Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Q and A
Q and A
Feb 5 2009, 6:13 am
By: Dapperdan
Pages: < 1 2 3 >

Polls
If you could know when/how you were going to die, would you want to know?
If you could know when/how you were going to die, would you want to know?
Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
Yes 19

45%
None.
No 21

49%
None.
[insert cop out here] 3

7%
None.
Please login to vote.
Poll has 43 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Feb 5 2009, 8:27 pm JaFF Post #21

Quote from ClansAreForGays
We can guess what it is like to to know exactly when you are going to die by looking at people on death row. It is said that they can not help be dream about their upcoming death every night.
I'm not entirely sure one can compare waiting several months in a camera for a lethal injection and living an average of 50 more years and dying from an average heart attack.

Yeah, that's quite average. :bleh:

None.

Feb 5 2009, 9:07 pm Centreri Post #22

Relatively ancient and inactive

I have absolutely no idea, so I chose C.

None.

Feb 5 2009, 9:48 pm TriggR_HappE Post #23

I definitely wouldn't want to know.

None.

Feb 5 2009, 10:56 pm A_of-s_t Post #24

aka idmontie

Wow, the numbers are pretty even.

I'd like to know when I was going to die.

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Feb 5 2009, 11:13 pm Phobos Post #25

Are you sure about that?

Tricky question from a certain point of view but...

It better be simple... No, I would not like to know when the day of my death will come.

this is signature

Feb 5 2009, 11:21 pm Forsaken Archer Post #26

Yes.
Though I'm not sure why. I don't think I would honestly do anything different if I knew. It probably would end up being quite depressing.
On the other hand, I would leave a small fortune behind for loved ones with a hefty life insurance policy.

None.

Feb 5 2009, 11:32 pm l)ark_ssj9kevin Post #27

Just here for the activity... well not really

No. Knowing when you die only creates fear of something that will actually happen.

guy lifting weight (animated smiley):

O-IC
OI-C

"Oh, I see it"

Feb 6 2009, 12:06 am Lord Malvanis Post #28

If anyone knows of it, I would take this question and answer as they did in the movie "The Bucket List"
I would love to quote it but I don't remember exactly what he said, But It answers this question for me.
I'd rather not know the time of my death, I would rather live my life to its fullest and be happy when it comes, rather than fearing it and wasting my time as it comes closer.

None.

Feb 6 2009, 12:18 am A_of-s_t Post #29

aka idmontie

I don't get why people fear death. If you know its going to happen, then you can live without caring when you'll die because you know when it will happen and you can come to terms with it by then.

Personal GitHub
TwitchTV

Feb 6 2009, 12:33 am Conspiracy Post #30

Quote from NudeRaider
Yes, the question itself creates a paradoxon, if you choose yes. Ofc I would want to know, so I can avoid it.
But that also means if this REALLY tells me when I die, I would become immortal until then. I could jump from a skyscraper and know that I will survive. This obviously can't be.
So why would I choose to know something that becomes false by the knowledge of it? (Wow that's the same with quantum physics)

Still I would choose yes, just to prove the fucker who granted me this wrong.

Simply put.

None.

Feb 6 2009, 12:45 am A_of-s_t Post #31

aka idmontie

Quote from Conspiracy
Quote from NudeRaider
Yes, the question itself creates a paradoxon, if you choose yes. Ofc I would want to know, so I can avoid it.
But that also means if this REALLY tells me when I die, I would become immortal until then. I could jump from a skyscraper and know that I will survive. This obviously can't be.
So why would I choose to know something that becomes false by the knowledge of it? (Wow that's the same with quantum physics)

Still I would choose yes, just to prove the fucker who granted me this wrong.

Simply put.
Then again, he would be proven right, since no one would jump off a skyscaper just to prove some one wrong. Unless they are willing to do that, then their death would be predicted to die from falling off a skyscaper, and in which case, the person telling the fortune woul djust have to push you off the skyscraper.

Personal GitHub
TwitchTV

Feb 6 2009, 12:49 am The Great Yam Post #32

Heisenburg's uncertainty principle, quantum mechanics, chaos theory, and other theories of the universe generally point towards a random and chaotic universe where NOTHING is set. No, observing doesn't make it wrong. However, as one observation (speed of a particle) grows more accurate, the other disappears (direction of a particle), and occurring on a massive scale in a dynamic universe full of random phenomenon (yes, some things really ARE random), I seriously doubt there is any reliable or even practical way to determine even part of the future.

After all, you actually change something by observing it (this is a fact, look up the double slit experiment). The observation of this date would void it (and ultimately it is a combination of an insanely large amount of random events, some of which aren't even near each other or generally connected by normal causality and locality.

But this question is not generally geared towards "you are doomed to die by fate", but more "you have severe, persistent cancer throughout your body and in your brain, the chances are 99%" or "The Columbian drug cartel wants you dead" or "You've got 2 years worth of dried food inside of an underground bunker, a cave-in only let air pass through." or "You're out of appeals. Death sentence coming up!"

Under those conditions, still, no. It's almost always worse to wait for something terrible to happen than for it to actually happen (though death has it's benefits, suppose).

None.

Feb 6 2009, 12:53 am A_of-s_t Post #33

aka idmontie

Chaos theory has NOTHING to do with randomness.

http://library.thinkquest.org/3493/noframes/chaos.html

Chaotic systems are not random, nor disorderly. Truly random systems are not chaotic, chaos has a sense of order and patter.

Sorry, I just REALLY needed to point that out. However, I will say that it does have a little to do with your point:

Chaotic systems are sensitive to initial conditions. Even a very slight change in the starting point can lead to significant different outcomes.

Personal GitHub
TwitchTV

Feb 6 2009, 1:01 am The Great Yam Post #34

I wasn't really referring to chaos as much as phenomenon like particles escaping from black holes and firing out millions of light years in a completely unpredictable manner, and the nature of electron movement (though there are probabilities that allow us to predict their paths fairly well).

None.

Feb 6 2009, 4:09 am stickynote Post #35

You won't die Nude, you'll just be stuck in a wheelchair till you die.

None.

Feb 6 2009, 6:31 pm Aster Post #36

It takes the fun out of death.
A man after my own heart. Death is fun!
I know when and how you're all going to die anyways.

None.

Feb 7 2009, 3:36 am Vi3t-X Post #37

If you knew your death, then you could logically prevent it. Thus disabling death itself.

None.

Feb 7 2009, 7:20 am ClansAreForGays Post #38

Quote from Vi3t-X
If you knew your death, then you could logically prevent it. Thus disabling death itself.
Tell that to guys on death row.

Feb 7 2009, 11:56 am JaFF Post #39

Quote from Vi3t-X
That may apply to deaths only in certain situations, like in a battle. If you know that you'll stick your head out and get a headshot, you obviously won't do it when the time comes.

But everyone will eventually age and die.

None.

Feb 7 2009, 12:19 pm Hug A Zergling Post #40

DEFIANTLY! This question wasn't just in "The Bucket List" it was also in "Big Fish". If you know how you die, then every other time it seems like your going to die, then you can say "Hey, this isn't how I die" and you'll know you'll be fine. If you know when your going to die, your a bit more prepared for it. You'll have all the legal issues taken care of and everything. It would work out great.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum