

Oct 29 2009, 12:25 am Heinermann Post #71

SDE, BWAPI owner, hacker.

But you probably download a crapload of spyware. How are they able to pay for YOUR liscense without making money themselves?

Well Chuiu should organize it all into the topic post.
Chu is not your personal butler. He's not obligated to do anything.

Oct 31 2009, 7:13 pm NudeRaider Post #72

Filehippo -- a website that hosts all sorts of useful free- and shareware and offers useful descriptions, all in well-sorted categories. Happy browsing. ^^

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Nov 1 2009, 10:52 pm by NudeRaider. Reason: made the link a link

Oct 31 2009, 8:15 pm Corbo Post #73

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

Quote from Heinermann
But you probably download a crapload of spyware. How are they able to pay for YOUR liscense without making money themselves?
You don't.

I've downloaded one or two programs that I needed and it seems to just be a way for software developers to make promotion for themselves. They'd never giveaway very popular software or anything from a huge company but rather it seems to be filled with small software makers trying to get their product sold.

At least the ones I downloaded have been useful so far and didn't have anything with them.

fuck you all

Nov 1 2009, 10:40 pm Heinermann Post #74

SDE, BWAPI owner, hacker.

When you put it that way, it makes more sense.

SEN needs to show a list of people who clicked agree(or "+") on a post, so that I don't have to actually tell the person I acknowledge their post.

Nov 1 2009, 11:29 pm Centreri Post #75

Relatively ancient and inactive

SciTE Ru is the best free web editor I found (when Doodle gave me the link). Better than Notepad++. It has everything I needed in notepad plus things like a color picker, autoindent, tag finishing for HTML, etc. It's also as fast as Notepad++. There's an English version you can install it as, but the plugins, like the color picker (comes included, though), are only in Russian. You can probably guess it, though :P.

I also use Songbird for my music player. I use it because it has very good support for different languages, and automatically chooses the encoding to use for most of my non-English bands, whether it be Unicode or something else. It also has standard features, different plugins, a FX-browser inside, and is rather fast, at least compared to iTunes. It can sync with many thingies (at least with plugins), though I don't think they got it to work with iPod Touch or Zune yet. That may have changed. Again, the main feature for me is the encoding chooser, and I'd probably be trying to get Foobar2000 to look as shiny as possible if it had that feature. Still, I'll definitely recommend this, because it's often updated and all that.

None.

Nov 1 2009, 11:36 pm l)ark_ssj9kevin Post #76

Quote from Jello-Jigglers
Quote from Vi3t-X
srsly though if anyone has a GOOD free audio stream ripping program, post it up.
http://download.cnet.com/YouTube-Downloader/3000-2071_4-10647340.html
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006
Seriously. Just use kickyoutube.
You both fail is fucking hard. I have video download helper already, but I don't give a damn about kiddy shit like downloading youtube videos which any idiot can google. Youtube has the worst sound quality I've ever heard.
I'm talking about something that rips whatever sound is playing on my computer in the same quality that I hear it the first time. For god's sakes you could have even google audio stream recorder if you didn't know what it was before posting.
Couldn't you just get Audacity, record stereo mix of the song, and cut the lengths?

O-IC
OI-C

"Oh, I see it"

Nov 2 2009, 5:10 am rockz Post #77

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Couldn't you just get Audacity, record stereo mix of the song, and cut the lengths?
Couldn't you just hold a tape recorder up to the speakers?

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Nov 2 2009, 11:30 am NudeRaider Post #78

Quote from rockz
Couldn't you just hold a tape recorder up to the speakers?
Bad comparison.
When recording stereo mix the music stays digital and thus lossless.
Your music only degrades when you save to a lossy format like mp3. However this is neglible for bitrates of 200+ kbit/s. I do that all the time and never noticed any loss of quality.
However admittedly using a ripper is more convenient.

Nov 15 2009, 10:10 pm NudeRaider Post #79

I actually understand most of it. ^^
Dutch or whatever it is seems is kinda similar to German.

Nov 15 2009, 10:23 pm Tycho Post #80

Quote from Heinermann
I recently came across some tools:

Several free tools: http://www.pazera-software.com/
I found two I was specifically interested in:
+ Video Converter Suite
+ UPX packer GUI

RunDLL32 clone: http://www.tvsoftware.nl/download_rdll.htm
The clone allows passing of more than one argument to DLL functions.

If for some reason it crashes, I modified the rundll32 clone to work on vista(My laptop):
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/733696/rundll32clone.zip

Anyone know about using runDLL with ordinals instead of names?

Hello Heinermann,

I'm the creator of Rundll32 clone.
The version you revere to is one of the first programs I've ever created in Assembler.
Making a program in assembler as a starter is a process that can't be done without mistakes (mostly mistakes I made where overload a buffer and returning wrong stack space).
This is the reason why that version you revere to is more a bug then a program :blush: !

However, I fully remade the program a while ago and it's almost bugles^^!
It also has new features like Unicode stings and structures support :D
There is a single application, a DLL-version and for the people who are curries I also published the source :-).
It's download able from http://www.tvsoftware.nl/.

Good luck with the program, and if your able to still find bugs, just mail me !
Tycho

PS I already found a bug but had no time to fix it yet. It's only on Windows 9x (95, 98 and ME). Down here is explained how to fix it.
Open code file "W9x support.inc" and seek to rule 50(DLL versie) or 74(EXE versie)
Replace "push dword [esp+0x4]" by "push dword [esp+0x8]", compile file "RunDLL32_clone.asm" with FASM and the bug should be fixed :-)

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 68 >
  Back to forum