Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Theory and Ideas > Topic: Difference between SP and MP
Difference between SP and MP
May 21 2008, 9:49 pm
By: Daedalus  

Jun 22 2008, 3:51 pm Ahli Post #21

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

pressing F10 pauses the game in SP.

Singleplayer has no lag. At least bnet has the lag about 1 second. I'm not sure about that in local area networks.

Jul 10 2008, 8:41 am KyleIs1337 Post #22

Quote from PCFredZ
Pause and Unpause are SP-only actions.

You are incorrect. You are able to pause in multiplayer by going to the menu and pressing pause game or preessing the pause button on your keyboard next to scroll lock.

None.

Jul 10 2008, 8:53 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #23

👻 👾 👽 💪

Those aren't trigger actions... Those are player actions.

Quote from Ahli
pressing F10 pauses the game in SP.
Any menu, minimizing, or losing focus pauses it.

Quote from Ahli
Singleplayer has no lag. At least bnet has the lag about 1 second. I'm not sure about that in local area networks.
That is the latency. It isn't lag itself, it is to prevent lag by giving a bit of buffer time for all the players' games to communicate.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 10 2008, 8:58 am by FaRTy1billion.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Jul 10 2008, 2:12 pm Ahli Post #24

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

Quote from Our skilled Farty
Quote from Ahli
That is the latency. It isn't lag itself, it is to prevent lag by giving a bit of buffer time for all the players' games to communicate.
The "latency" is still there even if you play alone in a game on battle.net. Playing in singleplayer the player's actions are instant.

Jul 10 2008, 8:38 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #25

👻 👾 👽 💪

It's anywhere in MultiPlayer. :P

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Aug 15 2008, 7:36 pm NudeRaider Post #26

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

This isn't actually a difference between MP and SP but I still think it is of relevance:
The values you enter for waits are real time. They do NOT change when you alter the game speed.
So in bnet where virtually only one speed exists (Speed 7 - fastest) you know when you wait 1000ms that 12 trigger loops will pass in that time.
When doing single player campaigns ppl will probably change the speed, thus cinematics that you time using waits will run differently on different speeds.
So it's recommended to only use death counter timers for single player mode maps. Death counter timers are always synched to the game (8 timer ticks = 1 game second).

Aug 21 2008, 2:02 am Bolshevik Post #27

and everyone forgot to mention that saving / loading really only applies to single player, saving in multi shows the lagger or something

None.

Aug 23 2008, 7:03 am StrikerX22 Post #28

Quote from Bolshevik
and everyone forgot to mention that saving / loading really only applies to single player, saving in multi shows the lagger or something
Not true at all. It just requires that the same people join the game, and all still have the save file (each are given one). I'm not sure about the details beyond that, such as if someone other than the host can host a save (since only the host can save it to begin with), and I know for sure that switching from udp to bnet (same cd key for that one) doesn't work... it won't keep them in the game once it starts (host stays, and I think they crash).

But if it's the same computers/cd-keys and ppl involved, with the same mp format, it works fine.

None.

Aug 23 2008, 7:04 am Falkoner Post #29

The only reason it shows the lagger when you save is if they have a slow computer, so they lag when attempting to save a file.

None.

Options
  Back to forum