Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Theory and Ideas > Topic: Crescent Dyne RPG?!
Crescent Dyne RPG?!
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
May 17 2008, 2:21 pm
By: payne
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6

May 24 2008, 11:09 pm Demented Shaman Post #101

Quote from name:Urmom(U)
Quote from name:razorsnail
Quote from A_of-s_t
Lethal should of had a back up of all those triggers. Not my fault he's an idiot.
Long ago I began to imagine that they didn't have any content at all and were just riding the high of all that hype for their colossal ideas.

If they were really such amazing mapmakers and the project was really that incredible, they would have been backing it up constantly. Especially the way WoodenFire talked, it was inevitable something like this would happen.

I bet they never HAD triggers. They just wanted a way to get our hopes SO high so that they could crush them SO low. The corrupted string was a great excuse to "stop working on it" (i.e., never have their secret revealed). Corrupted string? Bullshit. If the idea was that great, they'd still be doing it. If they really invested that much time in that project, a mere 500 triggers shouldn't stop them. They don't deserve the hype if they quit now. Of course, they probably never deserved the hype (maybe no one does).

So maybe I'm just bitter. CrescentDyne crushed my faith in people who hype up their projects. I still get excited at new ideas but remain disillusioned with all claims of greatness until the project is actually released. I swear, I checked CrescentDyne's forum a few times a week. JUST to see if a map was making progress! I scrabbled at their forum hoping for a few morsels of screenshots and game logic! I was that excited! How stupid of me! So many hours of my life, wasted! Arrggghh

payne, I admire your tenacity. I still think CrescentDyne's a sick idea, but they hype it up so much that there's no way it will ever become real, and I guess deep down in my heart, I never really thought it would be...

EDIT:
Quote from name:devilesk
Quote from payne
Still, the systems they were gonna use/were using were AWESOME!
That's funny, because these "systems" never existed and no one has seen them. It was all talk and anyone can make up stuff like that.
Quote from Vi3t-X
Correction.

Crescent Dyne was already epicly phantastic. :bleh:
Sure... in a 13 year old's imagination. :rolleyes:

Quote from name:Tuxedo-Templar
The map wasn't vaporware. The hype over the terrain and the concept alone was the map. It achieved it's purpose without even needing completion.
EXACTLY. AUUUGGGHGHHHH.
There were triggers, I got to test a bunch of Lethal's test maps but they wouldn't let me see the version with the triggers in it.
Because it didn't exist :rolleyes:

None.

May 25 2008, 12:15 am Impeached Post #102

GOVERNMENTMAPPER CONSPIRACY?!

I dunno... Lethal seems pretty honest from what I know of him (although not much).

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 25 2008, 3:02 am by Impeached.

None.

May 25 2008, 4:59 am Vi3t-X Post #103

Lethal was always a good person at comp. But then again, you can never truly trust anyone now can you?

None.

May 25 2008, 5:36 pm payne Post #104

:payne:

Yes, you can trust me! :P
Anyway, I just wanted to say that WoodenFire was on B.net yesterday!! :O

None.

May 25 2008, 6:26 pm JaBoK Post #105

Lol, he's not paris hilton, he's allowed to go out without having media coverage =P

None.

May 26 2008, 1:26 am Symmetry Post #106

Dungeon Master

LOL. The Crescent Dyne legacy of mindless posting continues in this thread.

:voy: :jaff: :voy: :jaff:

Jun 2 2008, 6:34 am A_of-s_t Post #107

aka idmontie

Hmmm... If I open a map regularly, cant store and search throught the whole thing. If I open it in binary, it takes forever to load and search... dilemna.

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Jun 2 2008, 10:49 am Clokr_ Post #108

Open it in binary, load the whole chk into a byte array and work with it? What's probably slow are the I/O operations.

?????

Jun 4 2008, 5:34 am A_of-s_t Post #109

aka idmontie

Quote from Clokr_
Open it in binary, load the whole chk into a byte array and work with it? What's probably slow are the I/O operations.
Opening it in binary freezes up the program since its such a big file... and the file doesnt have any line breaks :(.

I think Im going to just write a C++ executable for that -- I know more about C++ than VB, so, I should get it done. However, that isn't the best coding practice >.>

Personal GitHub
TwitchTV

Jun 4 2008, 5:38 am fritfrat Post #110

Don't we already have Crescent Dyne back? We have a thread of 110 posts about nothing, and that's what I think of what I think of CD ;)

None.

Jun 4 2008, 5:45 am A_of-s_t Post #111

aka idmontie

Yes, but I'm making this program for codng expirience and debugging maps. And, I'd rather not make a whole other topic for something I might not finish.

Personal GitHub
TwitchTV

Jun 7 2008, 5:39 pm New-Guy Post #112

Well, I'm not going to complain. I'm just gonna hope that they get it done sometime before the next year is out (or SC2 comes out)

None.

Jun 8 2008, 1:17 am stickynote Post #113

I think a lot of people will still play the original starcraft, even after sc2 comes out. Map making for the original starcraft is fun because it's challenging to come up with ways of doing certain things with so few options.

None.

Jun 8 2008, 1:59 am pneumatic Post #114

Quote from stickynote
I think a lot of people will still play the original starcraft, even after sc2 comes out. Map making for the original starcraft is fun because it's challenging to come up with ways of doing certain things with so few options.
Yeah, I totally agree. Plus, the original Starcraft has a very unique flavor to it. Something about its atmosphere is really easy/pleasing/intuitive to work with. I think it's because the units look like real things, like tiny little model army men and so it feels like you're creating an actual world/diorama. You also have a lot of control over dimensions and space, since the perspective stays the same. With WC3 and SC2 it's more abstract/relative and the units look like CGI constructs with cool effects, rather than actual real objects. Even if WC3 and SC2 look more "accurate", SC is more tangible. It's almost like the difference between hand-drawn animation and CGI... with hand-drawn, you get a definite feel for what the world is and who the characters are, whereas with CGI things are more abstract and harder to get used to/less intuitive.

None.

Jun 8 2008, 4:10 pm payne Post #115

Aofst, once you'll have finished your program, try to contact Lethal to tell him :D

None.

Jun 9 2008, 6:49 pm A_of-s_t Post #116

aka idmontie

Until I finish my program, there's this one: http://www.staredit.net/files/460/

Personal GitHub
TwitchTV

Sep 3 2008, 3:08 pm payne Post #117

A of s t, ever finished your program? :D

None.

Sep 4 2008, 7:37 am DevliN Post #118

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Way to revive a basically dead topic. I suggest asking him via PM.

I'm closing this, it has served its purpose.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6
  Back to forum